Longtime Apple PR director Natalie Kerris announces retirement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Apple's senior director of Worldwide Corporate Communications, Natalie Kerris, officially announced her retirement from the company via a Twitter post on Wednesday, bringing to an end a 14-year stint.

In her LinkedIn profile Kerris notes that she has overseen PR efforts for a variety of Apple products, including iPhones, iPods, iPads, iTunes, and the MacBook Air. In more recent times, she helped with marketing for Apple Pay and the Apple Watch.

"After 14 amazing years at Apple," she wrote on Twitter, "it's time to move on and see what adventures life holds for me next!"

In all, Kerris has over 25 years of work experience. This includes time with companies such as BMW, Claris, HP, Deutsche Telekom, and Netscape. Claris was a software developer spun off from Apple in 1987. It transformed into FileMaker in 1998, and is still under the Apple umbrella.

It's not clear where Kerris may be headed, as even her LinkedIn account still lists her at Apple. At one point she was a possible candidate to replace former Communications vice president Katie Cotton, but last week that role was handed to interim replacement Steve Dowling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I can't even imagine how much her job at apple has grown in complexity and scale over the last 14 years. That she rode it out this long is amazing! I hope she isn't leaving because she was passed over for Cotton's old position.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At one point she was possible candidate to replace former Communications vice president Katie Cotton, but last week that role was handed to interim replacement Steve Dowling.

There indeed may be the problem/reason.

• Reply 3 of 8
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    buzdots wrote: »
    There indeed may be the problem/reason.

Or maybe after 14 years she decided she wanted to do something else. 14 years is a long time to be with one company.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ...and she undoubtedly has a sweet honeypot of Apple shares to help her enjoy her
    journey.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Thank you Natalie for a job well done. Enjoy whatever comes next.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I can't even imagine how much her job at apple has grown in complexity and scale over the last 14 years. That she rode it out this long is amazing! I hope she isn't leaving because she was passed over for Cotton's old position.

This happens all the time. She may not necessarily have been forced out. It could have been voluntary because she didn't want to report to a former peer. Either way, it's fairly common when a new leader is announced for others in consideration to move on, either within the organization or outside it.

• Reply 7 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Or maybe after 14 years she decided she wanted to do something else. 14 years is a long time to be with one company.

Really?  14 years?  I worked 18 at my last job before I got a offer on another job and quit.   It was a risk, but I like the new job much better and hope to be here many years to come.  Retirement,....I'll drop dead before that happens.

• Reply 8 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Really?  14 years?  I worked 18 at my last job before I got a offer on another job and quit.   It was a risk, but I like the new job much better and hope to be here many years to come.  Retirement,....I'll drop dead before that happens.

Usually the only way to get large consistent raises is to always network and change jobs every 3-4 years, unless you join a startup or start your own business. Fourteen to eighteen years at one job is quite a long time...then again, if you love what you're doing the pay doesn't matter.