The Banning of Benjamin Frost

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015

Please indicate if you think BF should be banned.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    gticusgticus Posts: 12member
    I have only BF and BR blocked. I wish everyone had BF blocked or no one would reply except we leave it to Sog to reply as usual but not include BF text, just have the text BF=BS, and we'd all get the context of what was said by Sog's reply. The only reason I don't want to come to the site is because of the BF trash I have to filter through. I would miss Sog's replies if BF was banned but I'm willing to live with it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Who voted no?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    Probably the same users(trolls) who like to agree with his posts.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member

I think that anyone who is blocked by more than, say, 10 people should automatically get banned.  I mean, what are the odds that 10 people are going to block one person without enough cause to kick them off the board?

I've had Mr. Frost blocked for quite a while now... and I suspect I'm not the only one...

• Reply 5 of 13
    friedmud wrote: »

I've had Mr. Frost blocked for quite a while now... and I suspect I'm not the only one...

Me too. Unlike most people who think he's a troll, I believe he's just clueless and ignorant...he really believes the crap he writes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm not going to weigh on whether I believe he should be permanently banned or not, but I will say I had not choice but to block him because instead of ignoring the topics in which he has no interest he instead focuses on those topics to repeatedly parrot his same talking point about how Apple is failing, how Steve Jobs wouldn't approve of this or that, how Tim Cook should be fired, and all his other nonsense against civil liberties. Of course, blocking does no good if one responds to someone I have blocked.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

I think that anyone who is blocked by more than, say, 10 people should automatically get banned.  I mean, what are the odds that 10 people are going to block one person without enough cause to kick them off the board?

This system could easily be abused. If a troll wanted to ban someone, nothing prevents him from creating 10 different accounts and blocking the poster.

We then will need to add complexity - something to the effect of "blocked by 10 people with at least 100 posts, or at least a poster since 1 year" or some such.

It may end up just being easier for moderators to handle this with their discretion - the active ones anyway.

• Reply 8 of 13
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm not going to weigh on whether I believe he should be permanently banned or not, but I will say I had not choice but to block him because instead of ignoring the topics in which he has no interest he instead focuses on those topics to repeatedly parrot his same talking point about how Apple is failing, how Steve Jobs wouldn't approve of this or that, how Tim Cook should be fired, and all his other nonsense against civil liberties. Of course, blocking does no good if one responds to someone I have blocked.

I would love it if AI would not show the quote in the responses that people post to someone on my block list.

• Reply 9 of 13

Free speech; I may disagree with everything you say but I will defend to the end your right to say it.

• Reply 10 of 13
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I have to admit, I don't see what all the hate for Benjamin Frost is about.

• Reply 11 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Blocking that P.O.S. is not much good, especially when people quote his trash.  He reminds me of Techstud from years back that (like BJF) just degenerated into being an absolute pr!ck.

His nonsense is getting worse.  I think he's getting the hint so he's just going to carpet-bomb everything before getting banned.

• Reply 12 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Free speech; I may disagree with everything you say but I will defend to the end your right to say it.

Free speech is one thing but lines must be drawn in certain environments. You can't just call your teacher a whore and expect not to be kicked from class by claiming free speech.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't know whether he should be banned but I've seen similar posters banned before. I just understand how someone can be such a pessimist and live on the same forum being that was. At some point other's opinions have to temper how annoying you allow yourself to be.