Apple sends out ticket confirmations to WWDC 2015 lottery winners

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Apple on Friday began sending out Worldwide Developers Conference 2015 ticket confirmations to lucky developers who were selected at random after registering to attend the annual event scheduled for June.

Source: Robert Neagu via Twitter

As seen in the image above, posted to Twitter by iOS developer Robert Neagu, Apple's WWDC 2015 lottery process is underway after registrations closed earlier today. Confirmations are going out to developers around the world, though some found out they were accepted through credit card charge alerts. Conference passes cost $1,599.

WWDC is expected to highlight iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 in a keynote, more than 100 technical sessions and hands-on development labs. Over 1,000 Apple engineers will be on hand to answer questions and guide third-party developers through the software building process. For 2015, Apple announced it would live stream the keynote and a number of tech sessions for those who can't attend.

Earlier this week, Apple said it would offer 350 scholarships to promote STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) learning for students and members of groups representing tech industry minorities including women, blacks, and Latinos.

WWDC 2015 is slated to run from June 8 to June 12 at Moscone West in San Francisco. Developers who registered to attend should know the status of their application by Monday, April 20 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I was selected but my bank declined the transaction. here is what in my inbox. Do you think they will give another try? I've already fixed the card so another transaction would go through:

Thank you for your order request. This order will be processed within 2 business days, and you will receive a receipt once your order is complete.

Order Details: WWDC 2015 Ticket
    1599 US$
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I'm curious if they'll make any announcements of iOS and OS X convergence.

Yes I know they addressed this about 18 months ago, commenting that they weren't even discussing it since there are very different use cases for tablets vs. laptops. And yet... as the tablet grows (iPad Pro) and the laptop shrinks (Macbook 2015), we're already seeing an approachment of the physical products; I wonder if some convergence of the OS would be a natural complement.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

"random" pick? Is it public lottery?

• Reply 4 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I feel like Charlie Bucket right now.

Some friends at a company I occasionally do some work for texted to say they had gotten golden wwdc tickets and said it was through Apple Store order notification. So for the next 2 hours I was wondering if I would get picked and then I had an email. Was an awesome feeling. Will be my first WWDC since 2007 and second since 2001.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fallenjt wrote: »
    "random" pick? Is it public lottery?

No one knows exactly how they picked but you had to register by this morning and Apple said they would let you know by Monday the 20th if you got picked.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Yes I know they addressed this about 18 months ago, commenting that they weren't even discussing it since there are very different use cases for tablets vs. laptops. And yet... as the tablet grows (iPad Pro) and the laptop shrinks (Macbook 2015), we're already seeing an approachment of the physical products; I wonder if some convergence of the OS would be a natural complement.

I'd rather not see this happen. Each platform has its strengths, and Apple also gets extra sales out of the arrangement, too. Buy a Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AppleTV... start merging some of these platforms and those extra sales also go away. I think integration is not the same as convergence.

• Reply 7 of 16
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Got in myself. 04, 05, 08, 09, 12, 15. Lottery ws starting to annoy me. :)
  • Reply 8 of 16

Wow, I got in this year!  

Last two years I tried with both company account and personal account, neither got me in.  

This year I only used my personal dev account and got in.  I wonder if it was really random or do they take IP address or number of attempts into consideration.

I've always wanted to go.  This would be my first time, so many questions, not just technical questions, like where to stay, what to do in the area... etc.

• Reply 9 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Apple also sent emails to confirm that dev applicants did not make it. bummer...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    slprescott wrote: »

That's too simplistic a way to look at it. It's like saying, "gee, my Sony PS4 and the Dell workstation at the office are converging to the same size and shape, I wonder if convergence of the OS would be a natural complement?" No, it wouldn't.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    slprescott wrote: »

Question- how many times does Apple have to shoot this down for you to believe them? Tim Cook mocks those who 'turn tablets into laptops and laptops into tablets' ever chance he can. We've all seen the surface fail because of this. What more do you want?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    allanfallanf Posts: 23member

For those who did not get ticket, go to San Francisco anyway and attend the week-long Alt-Conf.  It is hard to believe but this is a GREAT conference for all Apple Developers who did not get a ticket to WWDC and is really worth the effort and money to go to SF.  It is free to attend - just show up, although you are encouraged to spend $300 for "preferred admission" which will help the organizers with next year's Alt-Conf.

There even is free coffee and breakfast burritos in the morning.  The electricity at the meeting is awesome and sitting in the room watching the live streaming of KeyNote, etc. on the  movie-sized screen with hundreds of other developers is fun and exciting - very close to the excitement of being across the street at WWDC.  There are great sessions all week long conducted by people renowned in the developer community and also live-streaming of some of the WWDC sessions during the week. 

• Reply 13 of 16
    Am thrilled to say I got the same notification but just wondering if anyone has gotten a follow up e-mail.

Regarding "Getreadyforthis" - you can be confident Apple will submit again or call you. They know how we all feel about getting to go to WWDC.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by getreadyforthis View Post

I was selected but my bank declined the transaction. here is what in my inbox. Do you think they will give another try? I've already fixed the card so another transaction would go through:

Thank you for your order request. This order will be processed within 2 business days, and you will receive a receipt once your order is complete.

Order Details: WWDC 2015 Ticket

1599 US$

If you have not already fixed it, I'd call Apple Store immediately and have them retry.  You need to be proactive on this.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanF View Post

Am thrilled to say I got the same notification but just wondering if anyone has gotten a follow up e-mail.

After getting the order processing stuff, a few hours later I got one that had the subject

See you at WWDC 2015

and inside it said I was selected.   This was a couple hours after the Apple Store processing order email.

• Reply 16 of 16

Sorry for delay in responding - 2nd notification was sent that evening but didn't get to e-mail folder until next day or so - don't ask me why. 

If you did not get ticket to WWDC, Alt-Conf looks awfully good again.  Was there last year and Keynote and other sessions were streamed live on movie screens -the theatre (across street from Moscone-West) was packed with developers - very exciting.  Terrific live presentations from top developers and other well-known experts on UI etc. and even free breakfast.