iOS 8.3 beta introduces wireless support for Apple's CarPlay, improves emoji keyboard

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
The forthcoming release of iOS 8.3 will enable wireless CarPlay support, removing the requirement for iPhones to be connected to head units through a Lightning cable. It also includes a revised emoji keyboard that allows users to scroll and browse more easily.

The first pre-release beta of iOS 8.3 was released to developers on Monday. Perhaps the biggest change is a new CarPlay menu that can be found in the General category of the Settings application.

From there, Apple shows a diagram with instructions for using wireless CarPlay. Users can configure it by holding the voice control button on their steering wheel to start CarPlay setup.

The iOS 8.3 update gives no indication as to what current CarPlay head units will offer wireless support.

Also in the first beta of iOS 8.3 is a newly redesigned emoji keyboard. Upon accessing the keyboard, developers can see a new, semi-transparent background and a changed look and feel.

Apple has also made it possible to scroll through the emojis more easily, automatically switching to the next parent menu without the need to tap the buttons at the bottom of the screen.

The parent menus themselves have also been updated with new logos and categories. They appear to include people, nature, food, festive emoji, motion, buildings/vehicles, and symbols.

Finally, iOS 8.3 also includes support for Google's two-step verification when adding a Google account to an iOS device. Users simply enter the verification code generated by their mobile application to securely verify.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Finally some updates to Swift!!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Anyone know if 8.2 fixes the "feature" where Safari can kick you to the App Store? It's so annoying. Yesterday it happened to me like 5 times. And every time it's for some stupid app like candy crush. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Wireless CarPlay is a nice step forward. Hopefully there will be several car manufacturers supporting it by the time I'm due to update my lease at the end of the year.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Finally some updates to Swift!!

I know!! Apple announced this brand new programming language just over 6 months ago and they're only at version 1.2!! /s
  • Reply 5 of 23
    According to 9to5Mac Apple is also working on 8.4 which might have Beats music integration. Seems like a lot of point releases between now and WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anyone know if 8.2 fixes the "feature" where Safari can kick you to the App Store? It's so annoying. Yesterday it happened to me like 5 times. And every time it's for some stupid app like candy crush. image

SO RIDICULOUS RIGHT?

I'm not normally one of those, "did they fix X bug, yet," people, but I thought they had actually fixed that in an early build of 8.0. Only recently did I realize this is not the case and in some instances it makes me want to scream.

• Reply 7 of 23
    nobodyy wrote: »
    SO RIDICULOUS RIGHT?

I'm not normally one of those, "did they fix X bug, yet," people, but I thought they had actually fixed that in an early build of 8.0. Only recently did I realize this is not the case and in some instances it makes me want to scream.

I can't believe Apple allows this. Talk about a crappy user experience.
  • Reply 8 of 23

But does it fix the Bluetooth bugs (e.g. for hands free phone usage in cars with Bluetooth-enabled head units) that have plagued iOS since 8.1.1? 

• Reply 9 of 23
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

The popup of the mobile world.

I wish I could grab the people who did that by the neck and tell them that they are the reason for the rapid decay of the Internet, before viciously tearing out their throats with my teeth. 

Yeah, I'm that upset about it. I've lost a considerable amount of time thinking that I happened to click on something accidentally and constantly trying to refresh the page only to be directed elsewhere. X(

• Reply 10 of 23

Please don't text emoji and drive. :D

• Reply 11 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Maybe 10 users...since CarPlay hardware are rarely available.

• Reply 12 of 23
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lolliver wrote: »
    Wireless CarPlay is a nice step forward. Hopefully there will be several car manufacturers supporting it by the time I'm due to update my lease at the end of the year.

My guess is it's BT+WiFi or WiFi so it'll have to be a car that includes WiFi.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »
    My guess is it's BT+WiFi or WiFi so it'll have to be a car that includes WiFi.

Yeah I would agree that it will most likely need wifi which will limit the number of cars it's available on. It won't be a deal breaker for me if my next car doesn't have wifi but it could be the deciding factor between two options I like if one has wireless CarPlay.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member
    Quote:

According to 9to5Mac Apple is also working on 8.4 which might have Beats music integration. Seems like a lot of point releases between now and WWDC.

no kidding right. It'll be amazing if they release 8.2, 8.3, & 8.4 before WWDC.  

• Reply 15 of 23
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lolliver wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree that it will most likely need wifi which will limit the number of cars it's available on. It won't be a deal breaker for me if my next car doesn't have wifi but it could be the deciding factor between two options I like if one has wireless CarPlay.

It would be a nice option to not have my iPhone plugged in on a short drive, but I almost always plug my phone in to charge it so it won't be a dealbreaker for me.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    So is this basically Apple moving from waterfall to agile development? One wonders if Apple will ever decouple stock apps from OS like Android does. Or perhaps incorporate changes into point releases? In some ways it seems like Apple almost wants people to use third-party apps (or doesn't really want to compete with them) as many third-party apps are better than Apple's stock apps. But if that's the case it's odd then that Apple doesn't allow users to set default apps.

Anyway the first party app that degraded the most with iOS 8 is Safari so I hope we see major improvements to it in iOS 9.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Maybe 10 users...since CarPlay hardware are rarely available.

Huh? I'm talking about Safari on iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    nobodyy wrote: »

The popup of the mobile world.

I wish I could grab the people who did that by the neck and tell them that they are the reason for the rapid decay of the Internet, before <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">viciously </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">tearing out their throats with my teeth. </span>

Yeah, I'm that upset about it. I've lost a considerable amount of time thinking that I happened to click on something accidentally and constantly trying to refresh the page only to be directed elsewhere. X(

Apparently it happens on Android too. Someone told me to disable JavaScript. Great. So now :rolleyes:I can have an even sh*ttier experience on the web. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

So is this basically Apple moving from waterfall to agile development? One wonders if Apple will ever decouple stock apps from OS like Android does. Or perhaps incorporate changes into point releases? In some ways it seems like Apple almost wants people to use third-party apps (or doesn't really want to compete with them) as many third-party apps are better than Apple's stock apps. But if that's the case it's odd then that Apple doesn't allow users to set default apps.

Anyway the first party app that degraded the most with iOS 8 is Safari so I hope we see major improvements to it in iOS 9.

My (former) Galaxy Tab had more bloatware than any Windoze computer I've ever owned. NONE of it can be easily removed, especially carrier (Sprint model) specific apps without rooting it and installing a custom ROM. Considering Android's lack of security as it is, there was no way I was rooting that thing. 

• Reply 20 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Huh? I'm talking about Safari on iPhone and iPad.

He probably read the article and assumed you were talking about it, instead of your own unrelated gripe.

-------

On Topic comment:

I can see why some would want wireless CarPlay, if they are used to the experience of Bluetooth voice+music in the car....Personally, i have the option right now of Bluetooth or plug-in via USB with my infotainment, and I opt to plug-in all the time, as the advantages are undeniable: 1. Phone remains charged instead of drained after the use of things like music/phone/GPS, 2. Audio is higher quality over USB, 3. Physically tethered in the car is indistinguishable from wireless as you're not handling the phone itself much.