Newly installed internal hard drive disappeared overnight

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2015

I have a 2008 MacBook (5,1) and last night I installed an OWC "data doubler" drive into my computer, removing the DVD drive in the process (which is what the data doubler does, if you are not familiar with the product). So I have the stock HD and now this new SSD as well.

Everything went peachy last night, and I was copying my files over with no problem, and started to redownload the MacOS X install for a clean install on that drive, which I left overnight to finish. When I got up this morning and logged in, the download had completed (and was there on the old hard drive) but there was no sign of my new hard drive. I opened Disk Utility and the drive wasn't showing up there either.

I had to leave for work so I haven't gotten any farther, but has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have ideas on "refinding" my new drive before I contact OWC support?

If worse comes to worst, I can go back in and switch the drive out for the old one, but I'd rather not open it back up if I don't have to ;)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

For anyone who may have read this, I found that the optical drive connector had a touch less room than it had with the DVD drive in there, pinching it just enough to force one edge to pop up and disconnect.

I carefully readjusted things so the angle would be less and make the connector flat to the logic board again, and there have been no more problems.