Banks ING and OCBC launch new apps with support for Touch ID logins

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
Dutch bank ING and Singapore's OCBC Bank recently integrated Touch ID compatibility to their respective iOS apps, marking the first time Apple's fingerprint recognition system has been used to protect mobile banking apps in those countries.

Support for Apple's Touch ID was added to ING and OCBC's mobile apps this week, allowing customers to securely access account information on the latest iPhone and iPad hardware.

As noted by The Straits Times, which first reported OCBC's app update, users can view bank account, credit card and investment balances after performing a one-time activation process.

According to the NL Times, ING's new app is the first of two to integrate fingerprint recognition capabilities. The bank plans to launch a second app before summer that will let customers confirm payments using Touch ID confirmation.

Apps from a number of banks in other countries like the U.S. and UK already incorporate Touch ID fingerprint security, as Apple opened up the fingerprint sensor's API to developers with iOS 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I've been hoping US financial institutions would adopt Touch ID to streamline their login UI. To date, only one of mine has. Hopefully the delay is because they're ensuring that Touch ID meets their security guidelines, not reluctance to adopt it overall.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Singapore has kicked things off with TouchID... When will our big Malaysian banks like Maybank, CIMB, Public, Hong Leong et al follow suit?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    After reading this story I went to the app stores finance section and found a bank called simple - the app looks really nice, authorizes through Touch ID, allows you to contact them through the app like an instant message, deposit checks through the app, no fees, no overdraft fees, easy to transfer money to people and different accounts, they realy revamped the typical banking experience - I've already opened a checking account-which was also easy through their website. It was featured in Apple's finance section and looks good so far-you should Check it out and see what you think. The Bank is based in Oregon. You have to see the aesthetic to know what I mean.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm glad to see this but I still prefer to do a manual login for my apps that connect with my banks and 1Password. Perhaps one day I'll give in to the convenience of it, but right now i access these apps infrequently enough that I prefer an app password I can remember.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm glad to see this but I still prefer to do a manual login for my apps that connect with my banks and 1Password. Perhaps one day I'll give in to the convenience of it, but right now i access these apps infrequently enough that I prefer an app password I can remember.

Touch ID authorization is opt-in, you're not required to use it. Remember, you can disable Touch ID completely at the OS level on devices that support it.

You must deliberately authorize Touch ID for individual app usage like 1Password or AMEX.

• Reply 6 of 15
    mpantone wrote: »

Touch ID authorization is opt-in, you're not required to use it. Remember, you can disable Touch ID completely at the OS level on devices that support it.

You must deliberately authorize Touch ID for individual app usage like 1Password or AMEX.

I'm aware. What did I write that made Touch ID sound like the only option?
  • Reply 7 of 15

Your entire post.

You whined about a condition that can't be accessed by default. It's like complaining that you don't want to buy a decaf coffee at Starbucks.

• Reply 8 of 15
    Your entire post.

You whined about a condition that can't be accessed by default. It's like complaining that you don't want to buy a decaf coffee at Starbucks.

Please point out both this whining and where I mentioned anything about not being accessible by default (whatever that means).
  • Reply 9 of 15

I don't need to. Your post is very concise.

You have only been registered here at AI for a few months. You should reflect on the way you write on how others interpret your words.

Good luck.

• Reply 10 of 15
    SolipsismY: your post was absolutely fine and clear. You were stating a personal preference in how you choose to do authentication, not whining about the product.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    solip was not whining about anything.

here's whining. I would be suprised if Australian banks ever adopt Touch ID for their apps, most all still only offer limited length passwords, instantly hack able phone banking and woeful two factor dongles that get lost all too easily.

you'd almost think they intend for you to be defrauded. on the flip side use your card in another city and chances are they will lock the whole account down to be safe. and then just to befuddle us all with their view of tech NFC is so deeply embraced nationwide if we do get Apple Pay it will become the primary pay channel in months.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

You have only been registered here at AI for a few months. You should reflect on the way you write on how others interpret your words.

Good luck.

Um, Solipsism has been with the forum longer than I can remember, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who considers him to (usually) be one of the most well informed and thoughtful members we have.

For the record, I didn't detect any whining in his post. On the contrary, he said he was glad to see this even though he doesn't want to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't detect any whining here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Good luck.

This post comes off so pretentious that I cringed. You should take your own advice. 

• Reply 14 of 15
    Your entire post.

Let's look at the very concise words that I wrote:

"I'm glad to see this but I still prefer to do a manual login for my apps that connect with my banks and 1Password. Perhaps one day I'll give in to the convenience of it, but right now i access these apps infrequently enough that I prefer an app password I can remember."

• "I'm glad to see this" —  Not whining, but could be a setup for a "concern troll" comment since I followed it with 'but'.
    • "but I still prefer to do a manual login of my apps" — I stated I have a preference. A preference to eschew the convenience of Touch ID in certain apps for (at least perceived) security. I'm still not seeing any whining, but I am seeing a statement that clearly indicates that I am aware that Touch ID is optional in these apps, which makes me wonder what the hell you were writing in your first reply to my post.
    • "Perhaps one day I'll give in to the convenience of it" — I already do, for the device lock screen, but we're talking about specific apps that connect to banks, as well as my also mentioned 1Password app. If I used my iOS banking apps enough I would surely use Touch ID for those single logins before I use it for 1Password. Why not? Do I think Touch ID is unsafe? Of course not, but it's still very new and 1Password is where I store all my private data so I'm erring in the side of caution. How is that whining?

You have only been registered here at AI for a few months.

Now that's funny.
    You should reflect on the way you write on how others interpret your words.

Good luck.

I tried to do just that when I very concisely requested you point out what part(s) of my comments were both whining as well as what "can't be accessed by default" refers. You denied that simple request. I''m guessing you don't even know at this point and only realize after the fact that you misconstrued my very concise words and are now trying to save face.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    This post comes off so pretentious that I cringed. You should take your own advice.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the comments that think longevity means superiority on a forum. You can certianly get to know how a poster writes over time, and even come to expect how they will respond to a topic, but each and every comment should be evaluated on its own merit, whether it's their first post or they are approaching 50,000 (hint).