Apple Pay picks up 39 new banks, credit unions in run-up to Apple Watch

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 39 more banks and credit unions to the roster of institutions offering support for Apple Pay, bringing the total to more than 180 since the service's launch in October 2014.

The number of additions is identical to the amount from Apple's previous update in mid-March. As before the emphasis is on credit unions, though a number of conventional banks are also represented.

The new institutions include:
  • 1st Advantage Federal Credit Union
  • American Savings Bank
  • Bank of Utah
  • Ballco Federal Credit Union
  • BMO Harris N.A.
  • Cambridge Savings Bank
  • Campus USA Credit Union
  • Centennial Bank
  • Citadel Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens Bank & Trust
  • Citizens Equity First Credit Union
  • Coastline Federal Credit Union
  • Community Choice Credit Union
  • Deseret First Federal Credit Union
  • ELS Federal Credit Union
  • Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union
  • First Fidelity Bank
  • First Hawaiian Bank
  • Hilltop National Bank
  • Illinois State Police Federal Credit Union
  • JSC Federal Credit Union
  • Lafayette Federal Union
  • Logix Federal Credit Union
  • MidFirst Bank
  • Mission Federal Credit Union
  • Missoula Federal Credit Union
  • North Country Federal Credit Union
  • Northrup Grumman Federal Credit Union
  • Old National Bank
  • PointBank
  • Point Loma Credit Union
  • Publix Employees Federal Credit Union
  • Robins Federal Credit Union
  • San Diego County Credit Union
  • Stockman Bank of Montana
  • Technicolor Federal Credit Union
  • Truity Federal Credit Union
  • USAlliance Federal Credit Union
  • Utah Community Federal Credit Union
Growing support for Apple Pay may be important in the lead-up to the launch of the Apple Watch on April 24, since mobile payments are one of the major marketing points of the device. The Watch will moreover bring Apple Pay to the iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c, which are otherwise incompatible.

Apple is still working on expanding the number of stores that accept Apple Pay, since most are national and regional chains, rather than independent businesses. The technology has also yet to reach beyond the United States, though the company is believed to be looking to remedy the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    My CU has to be close, as I can use the card, I get a TOS screen, it just fails on final verification.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The problem isn't on the banking side, its on the retailer side.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    The problem is on the retailer side all right. Not enough of them. Even those who are officially on board are glacially slow to employ. Apple needs to offer incentives, especially to smaller businesses: underwrite or give them the hardware free.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member

I really need Discover to get on board.

• Reply 5 of 33
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

I really need Discover to get on board.

I agree! Once they're on board i will use ApplePay as much as i can. I have two bank cards that are in my Passbook for when i can't use Discover, but i rarely can't use my Discover card... I want my 1% cash back on everything and the 5% cash back for the special deals damn it!

• Reply 6 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The incentive is profits.

Whole Foods has been the ideal ApplePay provider.  And guess what?  Their sales has exploded ever since they accepted ApplePay
    I never saw Whole Foods claim that sales "exploded" once they began accepting ApplePay. Did you perhaps mistake their comment that ApplePay was used for roughly x% of the transactions as sales being up x%, or is there an article I missed? I'd be quite surprised if using your phone rather than a physical CC to pay would encourage folks to spend a whole lot more. In Whole Foods case they're giving a lot of credit to their loyalty program. FWIW they likely already had a healthy number of Apple users, just as Publix and some other higher-end grocers do.
    http://www.pymnts.com/news/2015/whole-foods-banks-on-loyalty-apple-pay/
  • Reply 7 of 33

Finally! Actually I'm surprised my bank got it this soon. But whatever it's on the list and I just added my debit card to my iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 33
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    The incentive is profits.

Whole Foods has been the ideal ApplePay provider.  And guess what?  Their sales has exploded ever since they accepted ApplePay. 

If retailers want people who have $$$ they better start catering to those people by offering ApplePay.  That shows that they value the customers privacy and security.  

What? How? Where did you get this information? Whole Foods profits didn’t "explode" because of Apple Pay. An increase of use yes but people would still go there and buy what they need and use a CC if NFC payments didn’t exist.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The problem is on the retailer side all right. Not enough of them. Even those who are officially on board are glacially slow to employ. Apple needs to offer incentives, especially to smaller businesses: underwrite or give them the hardware free.
    Merchants are being forced into upgrading their terminals by the credit card companies or otherwise bear the brunt of fraud charge. By October every merchant will have an ?Pay compatible terminal or be on the hook for fraud charges. At that point there's no reason not to take ?Pay which is the most secure form of payment and doesn't cost them any more to accept. all ?Pay needs is time. Frankly, the lack of banks that support it is going to be the main issue slowing adoption. Once all the banks support it, and al the merchant terminals support it, Apple just needs to launch an education campaign for merchants and consumers, which I'm sure they already are, to get everyone on board. With the watch potentially expanding the pool of ?Pay users, that will help as well. The only merchants who won't take ?Pay are the ones signed up for competing payment plans, but with no systems materializing, that barrier is likely going away soon too. The biggest obstacle there for Apple is addressing merchants desire to track customer data, and offer coupons. I'm sure Apple is working on this as well.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    What? How? Where did you get this information? Whole Foods profits didn’t "explode" because of Apple Pay. An increase of use yes but people would still go there and buy what they need and use a CC if NFC payments didn’t exist.
    That's hysterical. All 35% of the iPhone 6 users that use ?Pay comprise 100% of the WF customer base. That's a good trick!
  • Reply 11 of 33
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

I agree! Once they're on board i will use ApplePay as much as i can. I have two bank cards that are in my Passbook for when i can't use Discover, but i rarely can't use my Discover card... I want my 1% cash back on everything and the 5% cash back for the special deals damn it!

Discover has mostly lost me as a customer over this.  I used to charge *everything* to that card, then just pay it at the end of the month for the cash back.  After a couple of months of the repetitious "we're talking to Apple" runaround, I started card shopping and found Citi's Double Cash card, which supports ApplePay and has 2% cash back on everything instead of Discover's 1%.  Now I use Citi's card for almost everything, and only use the Discover for the 5% stuff.

Adding insult to injury (though it doesn't affect me because I don't use my debit card) Discover's hangup also affects my regional bank.  My understanding is that they use Discover's network for their transactions, and THEY can't support ApplePay because Discover doesn't.  :grumble: 

• Reply 12 of 33
    WholeFoods stock is up almost 40% since ApplePay came out.   You can say this is a correlation not causation.  WholeFoods revenue and profits have gone up alot since ApplePay came out.

When a company shows they care about customers privacy/security by implementing ApplePay it can only help.  

If you want customers who have $$$ you better cater to their requests for ApplePay or they will leave to a competing store.  

Before ApplePay I've been to WholeFoods about 5 times in the last 5 years. Since ApplePay came out I've gone to WholeFoods about 30 times.  Why?  Because I want to support a company who gives a shit about my privacy and security. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.I demand high quality food AND service.

That's just silly. They increased profits because they attracted more customers by lowering its prices and increasing its advertising while opening new stores and remodeling existing ones.

All I'm asking for is one piece of evidence that directly says increase of profits is because of NFC payments.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    You attract more rich customers because you offer a better service experience.

Again I'm not saying ApplePay is the only reason WholeFoods revenues have gone up.  But offering a service that improves customer privacy/security is a big PLUS for people with $$$

Its impossible to quantify what percent it helped.  1%?  2%?  Even if it just helped revenue go up by 0.5% that's enough reason to implement ApplePay.

Ok, I'll agree with you about better service. I go to Whole Foods practically every day because one is right across the street from my work and I love having lunch there. I use NFC payments there every time depending on the phone of the day I'm carrying. I have yet to see one other person use NFC payments. I even ask the cashier time to time if anyone is using it and they always say "maybe one or two times I've seen people use it".

Most people still don't know what NFC payments are or if they do they don't use it.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am guessing many retailers will incorporate Apple Pay with the upgrades required to support Chip & Pin (EMV) by October 15 deadline.  I would expect many retailers to join up over the summer. 

• Reply 15 of 33
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's both. None of the four cards I carry in my wallet are supported yet.

• Reply 16 of 33
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

For the curious, this is the complete list...

Apple Pay participating issuers

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6288

• Reply 17 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That will continue to be a problem for a while yet as company's like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Walgreen's and others are on the CurrectC bandwagon and so won't support Apple Pay.   CurrectC is going to have to FAIL first, or go no where enough where company's can start jumping ship or start supporting both before CurrentC finally just fails.

Apple really needs to get going in other countries.  NFC in other countries is far more popular.  I hear Canada for example, NFC is in 90% of the businesses.   That;s close by and should already be working.   Need to pick up momentum.

• Reply 18 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Merchants are being forced into upgrading their terminals by the credit card companies or otherwise bear the brunt of fraud charge. By October every merchant will have an ?Pay compatible terminal or be on the hook for fraud charges. At that point there's no reason not to take ?Pay which is the most secure form of payment and doesn't cost them any more to accept. all ?Pay needs is time. Frankly, the lack of banks that support it is going to be the main issue slowing adoption. Once all the banks support it, and al the merchant terminals support it, Apple just needs to launch an education campaign for merchants and consumers, which I'm sure they already are, to get everyone on board. With the watch potentially expanding the pool of ?Pay users, that will help as well. The only merchants who won't take ?Pay are the ones signed up for competing payment plans, but with no systems materializing, that barrier is likely going away soon too. The biggest obstacle there for Apple is addressing merchants desire to track customer data, and offer coupons. I'm sure Apple is working on this as well.

Come October, we'll have the second generation of iPhone to support Apple Pay.  That should jump things into 2nd gear.   Percentage wise, there's not that many iphones out there that can support Apple Pay yet, and it's only in the U.S. right now that limits it much more. The Apple Watch will help a TINY bit.  But i think if you can afford to fork out money for a Apple watch, you already have a iPhone 6 or 6+.  

• Reply 19 of 33
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Discover has mostly lost me as a customer over this.  I used to charge *everything* to that card, then just pay it at the end of the month for the cash back.  After a couple of months of the repetitious "we're talking to Apple" runaround, I started card shopping and found Citi's Double Cash card, which supports ApplePay and has 2% cash back on everything instead of Discover's 1%.  Now I use Citi's card for almost everything, and only use the Discover for the 5% stuff.

Adding insult to injury (though it doesn't affect me because I don't use my debit card) Discover's hangup also affects my regional bank.  My understanding is that they use Discover's network for their transactions, and THEY can't support ApplePay because Discover doesn't.  :grumble: 

Discover is one of the big fish we have to know Apple wants on board. We can only guess at why some banks are signing onto Apple Pay and others are not, but it's fair to assume that money has a lot to do with it. Harder to explain is why many of the large banks only partially support Apple Pay. What's up with that? Obviously Apple has made a big push for credit unions, but conspicuously absent from the list are hundreds if not thousands of community banks. If Apple has any sort of plan to bring them into Apple Pay, then it isn't working.

• Reply 20 of 33
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I like to see Ally Bank added. Further, retailer support is not consistent. For example, I can use it at Whole Foods, Meijer, Hillers [a super market in Michigan], McDonalds, and Walgreens generally with little trouble.

However, with some other retailers the experience is flaky. For instance, Lucky Market is listed as a Apple Pay partner, but it never works there. A card declined error pops up. The retailer just pulled its Apple Pay accepted here sign because of the problems. I suspect the problem is on the retailer end, but the end user just knows the service doesn't work, and meanwhile it looks like the retailer may be pulling the support all together.