Ergonomics of trackballs vs. mice?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've used both, and I keep going back and forth on which is better. In my experience, trackballs place the stress on the hand and forearm muscles, while mice stress the larger shoulder and back muscles more. I've read a few articles about ergonomics that give the nod to trackballs because they allow more of the arm to relax, but I would think that you'd want to have the larger shoulder and back muscles to bear the brunt of the work, not the smaller arm muscles? Any thoughts?

One thing I am convinced of is that the ergonomics of the Apple optical pro mouse SUCK. I've never had a problem with any of their beige mice, but after only a few hours use of the optical mouse, my arm feels like it's about to fall off. (And yes, I am looking for a replacment.)

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: jesperas ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Well, after years of using various mouses, i switched to a Logitech Trackman Wheel, which i think is the most comfortable pointing device ever devised. The shape is unobtrusive but fits perfectly, and the 'thumb-ball' is surprisingly easy to use. My arm hurts far less than before.

-robo