What to expect at Apple's 'Spring Forward' event on Monday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

The Apple TV could have some "link" to the watch if the watch is a way of controlling it.  I think it could be a good moment to talk about how the watch can be a part of the smart home ecosystem because it can be a way to control home devices.  I think it make a lots of senses since we will be wearing the watch all the time, unlike our phone.  I can see the watch controlling lights, door locks, the TV, alarm system, security cameras,  termostat ...

At this point they dont need to have a major revamp of TV content to introduce a new Apple TV, they could do it with a focus on smart home.

• Reply 22 of 97
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    There will be new bluetooth headphones - for the Watch . Beats or Apple branded. That's the question.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Really not bothered with the Watch but I'm gagging for a new Apple TV!
  • Reply 24 of 97
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So even if you can only get, say, 30% charge level in that quick top-off, you would be okay.

So you're constantly running on empty looking for a custom specialized charging station for your watch all day long. At a minimum you have to buy one for work, the car as well as the one at home so you're covered -- maybe even one for the bedroom, and living room. Then you have to remember to put the watch back on after these brief charging breaks, when the watch is useless. Then you have to re-authenticate it with your iPhone so it's authorized to make ?Payments, along with any other security features removing it from your wrist breaks. 

At home, you have a specialized surface where you line up your MacBook, your iPad, your iPhone, and now your ?Watch. Remember to plug everything in before bed so it's ready to go the next day, except the watch which some may use during the night. The shower sounds like a good idea until you realize that's exactly where it might come in handy, assuming it's waterproof -- alerting you to a call, text or e-mail that almost always seem to come when you're in the shower. And of course, when you put it on you have to authenticate it, otherwise when you dash into Starbucks for your morning coffee without your wallet, ?Pay won't work. And how many times have I left the house in a rush and forgotten one of my devices? Countless. Now the watch which is supposed to make everyone's life so much more convenient than pulling your phone out of your pocket, has to be kept track of, and grabbed off your office charger, or the car charger, or the bedroom charger, or the living room charger, or whatever charger you left it on last, as you dash out for the next event in your life, which oh by the way the ?Watch won't alert you to because it's on the charger. And it's not just the watch, it's one more electronic device a person has to keep track of throughout the day. And what happens if you forget to pack your ?Watch charger on a trip? Oops. I guess hotels are going to have to start keeping the single use charger on hand to accommodate guests. Or hope you go to a city with an Apple store, or the ?Watch is so widespread that the charger will be available even at the local Wal-Mart. Or are staying with a relative who also has an ?Watch. Of course if you go on vacation to El Salvador, then you may have a problem.

Nah, this won't be a big deal for anybody. People are just being lazy who complain about this issue. /s

• Reply 25 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wouldn't it be cool if Cook said into his watch "meet me on stage" and KITT arrived!
  • Reply 26 of 97
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    iWatch, iWatch and only things directly related to the sales of iWatches
  • Reply 27 of 97
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

The event will be underwhelming as usual per many whiners. Beside Apple Watch pricing and battery life, I would care less about others unless Tim Cook gives us another "Once More Thing" Apple TV as a central entertainment device with full iOS, 4K capability and a la cater TV contents...

• Reply 28 of 97
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Although I too think any other product other than the ?WATCH is unlikely to be announced on Monday, I keep asking myself, "is it really going to detract from the Watch to release something else new at this event?"

The reason being (as was discussed on the latest ATP), there's really not that much more you *can* talk about with the Apple watch that would take up an entire hour...Most of what they are going to go over that's new, won't take that much time to discuss at any length, likewise with any new info.  Let's go over some things AI claimed and a few they didn't. 

1. Pricing, Full Specs and launch Date.  That was is obvious...maybe throw in a couple new features we haven't seen yet with a more full demo.

2. Apple Store Revamp.  Obvious too, how will the experience of purchasing the watch be different/new?

3. Well, they could show some full demo's with 3rd party App Dev's to show off some of the new features of working in WatchKit.

So, if it's just those three segments, that can't possibly take up a full hour or even 45-50min. like past events.  I'd argue there is room for more.

Another couple of rumors that AI didn't mention (which might make sense to introduce now) would be the other rumored accessories.  I'd argue that since the Watch is an accessory device (let's face it) there might be room for the other rumored accessories we've seen discussed; the rumored Apple Pen, updated trackpad, keyboards, and mouse with Touch ID built-in.  I think should this event focus solely on accessories, these other devices are fairly low-priority but would add a huge new experience to both the Mac and iOS platforms.  They don't require much explanation and could be introduced in the allotted timeframe of this kind of event.

I know, these are super-rumors, with such low priority for most but they could piggy back onto the idea that Apple is trying to give their customers an enhanced and rich UX.  The Touch ID trackpad, Keyboard, and mouse could piggy-back the idea of apple Pay and new security features to the Mac.  Likewise the rumored Apple Pen could highlight more pro-centric usability to the iPad. And of course the Apple Watch adds more personalize functionality to the iPhone.  So you have 3 new products that all speak the same message.  Adding more personal, useful and enhanced functionality to their already tight ecosystem.

the only other though about these devices not being introduced now could be that they would require API's or X-kits for 3rd party devs to work with.  So maybe WWDC might be a better time for those.  But, Apple did release WatchKit post-iOS launch so it's entirely plausible.

However, I do think the rumored 12" retina MBA is plausible.  It's a product that has been highly rumored lately, and since they were waiting on Broadwell (which is currently out now) this could be a nice time to introduce updated mac (as a throw-away mention) and give a proper introduction to the latest MBA.  That being said, I'd rather see a super-portable be tag-teamed with a super powerful, yet portable, iPad Pro.

Thoughts?  

• Reply 29 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by omakone View Post

I think the rumors that Apple is working hard to get a deal with HBO done could be a hint that a new Apple TV is ready

I think it's very likely the ?TV is already ready...probably has been for at least a year or so.  They're just trying to iron out deals with content providers.  It's entirely plausible to think that the UI and OS updates have been finished a long time ago.

• Reply 30 of 97

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

Really not bothered with the Watch but I'm gagging for a new Apple TV!

Me Too!  My 2nd Gen ?TV is getting tired.  Keeps crashing all the time.  Specifically in Hulu App.

• Reply 31 of 97
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Uh, there wasn't any Watch parts leaked before the reveal...

It may still happen. :) That slide with a picture of the watch body came out right before the event where Apple unveiled it. Maybe a part or watch will hit the street before Monday.

• Reply 32 of 97
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

Some people are just "glass half empty" folks...

• Reply 33 of 97
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Doubtful: Apple iCar.

Tim Cook: "Oh, and there's one more thing.  You're sick and tired of being stuck in traffic on your commute.  Am I right here people?  YEAHHH!!  YOU KNOW IT!!!  Well, we at Apple are sick and tired of the whole automotive experience as we currently know it.  The sleazy dealers, the high depreciation, the high cost of maintenance, the depletion and pollution of our natural resources, and the time wasted on the road.  That's time out of your lives you'll never get back.  So we've designed a complete solution for all of you.  No more car dealers, no more need to buy your own car, no more maintenance, near-zero pollution, and yes, no more need to drive yourselves around! ..."

• Reply 34 of 97
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Just a friendly to reminder to those outside the United States: Monday's Apple Event will take place at 17:00 GMT/UTC. The U.S. will already be on Daylight Saving Time, whereas any other countries (such as those in Europe) aren't yet on DST. So determine the time at your location based off 17:00 GMT.
  • Reply 35 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

Just a friendly to reminder to those outside the United States: Monday's Apple Event will take place at 17:00 GMT/UTC. The U.S. will already be on Daylight Saving Time, whereas any other countries (such as those in Europe) aren't yet on DST. So determine the time at your location based off 17:00 GMT.

Good note.

• Reply 36 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Doubtful: Apple iCar.

Tim Cook: "Oh, and there's one more thing.  You're sick and tired of being stuck in traffic on your commute.  Am I right here people?  YEAHHH!!  YOU KNOW IT!!!  Well, we at Apple are sick and tired of the whole automotive experience as we currently know it.  The sleazy dealers, the high depreciation, the high cost of maintenance, the depletion and pollution of our natural resources, and the time wasted on the road.  That's time out of your lives you'll never get back.  So we've designed a complete solution for all of you.  No more car dealers, no more need to buy your own car, no more maintenance, near-zero pollution, and yes, no more need to drive yourselves around! ..."

...that's right... we've just purchased Oculus Rift from Facebook, which will make travel of any kind completely unnecessary!  ????

• Reply 37 of 97
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

How about an update to the AEBS that includes long-range Bluetooth for whole-home communication with the Watch without even having to have an iPhone nearby? Or normal-range, consumer-oriented Bluetooth beacons for this purpose (and more)?

• Reply 38 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is there a remote possibility of Apple doing a "One more thing...", and that one more thing being >1 day of battery life?

One more thing...

April Fool! There is no Apple Watch; we were just kidding. 

• Reply 39 of 97
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    paxman wrote: »

Unless the thing is measuring your sleep... errr... patterns? Not sure how sleep is measured but I am sure it requires wearing the thing. Charge time is more important than battery life imo. If 30 mins will see you through the night its not too problematic. 30 secs or less for 24 hrs is the ultimate target.

I agree on time to charge. That's far more critical than battery life. As for sleep tracking, I don't even understand the point. What is it going to tell you? A friend is an acupuncturist and we were talking about the watch recently and wearables in general. She told me about a patient who came in freaking out because her wearable (Fitbit maybe?) told her that her sleep patterns were screwed up. She felt fine. She was getting good rest. But she was convinced something must be wrong because the sleep tracker told her. Ugh. I think these features are silly gimmicks really. I live in a very active mountain community with lots of professional outdoor athletes. No one uses fitness trackers. Go to San Francisco and all the techies are wearing them, obsessing over tracking their steps or calories or whatever. I don't even think they care about fitness really. It's just about geeking out over data.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to 9to5Mac Apple has improved the battery life to get 5 hours of heavy use. Also the power reserve mode can be used at any time, not just when the battery is low. 

That's good somebody did because apparently Jony Ive isn't concerned with how little battery life your Apple products gets:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/06/jony-ive-iphone-battery/

He may have brilliant industrial design sensibilities, but get a load of those bright red socks.