What I dont understand....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What I dont understand is how LCD flat panel monitors have low resolutions, yet you can find PC laptops w/15 inch screens with very high res like 1600x1200!! This is the reason I did not get a flat panel when my dad wanted to get one. Surely it's not an LCD thing because if not how are these PC laptops getting such high resolution screens? Why cant they use these UXGA or what not screens in flat panel displays? This puzzles me! I would love to get one, but 1280x1024 on an 18.1" just isnt gonna cut it for me. I

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Because most people don't want such fine resolutions on tiny screens. I run 1280x1024 on a 19 inch CRT. Any higher, and I'd get a headache.

Personally, I would hate to use a laptop with a 1600x1200 15 inch LCD.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Personally, I would hate to use a laptop with a 1600x1200 15 inch LCD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would too. Everything must be extremely tiny.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Agreed. It becomes a numbers and marketing game. Many manufacturers thrive on the "geeks" who check out every spec and rating of a specific monitor.

Know full well that the majority of people probably would not find those high resolutions of any use.

I had a concern about the iMac, but so far so good and I don't have any complaints about the resolution. My problem is the LCD is too bright that I have to dim it to prevent from going blind!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i know there are many people who have been calling for a better resolution powerbook screen. i'm assuming those people use professional graphics applications. however, i have a ti400 now and i have found it is at the perfect resolution. it's not hard on the eyes. the only problems is brightness.

if/when apple updates the powerbook, i hope they update lcd's by making them brighter and have the option for a higher resolution display.

the high end model would come with a higher resolution screen standard and the low end model would come with the current 1152x768 resolution. for $25-$50 (not sure about pricing), the lower end model could be upgraded to the higher resolution lcd.

the other possible solution would be to use a new lcd that can run at a higher resolution or the 1152x768 without degrading the view. for instance, i remember hearing that the current 12.1" ibooks, when run at 800x600 look a little blocky (or something to that effect).

if apple could fix this choppy problem, then there would be no need for 2 different displays for the tibook.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>the high end model would come with a higher resolution screen standard and the low end model would come with the current 1152x768 resolution. for $25-$50 (not sure about pricing), the lower end model could be upgraded to the higher resolution lcd.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That might be how much more it costs Apple, but I'd be surprised if it's how much more it costs us.

[quote]<strong>the other possible solution would be to use a new lcd that can run at a higher resolution or the 1152x768 without degrading the view. for instance, i remember hearing that the current 12.1" ibooks, when run at 800x600 look a little blocky (or something to that effect).

if apple could fix this choppy problem, then there would be no need for 2 different displays for the tibook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This problem is intrinsic to the way LCDs are made. Apple already has above-average scaling, but the only way it'll ever look perfect is if the resolution is halved (or quartered...). 1600 x 1200 can display 800 x 600 quite cleanly, because no antialiasing is necessary.