Rumor: Apple preparing to 'give Tesla a run for its money' with new automotive project

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple is supposedly working on a vehicle-related project that is "too exciting to pass up" for potential hires, according to a new report, and is said to have employees from electric carmaker Tesla "jumping ship" in order to take part.


Tesla's upcoming Model X crossover.


"Apple's latest project is too exciting to pass up," an unnamed Apple employee is said to have told BusinessInsider. "I think it will change the landscape and give Tesla a run for its money."

No further detail was given, and it is unclear exactly how Apple would compete with Tesla. The publication suggests that Apple may be working on a new in-car experience that would function something like an enhanced version of CarPlay and control more vehicle functions, but this would not be fundamentally at odds with Tesla's mandate of selling electric cars.

Apple could be working on a full-fledged car --?late company cofounder Steve Jobs was said to have taken an interest in such an effort --?but that seems unlikely, as does Apple's rumored development of self-driving vehicle technology, a field which Tesla is known to be exploring.

Despite suggestions to the contrary, a number of mysterious sensor-laden vans registered to Apple and spotted around the country in recent weeks are unlikely to be related to autonomous vehicles. Rather, the vans' sensor kit is almost certainly meant for so-called "ground truth" data collection destined for Apple Maps.

While Apple's intentions are unclear, the company is known to have heavily recruited Tesla engineers, offering $250,000 bonuses and significant salary bumps. Relatively few have made the move.

"Apple tries very hard to recruit from Tesla," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said last week. "But so far they've actually recruited very few people."
«13456710

Comments

  • Reply 2 of 199
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,483member
    Please - no "self driving cars." Self driving cars aren't going to happen.
  • Reply 3 of 199
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Please - no "self driving cars." Self driving cars aren't going to happen.

    I think they will. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.
  • Reply 4 of 199

    The age-old steering wheel is being replaced by the Click Wheel. Makes sense.

  • Reply 5 of 199
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    I think they are. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.

     

    This is true. It is also true that regulation will lag behind technology by about 20 years in this case due to misinformed legislators and members of the public and media beating the fear drum, so it won't actually be legal until we're old.

  • Reply 6 of 199
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,084member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post



    Please - no "self driving cars." Self driving cars aren't going to happen.




    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    I think they are. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.

    There are more safety issues with self driving cars as well. All you need is one accident caused by a bug or fault in the self driving car and whichever company owns that car will go bankrupt. Tell me which insurance company will insure a car that has no driver? How are you going to sue a car for an accident? If people aren't driving the car then auto insurance companies won't have anything to insure because the people inside the car can't be at fault because they weren't driving. Optical recognition of streets/roads/highways and other vehicles would only work if all the roads were changed so nobody could change lanes or speed. Let's spend more time on developing something that would actually help society in the near future instead of trying to copy iRobot.

  • Reply 7 of 199
    almondroca wrote: »
    The age-old steering wheel is being replaced by the Click Wheel. Makes sense.

    I just imagined someone driving with a ClickWheel and couldn't stop laughing.

    Anyway, go check out the Steeri video on YouTube.
  • Reply 8 of 199
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rob53 wrote: »
    There are more safety issues with self driving cars as well. All you need is one accident caused by a bug or fault in the self driving car and whichever company owns that car will go bankrupt. Tell me which insurance company will insure a car that has no driver? How are you going to sue a car for an accident? If people aren't driving the car then auto insurance companies won't have anything to insure because the people inside the car can't be at fault because they weren't driving. Optical recognition of streets/roads/highways and other vehicles would only work if all the roads were changed so nobody could change lanes or speed. Let's spend more time on developing something that would actually help society in the near future instead of trying to copy iRobot.

    1) No one said 2015 was the year it will happen.

    2) Who is going to insure an automobile now when there could be faulty mechanics? Or an airplane or airline? Does having a pilot and co-pilot in a plane mean that airlines can't be sued? Clearly there will be a lot of testing performed and new laws made to meet the new demand, but it would be hubris to think that cars will never drive themselves, or park themselves, or control their cruising speed, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 199
    BusinessInsider eh? You should take this rumor with a life-threatening amount of salt.
  • Reply 10 of 199
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,276member

    Uh oh 

     

    The Segway pt II 

  • Reply 11 of 199
    ppietrappietra Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    I think they are. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.

    There are studies that show that self driving cars might actually be worse for congestion. Human drive more aggressively with higher acceleration curves which reduces latency/lag specially on crossroads.

  • Reply 12 of 199
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Semi-off-topic… I was reading today that all the new cars with fancy wireless features are at risk of being hacked remotely, even to the point of taking control of the steering, brakes and speed if you have one of these cars that can park itself. Apparently, the car makers have made little attempt to address this.

     

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/scary-things-hackers-car/story?id=28831616

  • Reply 13 of 199
    Apple is working on something that will give Tesla a run for its money, eh? This begs the question: WHO ISN'T? http://teslamondo.com/2014/05/25/yipes-watch-out-tesla-move-over-tesla/
  • Reply 14 of 199
    Several major auto manufacturers (especially high end brands like Mercedes) are making it a top priority starting with the 2015-2016 models as a way to differentiate themselves. It's inevitable. And coming very soon.
    eightzero wrote: »
    Please - no "self driving cars." Self driving cars aren't going to happen.
  • Reply 15 of 199
    If self driving cars aren't on the road yet how does one conduct a study? Sounds dubious at best.
    ppietra wrote: »
    There are studies that show that self driving cars might actually be worse for congestion. Human drive more aggressively with higher acceleration curves which reduces latency/lag specially on crossroads.
  • Reply 16 of 199
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,367member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think they are. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.

    There must be a lot out there already. Here in Sarasota most people seem to be staring at a phone while driving!
  • Reply 17 of 199
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,367member
    mstone wrote: »
    Semi-off-topic… I was reading today that all the new cars with fancy wireless features are at risk of being hacked remotely, even to the point of taking control of the steering, brakes and speed if you have one of these cars that can park itself. Apparently, the car makers have made little attempt to address this.

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/scary-things-hackers-car/story?id=28831616

    News 2017: 300 driverless BMWs were see in convoy crossing the Mexican border. Police suspect foul play.
  • Reply 18 of 199
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,367member
    ppietra wrote: »
    There are studies that show that self driving cars might actually be worse for congestion. Human drive more aggressively with higher acceleration curves which reduces latency/lag specially on crossroads.

    I'm guessing you own a funeral home and are biased after reading your post.
  • Reply 19 of 199

    Apple battery factory vs gigafactory?

  • Reply 20 of 199
    sumergosumergo Posts: 206member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    I think they are. There are a lot of safety and congestion benefits to the idea.

    Yes, there is a lot of upside to taking driving out of the hands of humans, but there's a lot of work to be done yet.

     

    Car ads these days show grinning technicians as they watch their car screech to a halt after showing some collision avoidance heads-up display warning.

     

    I'd look in the mirror first before slamming on the brakes or deciding to perhaps swerve.  I can't think of any AI programs that have that sensitivity to events yet.

Sign In or Register to comment.