Macbook Pro Mid-2012 Failed ASD OS

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2015

Hello Everyone,

DISCLAIMER:

I'm new here and I don't know much (if anything) about the hardware that goes into MBPs.

I've had random graphical errors and pixelation appearing on my machine for a couple weeks now.  Usually they only take up about 10-20% of the screen-space at a time.  I've noticed it mostly when scrolling and clicking in certain areas while in Safari.  However, the other day it did appear once on my desktop as if on the background image, right below the menu bar.

I took it in to the "Genius" Bar.  The guy who was taking a look at it couldn't diagnose anything then and there and he suggested I leave it over night for further testing.  This morning I call them and learn that it's my motherboard and that my machine "failed ASD OS."  Searching this in Google, I can barely find anything relevant (or so I think).  I don't know what to do.  I'm typing this on my computer as I did go to pick it up because I cannot pay for the repair right away and I wanted to do some research before committing to anything.

Please let me know what you think.  I've heard about random recalls and whatnot and just don't know if this qualifies.

By the way, the machine, for now, is functioning completely fine.  There are no graphical errors, there's no pixelation and it's not running hot nor has it been.

They quoted "$310+tax" as a fix.  Please advise.  What should I do?  Thank you.