hard drive question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i have my (first) iMac for a month now,

just wondering if the hard drive needs any optimization or regular maintenance, like those things (scan disk, defrag. etc)in the PC?

i ve posted this once, but no one seems to care, so i post it again here.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>i have my (first) iMac for a month now,

just wondering if the hard drive needs any optimization or regular maintenance, like those things (scan disk, defrag. etc)in the PC?

i ve posted this once, but no one seems to care, so i post it again here.

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

As far as regular maintenence for the HD, there are no programs available. Since OS X has been out for over a year and I've really not heard an outcry for this sort of program, I'd imagine it's not really necessary. I think (speaking only from experience) that if you don't have any irregular experiences, like crashs or power outages, you should be fine with the basic stuff that OS X does on it's own. That is, when it's booting up it does what's called a file system check (fsck) when it says 'checking disks.' It also does any repairs that are necessary. So, again, as long as you're allow your computer to shut down gracefully, you should be ok. HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks, guys!

i am feeling more comfortable with my first Mac now!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I looked at a graph of my hard drive using TechTool Pro (OS 9) and found that two solid lines of graph blocks are fragmented. Hmm???