Apple enlists premium resellers for Apple Watch distribution in China

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
With a relative dearth of Apple Stores in mainland China, Apple has tapped its network of premium resellers to display --?and possibly sell --?the Apple Watch in the run-up to its debut.

Apple Watch displays in a Chinese reseller, via @strobist on Twitter

A pint-sized version of the wood-and-glass display tables found in Apple's own retail stores, complete with a single hands-on demo unit, was spotted in a Coodoo store in Xiamen, China by photographer David Hobby. Coodoo is a Chinese electronics retail chain licensed as an Apple premium reseller.

It remains unknown whether resellers like Coodoo will be able to sell Apple Watches in-store, or if staff are equipped to handle Apple Watch try-ons. AppleInsider was unable to reach a Coodoo outlet before the close of business.

There are currently fewer than 20 official Apple Stores in mainland China, spread throughout 10 cities. Apple is in the midst of a major retail expansion that will see it double the number of first-party retail locations by 2017, but even that will represent a relatively barren footprint --?there are nearly 100 Chinese cities with over 1 million residents.

As a result, the company relies heavily on authorized resellers and wireless carriers to increase its points of purchase in China. Apple chief Tim Cook has called closing this gap a major priority in the company's growth plan for the region.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It'll be tough for buyers there to sort out the fakes from the real Apple Watches. I suspect if stores aren't already flooded with lookalikes, they will be soon.

• Reply 2 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That's silly.  These stores will be buying directly from Apple.

Right, but all the other stores will be flooded with knock-offs of varying quality.

• Reply 3 of 6
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It'll be tough for buyers there to sort out the fakes from the real Apple Watches. I suspect if stores aren't already flooded with lookalikes, they will be soon.

You're assuming that the cheap, Chinese knockoffs and the crappy (probably Android) OS running on it will be mistaken for an Apple Watch?  Really?

• Reply 4 of 6
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You're acting like people don't buy the fake ones on purpose.

• Reply 5 of 6
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

I've only met one person who thought he had a real iPhone and I had to break the news to him that it wasn't.