Automakers in Geneva cautious, 'concerned' about 'disruptive interloper' Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    I love the comments made by the BMW rep. The reasons why the auto manufacturers quoted in the article above have had such success is that they actually use their collective intelligence. GM is full of stupid fucks and that's exactly why the big ballooned giant will continue, time and time again, to crumble.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually many systems on a modern airliners are close to being pilotless right now. As for cars I see it being a very long ways off myself, especially in the snowy north where at times seeing the road is very difficult. Further things like traction control work agianst you to get you where you are going. I'm sure they could sell a car into this market but honestly a manual option is needed.

I don't think we'll see a 100% self-driving car for a long, long time.  But I do think we'll see vehicles with self-driving functionality that work 50-70% of the time.  It won't be all or nothing.  Until the AI advances significantly, there will always be situations where the person will need to take control.  But for people commuting to work every day in relatively controlled conditions, or running errands around the suburbs, self-driving functionality will probably become reality in the next decade or so.

Unless Apple has a significant break through battery wise they will need to have hybrid capabilities to interest me. There simply aren't enough charging options to justify an all electric if you expect to travel any distance often. I'd really prefer an iTruck to be honest. Something like a pickup that is versatile and not limiting like a sedan. Note I said like a pickup, there are many passable variations on the theme possible here and even a small van has its possibilities.

I'm curious, how many miles per charge would be adequate for you to go all electric?  It seems to me that, for most people, a daily range of 200ish miles is more than enough.  Yes, it makes long road trips challenging, but day to day life?  Come home, plug it in.

The interesting thing here is that Apple would need to either enter into partnerships soon or buy a plant someplace. I'm really hoping too that they don't go the China route with production. It is one side to buy imported electronics when that industry left the states years ago, it is another thing to contribute to the end of the industry in the US.

100% agree.

• Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It is almost some kind of strange mass delusion. It only exists in blogosphere; talk to anyone in the real world and its obvious autonomous driving is a fantasy. And its not for a lack of technology.

It's not a fantasy at all.  It's a far-off reality.  The sensors, the manufacturing processes, materials, etc. all exist today.  The missing component is adequate AI.  It will come.  Give it another few decades.

• Reply 44 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

Their biggest disadvantage being none of them are as rich as Apple and couldn't quickly buy their way into whatever advancements Apple is able to introduce.

Oh, I’m certain they could. That’s where their up to a century or more of experience in the industry will help them immensely.

Whether Apple is creating its own vehicle or Tesla is creating a vehicle with Designed by Apple in California etched on it is irrelevant. The existing car manufacturers will have a large advantage–different from Apple’s other industries–in that large size and large scale manufacturing will let them keep the cost of implementing their own copies of Apple’s new tech far more competitive than otherwise.

• Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Quote:

These are not the reasons why autonomous driving is not happening any time soon, if ever. Little things like this could be worked out.

They don't hold a candle to the obstacle of public adoption...the public could not be less interested in giving up DRIVING. 

It stuns me how some people willfully ignore this, or just pretend like its a forgone conclusion once the tech is ready. Its not. Its something that all people would have to want, or it falls completely flat on its face, and goes back in the idea drawer. 

Many in the younger generation don't care to drive, at all. The car is not the status symbol it used to be.   http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/01/social-media-driving-millennials/2898093/

Plus, once it's shown to be safer, the insurance industry will lobby it straight through congress, and self-driving cars will get much more expensive in a big hurry.

That looks like a Freudian slip.

• Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Quote:

It is almost some kind of strange mass delusion. It only exists in blogosphere; talk to anyone in the real world and its obvious autonomous driving is a fantasy. And its not for a lack of technology.

It's not a fantasy at all.  It's a far-off reality.  The sensors, the manufacturing processes, materials, etc. all exist today.  The missing component is adequate AI.  It will come.  Give it another few decades.

Unfortunately, as pmz has said, the technology is only part of the equation. 

Quite apart from driver satisfaction, combining autonomous cars with normal ones would be extremely difficult. Every single habitable place would have to be transformed to ban pedestrians from roads. Such a monumental overhaul would take unimaginable resources, and considering the huge debt of almost every country in the world today, the prospect of such a future is so far off that it’s not worth considering.

• Reply 47 of 76
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I hate motorbikes with a passion....

Being a sport-motorbike rider for 30 years, my doing something that irks the hell out of you is music to my ears.  If you would be so kind as to give me your address, I'll make certain to do plenty of burnouts when I'm in the area.

• Reply 48 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Oh, I’m certain they could. That’s where their up to a century or more of experience in the industry will help them immensely.

Whether Apple is creating its own vehicle or Tesla is creating a vehicle with Designed by Apple in California etched on it is irrelevant. The existing car manufacturers will have a large advantage–different from Apple’s other industries–in that large size and large scale manufacturing will let them keep the cost of implementing their own copies of Apple’s new tech far more competitive than otherwise.

Plus all the strides Tesla makes are being made public knowledge. Nothing is done in secret, so the automakers aren't going to be caught off guard. I wouldn't be surprised if they're not already working on improving the work Tesla has already done.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Strong AI isn't required to drive a car any more than AI is required to pilot a jet. Aircraft today are capable of taking off, flying and landing without a pilot and driverless vehicles should be available in 4-5 years. Six years, tops.

• Reply 50 of 76
    Strong AI isn't required to drive a car any more than AI is required to pilot a jet. Aircraft today are capable of taking off, flying and landing without a pilot and driverless vehicles should be available in 4-5 years. Six years, tops.

When's the last time a ball came bouncing out in front of a airplane? Case closed
  • Reply 51 of 76

I think that's optimistic. You can't compare planes to cars. There are so many more variables when you're talking about driving, the sheer number of other drivers alone being one of them. Whether it's 5 or 15 years away, the missing component is software that can adequately replace a human. Not there yet. No doubt it will come.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    robbyx wrote: »

I think that's optimistic. You can't compare planes to cars. There are so many more variables when you're talking about driving, the sheer number of other drivers alone being one of them. Whether it's 5 or 15 years away, the missing component is software that can adequately replace a human. Not there yet. No doubt it will come.

50 years away is optimistic.

Try 500.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

50 years away is optimistic.

Try 500.

Ha.  Now I know you're just trolling.  In 50 years, self driving vehicles will be the norm.  500 years from now they will have been consigned to the dustbin of history.  If we're still around and not consigned with them, you can rest assured we won't be using cars for transportation.

• Reply 54 of 76

Ha.  Now I know you're just trolling.  In 50 years, self driving vehicles will be the norm.  500 years from now they will have been consigned to the dustbin of history.  If we're still around and not consigned with them, you can rest assured we won't be using cars for transportation.

What did people 50 years ago think would be the norm today, and isn't?
  • Reply 55 of 76
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

More interesting is what they imagined for the distend future that is now here. A good idea of what people 50 years ago imagined for the future would be Star Trek (I think it was produced in the mid to late 60's.) Talking computers, computers that understand speech, hand held computers and communicators, hand held scientific sensors, a database of general knowledge available online, medical scanners, FTL travel, and teleportation.

I'd say we've done amazingly well. Essentially we have realized all but those last two!

• Reply 56 of 76
    Bratzel talking about getting closer to autonomous driving is mad. It's not going to happen. We'll have pilotless airlines before we have driverless cars.

We'll have to see on this one. An Audi drove itself and passengers from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for CES, but there weren't any airliners doing that.

The US Air Force has a cargo aircraft that has been actively able to take off, fly to two different drop points before flying on to a final destination to land itself. It has been able to do this since the late 1960s. At the time I served, this was the only deployed aircraft with a amazing analog computer on board that drew information from a group off instruments as well as internal correction data. By today's standards it was a very simple computer. While some smaller aircraft had inertial navigation, the specific cargo aircraft I'm referring to did not use inertial navigation to fid its way, nor did I ever hear of the aircraft ever flying without a crew in a operational mission.

The computer, at the time, was designed to be preset before takeoff where to drop freight and where to land without a crew. Only with a crew could the drop points and landing location be changed A reminder: this was all before GPS had been deployed or even hinted at.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

The day your doctor declares you unfit to drive, you'll be very happy to have an auto (read: driverless car).

You do not want to rely on your grandchildren to drive you around once every Sunday.

I believe Autos are already fully operational in big warehouses, like Amazon?

• Reply 58 of 76
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Flying cars.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    desuserign wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    More interesting is what they imagined for the distend future that is now here. A good idea of what people 50 years ago imagined for the future would be Star Trek (I think it was produced in the mid to late 60's.) <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">Talking computers, computers that understand speech, hand held computers and communicators, hand held scientific sensors, a database of general knowledge available online, medical scanners, FTL travel, and teleportation.</span>

I'd say we've done amazingly well. Essentially we have realized all but those last two!

There's a difference between realised and common usage.

Most people don't talk to their computers because it's inefficient and unnecessary.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    I just don't see how Apple could ever build a car, unless they partner with one of the already established manufacturers from Europe or Japan and license an existing platform. Also pricing will be a major factor.

The American car market is very different from the European. That's why there are no American cars in Europe. I'm just trying to be polite...