Apple in talks to become launch partner for cable-free HBO Now service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    If Apple used BitTorrent technology to stream it, the more users watching, the better the stream.

But that would require users to share their upstream bandwidth with others. If I'm gonna do that, I want a discount.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

HBO is a really great service with a depth of offerings. This could be very successful for HBO.

Any time you can sell directly to the consumer, provided that you can reach the consumer, you can make more money.

Bad times for cable operators are coming... but I guess they can always charge more for internet access and then throttle services and demand a tribute or ransom to support them.

• Reply 23 of 28
    maccaguymaccaguy Posts: 70member
    If this is pretty much the same as HBO Go (series, comedy, selection of movies) AND its $15 per month, I'll switch right now. I'm paying $19 per month for HBO through Dish, and anything I can do to eat away at Dish, I'm all for.

And as bad as Dish is, they're still better than the other options in my neck of the woods!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

$15/month? Hmm... I don't know about that. How much is it to just get a season pass on iTunes (or is such a thing even available)?

Unfortunately it's only available on iTunes several months after the season has ended unlike most shows which are available the next day after an episode airs.  I'm sure this is because it's an HBO show and since they're a premium subscription channel unlike a regular cable TV channel such as AMC they want to 'force' people to subscribe in order to see the show during first run.

There is a reason Game of Thrones is the most pirated show on the Internet!  Personally I think $15/mo for just HBO is quite a bit, but I would be willing to just subscribe for the 3 months that GOT is on and then cancel my subscription as long as there is no long term commitment.  I canceled cable about 3 1/2 years ago, bought an HD antenna and have never looked back.  Sure I do miss some programing like ESPN sports, but I've saved almost $3,500 in that timespan!  I think a few sacrifices are worth that kind of money.  

• Reply 25 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member

Competition, choices are all good. I personally have no interest in HBO. 

• Reply 26 of 28
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    It seems like the new approach to TV will be much like Clash of Clans. Buy a station here, a station there, a season here, a season there and before you know it, you're paying more than you were with cable.

$15 is at least double what I'd be willing to pay. Perhaps it makes sense for someone who watches hours & hours of TV weekly.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay $15 a month. If all these channels are going to add up to what my cable bill is, then there's no point in this business model.

then it's not for you. for me, the point is I don't watch all those channels. I just want one thing. with this I can have it. your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    bofhbofh Posts: 8member
    I hope it's successful. If it is, we'll see more content producers follow suit. The HBO move is great, they produce a lot of great original content including my current favorite, Last Week Tonight, but I'll be keeping cable and paying for HBO that way until I don't need cable for Warriors Basketball. If that ever happens, that I can watch the Dubs on Apple TV live while the game is happening, I'll stop paying for channels. Cable has me by the short and curlies on that one.