iMovie for OS X gets support for Photos beta in latest update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2015
Apple has released an update to the OS X edition of iMovie, making several minor but important changes, including integration with Yosemite's new Photos app, which is bundled with the current OS X 10.10.3 beta.

With iMovie 10.0.7 users can browse Moments, Collections, Favorites, and Albums in the new Photos app in order to add still images to a video project.

A preview of Photos was released on March 2 alongside the first public beta of OS X 10.10.3.

Other iMovie improvements focus primarily on user interface tweaks. Play/Pause, Prev/Next and Full Screen buttons are now always displayed below the Viewer for quicker access, as is a Record Voiceover button.

The update also adds support for Sony's XAVC-S format, and squashes a variety of stability and compatibility problems.

iMovie 10.0.7 comes in at $15 for new users, or a free upgrade for existing owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That whole UI and lack of pro tools is a real let down.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That whole UI and lack of pro tools is a real let down.

There's something called "Final Cut" if you need pro tools. 

Also, the UI is great when you get used to it. 

• Reply 3 of 4
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

I have no qualms with iMovie, it's a fine consumer-grade video editor. It has most of the popular and heavily-used features for the typical user.

If you're making a living editing video, well, pony up the $300 for Final Cut Pro X.

I used to run Final Cut Express before Apple abandoned that mid-range product, but back in those days, I think high-end Final Cut Studio was about a thousand bucks. 

• Reply 4 of 4
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    slurpy wrote: »
    There's something called "Final Cut" if you need pro tools. 

Also, the UI is great when you get used to it. 

I fully agree Final Cut Pro is more than worth it. This Appleworks approach to OS X tools is getting old.