What will be the 6S special feature?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
Speed for the 3GS, Siri for the 4S, Touch ID for the 5S, what is your bet for the 6S? We know it should have been Sapphire, but considering they transformed the factory into a data center I think they kind of give up on that material for the moment.

So what could it be?

Personally I don't believe there will be anything special, except the usual camera, speed bump. But I would love to be proven wrong in September of course!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    yazolight wrote: »
    Speed for the 3GS, Siri for the 4S, Touch ID for the 5S, what is your bet for the 6S? We know it should have been Sapphire, but considering they transformed the factory into a data center I think they kind of give up on that material for the moment.

So what could it be?

Personally I don't believe there will be anything special, except the usual camera, speed bump. But I would love to be proven wrong in September of course!

How about a Mini spectrum analyzer. That would bring us close to the capability of a Star Trek "Tri-Coder" or some other devices from the show.

A big jump in onboard flash is really needed too. Interestingly Samsungs 3D flash is a go and could be seen in an iPhone.

FM radio capability.

A telephoto lens for the camera.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Onboard flash, thats a given, but it isn't enough to make it the special feature. It's not a differentiator.

FM radio, I would like it, but if it wasn't there when most of us had no 3G data plan, I don't see the point of putting it now when most of us can just stream music and radio from the internet.

Now an optical zoom, that's an idea. (is it any different than a telephoto lens?) Since the camera already protrude, it would be very cool to have some kind of optical zoom system, and that would definitely be a differentating feature!

For the Mini spectrum analyzer, it will probably be there for the 7S ;)

• Reply 3 of 10

Or maybe they will just add force touch, 2go of RAM and call it a day.

• Reply 4 of 10
    Onboard flash, thats a given, but it isn't enough to make it the special feature. It's not a differentiator.
    It would be nice though.
    FM radio, I would like it, but if it wasn't there when most of us had no 3G data plan, I don't see the point of putting it now when most of us can just stream music and radio from the internet.
    I would imagine with this net neutrality nonsense that your data plans will end up very expensive. Besides streaming is not often the best way to receive local broadcasts. The fact that they haven't done it yet though kinda indicates zero interest on Apples part.
    Now an optical zoom, that's an idea. (is it any different than a telephoto lens?) Since the camera already protrude, it would be very cool to have some kind of optical zoom system, and that would definitely be a differentating feature!
    Zoom was what I was thinking of when I wrote that. Done right it could be a huge improvement for the camera and with recent rumors it looks like there is potential for a decent camera update.
    For the Mini spectrum analyzer, it will probably be there for the 7S ;)

With the way the world is going I wouldn't object to a Gieger counter in my iPhone. We haven't been this close to a nuclear war in years.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    A 4" screen and 24 hour battery life when using GPS on the move in weak reception areas.
  • Reply 6 of 10

Better screen resolution on the 4.7" model.  It been 326ppi since iPhone 5? which brings it just a shade less then 720p.  All other flagship phones are at least 1080p or double that QHD standard!

With the A9 which is going be 14nm; it will bring the power consumption down 30-40%.  That means Apple could move to the 1080p; close to that of the 6+!

With Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge; Apple needs to have more pixels so I see it being 12 instead of 8; where Galaxy will have the same 16 megapixel camera!

2 GB RAM would be good for future proofing!

The back of the iPhone 6S needs to have antenna bands hidden.  I think they can do it with a glass color overlay or maybe just change the color of the antenna to blend in with the back!

• Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Better screen resolution on the 4.7" model. 

....  That means Apple could move to the 1080p; close to that of the 6+!

what would be the point? ... if, at a normal viewing range, you can't differentiate such a (expensive and power hungry) screen, then why bother putting it in place just to quote spectacular specs?

I DO love dense screens... not seeing pixels is great... but on a 4.7" screen, 1080p is just overkill.  I'd rather not waste battery power on visibly indiscernible pixels.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Considering their philosophy for the camera, which is not going over 8 mega pixels because it's already enough, but rather improving other parts of the camera, we can expect that they would rather improve the battery life rather than marginally improving the screen pixels density.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Considering their philosophy for the camera, which is not going over 8 mega pixels because it's already enough, but rather improving other parts of the camera, we can expect that they would rather improve the battery life rather than marginally improving the screen pixels density.
    That's a philosophy that will change if Apple want to just as they changed the size of the phone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Considering their philosophy for the camera, which is not going over 8 mega pixels because it's already enough,
    It isn't already enough. 8 mega pixels is the best compromise for a cell phone of the size of an iPhone. More mega pixels are good if quality can be maintained. Maintaining that quality is a matter of advancing sensor technology which could happen at any time.

In other words there is no philosophy here, rather there are practical matters to be considered. I'm certain Aple would add more pixels if they could pull it off in such a way that quality didn't suffer.

but rather improving other parts of the camera, we can expect that they would rather improve the battery life rather than marginally improving the screen pixels density.

The best interim upgrade to the camera would be a zoom lens. Even a 2-3x zoom would be better than nothing. Frankly I would have rathered had a zoom lens before image stabilization. There is a very long ways to go before cell phone cameras completely replace point and shoot cameras.