Apple's ultra-thin 12-inch MacBook benchmarks on par with 2011 MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    **** and i was about to buy one. And performance is the main thing i need now. Going for the Pro for sure now. Too bad, new macbook is designely too cute!
  • Reply 22 of 106
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

To bad. I was considering a laptop for just web, email and video streaming but at speeds along the lines of a MacBook Air 2011 means it is a non starter.

Seriously? Do you think it won't be able to do those things? Sure, if you want a heavier laptop, they are available with better performance. But they won't surf the web, send email or stream video any better.

• Reply 23 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

He's back...

I was looking at Ben's posting history. He generally posts for about 18 hours straight everyday

Get your blocker tool here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185450/apples-tim-cook-plans-to-give-away-all-of-his-money/40#post_2699793

• Reply 24 of 106
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Equivalent performance according to AI.

Four years older, but you save yourself $1,100 in the process, and because it's SSD, you don't have to worry about the hard drive failing.

Where did AI say the SSD, graphics, RAM, WiFi, USB, battery, etc. are "equivalent performance" to 2011? AI was assuming people were bright enough to understand that CPU is only one facet of "performance", but apparently that's too much of a leap. Not to mention that this machine has a massively better screen.

I'll add you to my block list :) 

• Reply 25 of 106

Can not believe the intellectual bankruptcy on display here in some of these comments. This used to be such a nice place.

• Reply 26 of 106
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

edit: The trolls win. There is just too much jackassary around here these days. I think I've had it with this forum for awhile.

Well I'm not sure why people feel this is an Apple issue. The Core M is really an awful chipset. Working for IBM I'm given a new set of Lenovo notebooks every cycle. Whiles these benchmarks aren't great someone should try using a Yoga 3 Pro. Not only are the synthetic benchmarks worse but the battery life didn't improve at all because Lenovo also decided to go with an ultra thin design. 

Yoga Pro 3 performance is fine in spite of the benchmarks my only complaint is the battery life. Real life use I can't get much more then 4 hours if that. The new Macbook Air keyboard design, force touch, retina and battery life really make this a winner in spite of the synthetic benchmarks. 

• Reply 27 of 106
    solipsismy wrote: »
    edit: The trolls win. There is just too much jackassary around here these days. I think I've had it with this forum for awhile.

That would make me sad.

You often write great posts, and would be a loss to the forum.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:

That would make me sad.

You often write great posts, and would be a loss to the forum.

YOU have proven that you COULD be a benefit to the forum, but choose not to. Maybe if you cleaned up your act and behaved like a rational human being, we wouldn't have so many issues.

• Reply 29 of 106
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Sadly, it's not just here, I've seen a few sites I frequent degenerate in this way. Instead of viewing these forums as places of discussion, some sadly treat them as blank walls upon which to paint their ignorant and pointless marks for the world to view. Where they see their contributions as works of art worthy of fame and fortune, some of us see them as they truly are: faecal scrawls.

I think it's quite an interesting product, if I were in the market today for a new one it'd be at the top of my list. My main machine is an MBA 11" (2012) hooked up to an external monitor at home and the device I normally throw in my bag is an iPad Air (with keyboard case), either or both of which could be replaced by this one machine quite easily. This device will satisfy many people's requirements in routine, normal, daily operations of a computer, plus it's so incredibly portable (and quite beautiful) this I expect to sell well, and future versions to sell even better. For anyone to claim this fits no one's needs (or any of the other "insightful" comments), well, we all smell the stench of their opinions.

• Reply 30 of 106
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

A machine that is worse in nearly every considerable way. If price is your main or only concern buy a Windows PC.

Equivalent performance according to AI.

Four years older, but you save yourself $1,100 in the process, and because it's SSD, you don't have to worry about the hard drive failing.

Equivalent processor performance.  Geekbench only measures CPU horsepower.

Personally, I'll wait for the comprehensive Macworld and/or Ars reviews...

• Reply 31 of 106
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

To bad. I was considering a laptop for just web, email and video streaming but at speeds along the lines of a MacBook Air 2011 means it is a non starter. It gives off the perception you are getting less power for more money. Especially when the MacBook Pro offers better hardware at the same price and a larger screen to boot. Thinner and more colors is not worth more. It needs to be $300-$400 less for the base model. Too many better deals out there for the price.

I guess I disagree, although I am a MacBook Pro user myself. Thinner and more colors IS worth more!

Should it surprise anyone that computing is becoming fashion? And is becoming utilitarian?

Back in cave man days you killed a bear and wore its pelt to keep warm. We were in 'cave man days' in terms of computing history not long ago. Obviously, we now wear clothes that are primarily designed to be fashionable. The protective requirement can be met by the most basic materials and techniques at this point. 90% of the effort in the clothes we wear (totally made up statistic) goes into fashion or novel utilitarian design & manufacturing.

Speaking of utilitarian design: Why are there sleeping bags designed for 40°F weather? Such limited usefulness. It's really not much harder or more expensive to pack in some more Thinsulate when the bag is being manufactured. You could have a 15°F bag or a 0°F bag for negligible expense. Well, maybe you are a hiker, and you are going to pack that sleeping bag in your sack. You could bring more food (or beer! or maybe a new MacBook ;) if you don't bring more sleeping bag than you need.

I admire the top performing designs and a good price per Gigathingy just like the next guy, but I also appreciate the novel designs that emphasize different design objectives. And without Apple designing machines like this, we would lose a lot of the most successful design for these novel objectives.

I'm glad Apple designs machines like the new MacBook, even though it isn't the machine for me.

• Reply 32 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Sadly, it's not just here, I've seen a few sites I frequent degenerate in this way. Instead of viewing these forums as places of discussion, some sadly treat them as blank walls upon which to paint their ignorant and pointless marks for the world to view. Where they see their contributions as works of art worthy of fame and fortune, some of us see them as they truly are: faecal scrawls.

As for this MacBook I think it's quite an interesting product, if I were in the market today for a new one it'd be at the top of my list. My main machine is an MBA 11" (2012) hooked up to an external monitor at home and the device I normally throw in my bag is an iPad Air (with keyboard case), either or both of which could be replaced by this one machine quite easily. This device will satisfy many people's requirements in routine, normal, daily operations of a computer, plus it's so incredibly portable (and quite beautiful) this I expect to sell well, and future versions to sell even better. For anyone to claim this fits no one's needs (or any of the other "insightful" comments), well, we all smell the stench of their opinions.

Pretty much this. My daily laptop is a 2008 MacBook (my 2008 Air was getting just a bit too creaky) with a SSD, which fits my needs. If I had the cash for a replacement, I'd be strongly looking at that MacBook. Going from 4.6 to 2 pounds in my bag would be great, and I love the colors.

2015 MacBook + iPad Air = weight of 2008 Air. That's amazing.

• Reply 33 of 106
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, let's compare it to the ultra-souped up Air configuration, not the base model, cause that makes sense!

Hell, if a laptop running Core-M is getting performance similar to an i7 chip, that's pretty damn impressive. It's not like Haswell and Broadwell brought massive performance gains.

There wasn't an enormous spread between the top and bottom processors in that tdp range. I do think the comparison misses the mark though. What matters is how it runs typical basic (or any other) applications today.

• Reply 34 of 106
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    To bad. I was considering a laptop for just web, email and video streaming but at speeds along the lines of a MacBook Air 2011 means it is a non starter. It gives off the perception you are getting less power for more money. Especially when the MacBook Pro offers better hardware at the same price and a larger screen to boot. Thinner and more colors is not worth more. It needs to be $300-$400 less for the base model. Too many better deals out there for the price.

Thank you for voting with your wallet. I will vote the other way and buy one and be quite satisfied I'm sure.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    solipsismy wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. I have simply stopped posting in a lot of the threads.

The jackassery extends to the AWOL mods. I hope they realize that they're sacrificing the long term for the short term. It's just too bad, since AI is still one of the best things out there for a true Apple fan. It's fast going downhill, though....
  • Reply 36 of 106
    elijahg wrote: »
    Great if you really really need the thinness (maybe you have to slip the MacBook under people's doors daily in your job?), but "on a par" with a 4 year old machine is not really much to be proud of. Especially when the current MacBook Air is almost as thin, has better battery and a much beefier CPU.

Why should anyone spend $25K for a slow Toyota Prius when you can get a 323 hp Chevy Camaro for the same price?
  • Reply 37 of 106
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Same thing I have been thinking since I saw the launch. I'll take the little bit of extra weight. Let me keep the SD, USB ports, and mag connect. I have one peripheral, and thats the ethernet dongle (which I personally, rarely use). I don't want to carry anything else. I hope their future laptops don't follow this single port model.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    proline wrote: »

Wow, depressing to see people with so little reading comprehension are out there. Where did AI say the SSD, graphics, RAM, WiFi, USB, battery, etc. are "equivalent performance" to 2011? AI was assuming people were bright enough to understand that CPU is only one facet of "performance", but apparently that's too much of a leap. Not to mention that this machine has a massively better screen.

I'll add you to my block list :)

There should be a policy where if enough people add you to their block list you are automatically perma-banned.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    A $1299 laptop in 2015 that has a processor that compares to a 2011 model is disappointing. Since the Core M is made for tablets and ultraportable laptops it is probably comparable to the A8x in the iPad Air 2, which is probably a better buy if you are just doing web browsing, email, Netflix etc. Just get yourself a keyboard cover and save a few hundred.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    Otherwise, the forums turn into trolling grounds for contrarians and the noisy and intransigent.