Photos show Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs, Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak in upcoming film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Filming of the upcoming Steve Jobs biopic is underway, and newly published photos from the film's set show critically acclaimed actor Michael Fassbender in the lead role, alongside Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak.

Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs, and Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak. Photo via Daily Mail.

The pictures published on Monday by U.K. tabloid the Daily Mail offer the first glimpse of how Fassbender and Rogen will appear in their respective roles. Fassbender, is seen in a double-breasted jacket and bowtie with long hair combed back, presumably showing Jobs in the early days of Apple.

The set photos show Fassbender and Rogen talking and walking, and also interacting with the film's director, Danny Boyle.

Director Danny Boyle and star Michael Fassbender talk with Seth Rogen. Photo via Daily Mail.

Filming is taking place in California, near Apple's current headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. It was in nearby Los Altos where Jobs and Wozniak put together the boards of their first computer, the Apple I.

The cast of the Universal Studios film was officially announced last week, as principal photography on the project began. Based on the Walter Isaacson biography "Jobs," the film currently has the title of "Steve Jobs."

The script for the movie was penned by Aaron Sorkin who, like director Danny Boyle, is an Academy Award winner. The movie is believed to take place backstage at three product launches, ending with the iMac's debut in 1998.

Other notables in the cast include Jeff Daniels as former Apple CEO John Sculley, Kate Winslet as former Mac marketing lead Joanna Hoffman, Kateron Waterston as Jobs' former girlfriend Chrisann Brenna, and Michael Stuhlbarg as Mac programmer Andy Hertzfeld.

The movie had a tumultuous path before filming began, including the exit of director David Fincher, and a number of high-profile actors who turned down the lead role. Even the studio behind the movie swapped hands after Sony passed on the film last November.

Set photos below, via Daily Mail:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That looks terrible! It looks nothing like Steve Jobs at all!

They didn't even make any effort it seems! Couldn't they even have bothered to dye his hair or something?

Hell, with today's CGI technology, they should be able to make an actor look exactly like Steve Jobs! 

I am not impressed. At all.

• Reply 2 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Fassbender looks different every time I see him.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    That looks terrible! It looks nothing like Steve Jobs at all!

They didn't even make any effort it seems! Couldn't they even have bothered to dye his hair or something?

Hell, with today's CGI technology, they should be able to make an actor look exactly like Steve Jobs! 

I am not impressed. At all.

If you believe CGI is a viable option then you really shouldn't be complaining about some paparazzi taking photographs of actors walking around, unless you expect it to be an Avatar like production where the actors are in some green spandex suits with Styrofoam balls attached at their articulation points.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

If you believe CGI is a viable option then you really shouldn't be complaining about some paparazzi taking photographs of actors walking around, unless you expect it to be an Avatar like production where the actors are in some green spandex suits with Styrofoam balls attached at their articulation points.

I don't care how they do it, that's their problem. It's for them to figure out and solve. And the actors wouldn't have to wear green spandex suits with styrofoam balls attached to their body, because the body is irrelevant, the main thing that they need to get right would be the face.

All I know is that these pics look totally ridiculous and terrible.

• Reply 5 of 80
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member

I don't think it's necessary to look like someone in order to effectively portray them. 

However...

As I and others have said, the best thing to do would be to make a sequel to the Pirates of Silicon Valley movie. Pick up where it left off and go to SJ's death. Get the same cast back. There's nothing that could beat that. 

• Reply 6 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't care how they do it, that's their problem. It's for them to figure out and solve. And the actors wouldn't have to wear green spandex suits with styrofoam balls attached to their body, because the body is irrelevant, the main thing that they need to get right would be the face.

All I know is that these pics look totally ridiculous and terrible.

Is it remotely possible that it is less important the actor look exactly like Steve Jobs and more important that he acts the role accordingly?

I just checked: it is indeed possible.

• Reply 7 of 80
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I don't think it's necessary to look like someone in order to effectively portray them. 

However...

As I and others have said, the best thing to do would be to make a sequel to the Pirates of Silicon Valley movie. Pick up where it left off and go to SJ's death. Get the same cast back. There's nothing that could beat that. 

I love that movie. The only thing that bums me is that at the end, it gives a lot of people the impression that Microsoft owns part of Apple. I've had people tell me that. Ha.

Great flick. It wasn't aspiring to be anything super-great. And it looked low-budget, but it captured the crazy spirit of Jobs. Fun flick.

• Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is it remotely possible that it is less important the actor look exactly like Steve Jobs and more important that he acts the role accordingly?

I just checked: it is indeed possible.

I'd say that if you're portraying a real life person in a movie that's about that person, then at least try to make some effort to have it resemble the real life person. Why can't they act the role and look the role? That is better than just acting the role.

Look at the guy's hair and hair color. What a joke. Didn't they have the budget to buy a $5 tube of hair coloring at Rite-Aide?

Why not get a 350 LB fat guy to play Steve Jobs, as long as they did a good acting job? I mean, the resemblence is not that important right?

• Reply 9 of 80
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Horribble choice of actor for Steve!..
    Nothing about him has the look or vibe of Steve !!!
  • Reply 10 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

However...

I love that movie. The only thing that bums me is that at the end, it gives a lot of people the impression that Microsoft owns part of Apple. I've had people tell me that. Ha.

Great flick. It wasn't aspiring to be anything super-great. And it looked low-budget, but it captured the crazy spirit of Jobs. Fun flick.

Microsoft did. They have since sold their share though.

• Reply 11 of 80
    Noah Wylie will be the only Steve Jobs that suspended my disbelief.

And who was "endorsed" by the original at a keynote!
  • Reply 12 of 80
    I think Fassbender and Jobs both have an air of arrogance about them, but I think Fassbender has a suave arrogance and Jobs was a confrontational arrogance. My guess is it's neither going to do well in either ticket sales or awards.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/54957/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 13 of 80
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Steve Jobs hair was much darker and Woz hair is not curly just short of a fro. Bad. No.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think Fassbender and Jobs both have an air of arrogance about them, but I think Fassbender has a suave arrogance and Jobs was a confrontational arrogance. My guess is it's neither going to do well in either ticket sales or awards.

Too bad they didn't cast James Franco as Steve Jobs.
    Seth Rogen? Seriously?
  • Reply 15 of 80

And meanwhile Tim looks like Woz !

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

(Scoopertino)

• Reply 16 of 80
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Give it a chance, it might be surprisingly good.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Noah Wylie will be the only Steve Jobs that suspended my disbelief.

The Librarian

zaba wrote: »
    Give it a chance, it might be surprisingly good.

I wholeheartedly agree that if it's good, it will certainly be surprising. :D
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Give it an F'ng chance before you bash it.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

I'm presuming that this was an informal dress rehearsal or walk-through to block out shots..While Bale would have been the best choice to create a physical match

they can, and I'm sure will, do a much better job with makeup and hair.

Fassbender can look a bit aged in closeup, so they will have to do something to young him up for Jobs' earlier years.

And while Jobs was never heavy, he did have his periods where he was a bit beefier:

So, depending upon what points in history they're dealing with, they might have Fassebender put 10-15 pounds on...

• Reply 20 of 80
    Give it an F'ng chance before you bash it.

Ok Seth- will do.