Absolutely ridiculous

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just gave my grandmother one of my old computers and was going to hook up internet for her. She tried dial up in the past, but it never worked right and was too complicated for her. So I said try either cable or DSL high speed. She doesn't need the speed but it is just easier since it is always on.

So I had her first call Time Warner to get Road Runner. Well the person she talked to told her she couldn't have it since she only gets like 10 channels on cable ( its called the granny plan ) and would have to move up to basic thus increasing her bill by $65. She thought this was way too much just to have internet so she said no.

Next she called Frontier to get Lightning Link DSL.

[Bold]When they found out she had a mac, they said it would cost her an additional $50 just to hook it up even though we choose to do the self connect! ( they hook up modem to the line and we install software and hook up modem to computer )[/Bold]

I can't believe that. So she said hell no, called back Time Warner and this person said she could have it even with the granny plan. It gets installed today.

Can you believe the nerve of some companies? Treating mac users like second class citizens. She was prepared to pay $40 a month but they didn't want it from her since she is a mac user.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    It's probably not just that she's on a Mac. Companies overcharge old ladies all the time, just because they can usually get away with it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Damn. Some companies are just really horrible.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pacbell tried that with me, my dad called them up and they said no macs. then I did a little research(i never belived at all, but needed proof) and there website says the EnterNet 300 sw is compatible with OS9 and OSX uses its built in Internet Connect can you belive these guys!!!!

<a href="http://www.pacbell.com/DSL_new/content/0,5289,55,00.html"; target="_blank">os9 </a><a href="http://dialup.pacbell.net/mac_osx/index.html"; target="_blank">osX</a>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Guys I worked for an ISP in my previous job and even though the company I worked for was a pretty decent one I realize that the Broadband industry is a total joke and customer service NIGHTMARE. The reason why so many Telecom companies are going out of business is because of extremely poor service. I'm not suprised at all. I've damn near given up on the overhyped dreams of easy Broadband.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Guys I worked for an ISP in my previous job and even though the company I worked for was a pretty decent one I realize that the Broadband industry is a total joke and customer service NIGHTMARE.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup.

And there's Mike Eisner telling people that it's not taking off because people can't watch movies streamed over the net.

I had a trouble-free DSL connection, and then I moved to a trouble-free cable connection. Both came with instructions for Mac users. I must be one of the luckiest people in America.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>