New MacBook to Thunderbolt Display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2015

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I assume this is a joke but it should just need a USB C to displayport adaptor. I don't know why Apple didn't make one but Google made one.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I assume this is a joke but it should just need a USB C to displayport adaptor. I don't know why Apple didn't make one but Google made one.

But Thunderbolt isn’t DisplayPort. If it worked like that, you could plug a Thunderbolt Display into an older Mac Pro and have it work, just without Ethernet, FireWire, and Thunderbolt daisy-chaining capabilities.

Do we know if the MacBook even supports Thunderbolt hardware?

• Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

But Thunderbolt isn’t DisplayPort. If it worked like that, you could plug a Thunderbolt Display into an older Mac Pro and have it work, just without Ethernet, FireWire, and Thunderbolt daisy-chaining capabilities.

Do we know if the MacBook even supports Thunderbolt hardware?

I forgot they didn't support displayport input. Displayport displays work over Thunderbolt but Thunderbolt displays don't work over displayport. They should though.

Their Cinema display should work with the displayport adaptor. Thunderbolt peripherals won't work at all over USB C.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I forgot they didn't support displayport input. Displayport displays work over Thunderbolt but Thunderbolt displays don't work over displayport. They should though.

Their Cinema display should work with the displayport adaptor. Thunderbolt peripherals won't work at all over USB C.

I suspect the thunderbolt display doesn't move enough units to be a high priority. Apple never updated it to match the imac design, which I originally thought they would do 6-7 months after the redesigned imac rollouts. I don't see the cinema display on their site now, and it didn't come up in a store search for "cinema display". It may still show up in refurbished form.

• Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Apple never updated it to match the imac design, which I originally thought they would do 6-7 months after the redesigned imac rollouts.

“Never” meaning “haven’t yet”. There’s no reason to update until Thunderbolt 3 allows DisplayPort 1.3 (it’s 1.3, right?) support, which will allow them to make a standalone 5K Thunderbolt Display.

Updating now would just be the same panel in a thinner shell. As hot as the Cinema Display (and, I assume, Thunderbolt Display) get, that seems silly.

I hope the 5K Thunderbolt Display (and iMac) don’t suffer from the screen burning (not burn in, burning) that the previous two models have… If you drop a grand on a H-IPS display, you expect it not to act like a $79 TN…

• Reply 6 of 6
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Never” meaning “haven’t yet”. There’s no reason to update until Thunderbolt 3 allows DisplayPort 1.3 (it’s 1.3, right?) support, which will allow them to make a standalone 5K Thunderbolt Display.

Updating now would just be the same panel in a thinner shell. As hot as the Cinema Display (and, I assume, Thunderbolt Display) get, that seems silly.

I hope the 5K Thunderbolt Display (and iMac) don’t suffer from the screen burning (not burn in, burning) that the previous two models have… If you drop a grand on a H-IPS display, you expect it not to act like a $79 TN…

There was a significant imac redesign around 2012, which included an updated screen treatment. It was more than just a thinner panel. TN doesn't have a lot of image persistence problems. It was actually a more common problem with earlier IPS panels. Do note that the imac uses the same panel, so thermal issues are similar.