First Apple Watch unboxing video emerges from Hong Kong

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
As Apple distributes preview units of its new Watch to media outlets, unboxing videos are likewise appearing online, revealing what buyers can expect to see when they open up the product's packaging.

The first video debuted earlier today from Hong Kong's Gadget Guy, showing a rounded rectangular box nestled inside a square outer one. The rounded box contains the Watch held on its side, with a buyer's chosen band type already attached.

The outer box contains the inductive charger, a wall adapter, a polishing cloth, and an instruction guide. The guide is relatively brief, only going over the most essential functions such as button layout and included apps.

Extra Sport bands are packaged in a slim cardboard tube, which is not unlike an elongated version of the boxes Apple uses for its Thunderbolt adapters. The bands are clipped to a white insert, which also contains instructions showing users how to change the band.

Apple design chief Jony Ive has previously said that he is not a fan of the large boxes many watches come in, and worked to reduce the Apple Watch's packaging.

"So there's huge virtue, I think, in keeping the packaging small: at least, it is the right choice environmentally, it's easier to move things around and you don't end up with your wardrobes full of large watch boxes that you don't use."

For the general public, preorders of the Apple Watch are slated to start at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time on Friday. It should ship to stores and customers on April 24.

Early reviews have praised aspects like the design and the Taptic Engine, but are complaining about poor performance, particularly with third-party apps. Apple said it is working to fix those flaws with software updates, the first of which should hopefully appear by the 24th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Drool Drool. Can't wait!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Save for the resolution I was watching at, that is a top notch little YouTube show. Pacing, staging, photography. Really nice.

Everything was top notch from Apple as far as I could tell. That charging magnet looks a little bigger when not in promotional videos, but it seems well thought out.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    They're Apple Daily.
    You know, those who claim iPhone 6 come with sapphire, and actual come up with a sapphire glass to test.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Even had his glass of Apple cool ai... err... water.:)

• Reply 5 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    The box is bigger than the one for Apple TV...;). Will we see unbox video for Edition too?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Gorgeous packaging.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    There's another video here:

[VIDEO]

It looks like gold when they take it out the box because of the table.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Have they stopped giving Apple stickers in new products now?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There's another video here:

It looks like gold when they take it out the box because of the table.

Doesn't slip out of the box too easily. That's kind of a clumsy flaw in the presentation. unless you're supposed to dump it out and have it land right-side up to then remove the top shell. Not very elegant, and if you have to flip it over to get the proper presentation, even worse.

Ive may be against those big traditional watch boxes, but they have presentation down. 

The gold is fleeting, not like the Pharrell video.

• Reply 10 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Doesn't slip out of the box too easily. That's kind of a clumsy flaw in the presentation. unless you're supposed to dump it out and have it land right-side up to then remove the top shell. Not very elegant, and if you have to flip it over to get the proper presentation, even worse.

A simple cellophane slip under and then over the box would solve the problem and not have to flip anything. Just lift two ends to lift the case out of the box. But I agree, not very user friendly considering Apple's history of attention to detail and the unboxing experience. 

• Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Ive may be against those big traditional watch boxes, but they have presentation down. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

A simple cellophane slip under and then over the box would solve the problem and not have to flip anything. Just lift two ends to lift the case out of the box. But I agree, not very user friendly considering Apple's history of attention to detail and the unboxing experience. 

You may have forgot, but your iPhone, iPad and Mac comes in almost identical packaging.

That white box would have originally come wrapped in plastic, with a tab sticking up to pull the box out.

With the Mac and iPad for instance, the size of the box is exactly enough to fit the product in, and you need to use the plastic tab to pull it out.

It's just because they don't expect you to put your product back in the box often.

The box shown in the video has been opened once before.

• Reply 12 of 20

What I can see from the presentation is a beautiful interface on screen. However, once you have more apps, it's going to be hard to go back to the opened apps. You must remember the icon locations. I hope in the next software update, Apple will allow user to swipe along the edge to pull up opened apps.

• Reply 13 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

You may have forgot, but your iPhone, iPad and Mac comes in almost identical packaging.

That white box would have originally come wrapped in plastic, with a tab sticking up to pull the box out.

No, I haven't forgotten, but in the case of the iPad and iPhone that's a much more elegant solution, everything lifts out of the box. The watch you have to dump out, and run the risk of it falling apart in the process. While I keep every piece of original packaging of every Apple device I buy, most people would probably throw away the cardboard box itself, and just keep the plastic case. But traditional watches are usually boxes and cases integrated together, with hinges. 

But you point is taken that this might not be the actual first time unboxing process since it was previously opened. Maybe there were tabs to pull it out.

• Reply 14 of 20
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

No, I haven't forgotten, but in the case of the iPad and iPhone that's a much more elegant solution, everything lifts out of the box. The watch you have to dump out, and run the risk of it falling apart in the process. While I keep every piece of original packaging of every Apple device I buy, most people would probably throw away the cardboard box itself, and just keep the plastic case. But traditional watches are usually boxes and cases integrated together, with hinges. 

But you point is taken that this might not be the actual first time unboxing process since it was previously opened. Maybe there were tabs to pull it out.

The iPad is the same as the Watch in this video.

I just picked a random photo off the web to show you.

Without that plastic nib sticking up, you either have to pry the box back, or flip it upside down and have your hand over the iPad to catch it.

http://blog.macsales.com/wp-content/gallery/ipad_2_unboxing/dsc_0423.jpg

Like I said, I guess Apple doesn't expect you to have a need to return the device to it's original box.

Your correct with the iPhone though, it is a little raised above the packaging, so you can likely pull it out without any need to turn the box.

It seems it's just iPad and Mac boxes that are similar.

• Reply 15 of 20
    Love it! I can watch this all day long. And I will. Now let's get the watch and download some apps and Apple Watch games!
  • Reply 16 of 20

Love it! I can watch this all day long. And I will. Now let's get the watch and download some apps and Apple Watch games!

• Reply 17 of 20
    I wonder if the Apple Watch Edition comes packaged differently.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wonder if the Apple Watch Edition comes packaged differently.

I think so because it comes with charge stand, not cable, right?

• Reply 19 of 20
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member

If you need any proof at how out of touch with reality Ive and Apple are this quote is quite telling "you don't end up with your wardrobes full of large watch boxes that you don't use." -Ive

• Reply 20 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

They package things that way deliberately, so there is a sense of anticipation and reward.