Aperture, iPhoto disappear from Mac App Store following Photos debut

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2015
Aperture and iPhoto were removed from the Mac App Store and are no longer available for download, checks of the storefront showed on Friday, signaling an end to two long-running product lines.




Until today, Aperture and iPhoto were still available for download despite Apple's release of OS X 10.10.3 on Wednesday. That update included Photos, an app Apple designed to replace its two predecessors.

Unlike Apple's erstwhile image editing programs, the new software integrates more closely with the Photos app for iOS. Through iCloud Photo Library support, users can upload their personal collections and access them from any Mac or iOS device. Edits applied to images on one platform are immediately reflected everywhere else.

The app is not a complete replacement for Aperture, since that program offered a greater set of parameters and tools, including many designed for a professional photography workflow.

Apple previously stated that Aperture and iPhoto will remain functional if they were already installed. With their disappearance from the Mac App Store, however, users are unlikely to get future updates, and it may not be as easy to install either title on a new Mac.

iPhoto was first released in 2002 as a part of Apple's iLife suite, while Aperture dates back to 2005. Neither app has seen a major update since 2010, although patches were issued as recently as October.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member

    So should I delete iPhoto from my Mac now?!

  • Reply 2 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,718member

    RIP Aperture.

  • Reply 3 of 107
    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    jmc99jmc99 Posts: 6member

    Very sad to see iPhoto fade away. Homesharing photos from you Mac to AppleTV no longer works if you download the new Photos app. The option to view photos from your computer on Apple TV goes away. iCloud Photos is the only option to view photos but it is slow and worst yet, I can no longer play a slideshow from an album from my mac on Apple TV. The whole reason I got Apple TV. Very disappointed.

  • Reply 5 of 107
    In the meantime, Photos doesn't do it for me: its libraries don't show in iTunes when I try to sync my iPad Air.

    I was spooked at first when old iPhoto libraries wouldn't show either, after their migration to Photos format. But after changing their extension back to original (from .migratedphotolibrary to .photolibrary) and deleting a problematic XML file from the library package, everything was back to normal. And I will keep using iPhoto for as long as I can. Bad Apple, bad.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    sedneysedney Posts: 13member

    Aperture works just fine still on mine ;) 

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by budshonda View Post



    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.

  • Reply 7 of 107
    I will miss Aperture too. But I found a great alternative if a bit more pricy. Capture One Pro by Phase One is coming on strong and has a very robust set of tools. It is also a program you can purchase thank God. I'm no fan of the subscription model that Adobe is using.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member

    Photos app is garbage... crashed so many times just trying out the sharing feature.  Now I have shared albums in my list with 0 photos and I can't delete the album or add photos to them without the app crashing (won't work with even a single photo).

     

    What is with this x.0 beta crap Apple has been putting out lately?

  • Reply 9 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,165member
    I will miss Aperture too. But I found a great alternative if a bit more pricy. Capture One Pro by Phase One is coming on strong and has a very robust set of tools. It is also a program you can purchase thank God. I'm no fan of the subscription model that Adobe is using.

    I was interested in that. How is its database functions, as in things like smart folders etc. and does it allow for timed stacks. Both key to my work flow.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,165member
    jackansi wrote: »
    Photos app is garbage... crashed so many times just trying out the sharing feature.  Now I have shared albums in my list with 0 photos and I can't delete the album or add photos to them without the app crashing (won't work with even a single photo).

    What is with this x.0 beta crap Apple has been putting out lately?

    Never crashed once for me and I threw a 500 GIG Aperture Library at it. I suggest you check your Mac's directories and catalogs. Run Disk Warrior ASAP.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,122member

    Just a head's up folks...

     

    Even though iPhoto and Aperture no longer appear in the App Store as a purchasable item, they remain on your Purchases list if you previously bought / downloaded them. I tried deleting iPhoto from my Mac and re-adding it from there, and it still downloads OK, just no longer runs on 10.10.3.

     

    Also, my copy of Aperture remains operational on 10.10.3.

     

    Cheers

  • Reply 12 of 107
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 449member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by budshonda View Post



    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.



    Ya know, I just tried to launch Aperture for the first time since 10.10.3 and it just sat there...

    Came back a few minutes later and it opened just fine.  Weird

  • Reply 13 of 107
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 716member

    Sad to see iPhoto go. But bring in the new! Photos seemed to do a pretty good job of importing all my photos, but upon first opening it, you might be in for a shock.

     

    I had my library organized by Events, which made the most sense to me. When I opened Photos, there were photos all over the place, with dates going up to 2018.

     

    Thankfully, there is a menu command to get the sidebar back. I have no idea why this magnificent interface tool has been discarded by Apple (iTunes) but it needs to be resurrected to full-time status

     

    I like the speed of navigating around. I'd like to have Events come back. I hate the huge amounts of white space in the app.

     

    If the syncing works beautifully, I'll get used to whatever. But I really wish Ive would cut down on his White obsession. Pro apps look so slick. My eyes get a break. 50 Shades of Grey was a huge hit. Copy it!

  • Reply 14 of 107
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 272member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by budshonda View Post



    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.



    Aperture continues to work as always for me, under 10.10.3.

  • Reply 15 of 107
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 710member

    "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

  • Reply 16 of 107
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by budshonda View Post



    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.



    My aperture still works fine. Aperture is gone from the App store, but it didn't delete my install. In fact, I was setting up an OS X server yesterday (10.10.3) and I couldn't download Aperture so I copied the Application file from my iMac 5K (running 10.10.3) and installed Aperture on my server.  I assume it let me do it because both computers are signed up under the same iTunes account.  Both computers run Aperture just fine and both have Apple Photos.

  • Reply 17 of 107
    pretzpretz Posts: 7member
    I've spent some time exploring Photos to decide whether to migrate from Aperture. Four key issues for me: 1. Aperture has much better control of timing for slideshows set to music. But I can send a batch of photos from Photos to Aperture if I need to use this feature. 2. Aperture has the ability to see thumbnails of all photos in a folder, while Photos only shows the key photo of each album within the folder. You have to then drill into each album to see the photos. 3. Aperture's search by keyword is superior, automatically presenting only keywords that are present in an an album or folder. 4. I, too, prefer the 'Professional' dark theme over Ive white.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

     

    Sad to see iPhoto go. But bring in the new! Photos seemed to do a pretty good job of importing all my photos, but upon first opening it, you might be in for a shock.

     

    I had my library organized by Events, which made the most sense to me. When I opened Photos, there were photos all over the place, with dates going up to 2018.

     

    Thankfully, there is a menu command to get the sidebar back. I have no idea why this magnificent interface tool has been discarded by Apple (iTunes) but it needs to be resurrected to full-time status

     

    I like the speed of navigating around. I'd like to have Events come back. I hate the huge amounts of white space in the app.

     

    If the syncing works beautifully, I'll get used to whatever. But I really wish Ive would cut down on his White obsession. Pro apps look so slick. My eyes get a break. 50 Shades of Grey was a huge hit. Copy it!


     

    I have to say I love the syncing feature. Now if they could just get the "Sharing" feature to actually work...

    I think Photos will eventually be a great product. It's just early, which is why I'm not abandoning Aperture. All my previous photos are staying in Aperture until Photos is up to speed.

  • Reply 19 of 107
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pretz View Post



    I've spent some time exploring Photos to decide whether to migrate from Aperture. Four key issues for me: 1. Aperture has much better control of timing for slideshows set to music. But I can send a batch of photos from Photos to Aperture if I need to use this feature. 2. Aperture has the ability to see thumbnails of all photos in a folder, while Photos only shows the key photo of each album within the folder. You have to then drill into each album to see the photos. 3. Aperture's search by keyword is superior, automatically presenting only keywords that are present in an an album or folder. 4. I, too, prefer the 'Professional' dark theme over Ive white.



    Agreed. I think the solution is to use Photos and Aperture for the near future.  iPhoto has always been a POS, so no heartache losing that.

  • Reply 20 of 107
    budshonda wrote: »
    As soon as I updated to 10.10.3, my Aperture app will no longer launch. Goodbye Aperture, I will miss you.

    It should still work according to Apple:
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/05/apple-sends-end-of-life-reminder-to-aperture-users-encourages-migration-to-new-photos-app
Sign In or Register to comment.