Does Apple Use Focus Groups?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I began thinking about this in regards to the increase in the Ti's resolution. I am confident they could have made it higher, but probably chose to keep it at a level that most people are comfortable with. So how do they decide what "most people are comfortable with?" The most reliable way would be to test individuals from the consuming public.

Also, with the new eMac, I wonder how much research was done on form, size, and aesthetics. Would Apple have brought in educators from across America (the World?) to weigh in on exactly what they wanted in an educational computer?

.... and if they do use focus groups, how do I get on one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>I began thinking about this in regards to the increase in the Ti's resolution. I am confident they could have made it higher, but probably chose to keep it at a level that most people are comfortable with. So how do they decide what "most people are comfortable with?" The most reliable way would be to test individuals from the consuming public.

Also, with the new eMac, I wonder how much research was done on form, size, and aesthetics. Would Apple have brought in educators from across America (the World?) to weigh in on exactly what they wanted in an educational computer?

.... and if they do use focus groups, how do I get on one? </strong><hr></blockquote>

The eMac is the exact specifications that the los angeles unified school district wanted. Their contract with apple was running out and they point blank said deliver what we want or we go pc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Yeah, for the Titanium revision, Apple sought feedback from people on the internet, but I don't know what they did as far as focus groups.

I agree with you on the resolution, Apple could have gone to a higher resolution, but they wanted to strike a balance that would keep text readable.

I'm still surprised that Apple didn't make OS X a resolution-independent OS. Using Quartz this couldn't have been very difficult to do, and already some parts of OS X are resolution independent, like the dock (try changing resolutions--notice how the dock remains the same size regardless), it would have been a smart move to keep everything in OS X resolution independent. A preference pane with a simple slider would rocked, just let the user adjust the OS scaling using the slider, that way text can be sized perfectly and the user can max out the resolution on their display for optimal image quality.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    All I really hear is Jobs saying, "we listened to our customers..."

What I'd like to know is, do the comments on this forum has any weight at all?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Yeah, for the Titanium revision, Apple sought feedback from people on the internet, but I don't know what they did as far as focus groups.

I agree with you on the resolution, Apple could have gone to a higher resolution, but they wanted to strike a balance that would keep text readable.

I'm still surprised that Apple didn't make OS X a resolution-independent OS. Using Quartz this couldn't have been very difficult to do, and already some parts of OS X are resolution independent, like the dock (try changing resolutions--notice how the dock remains the same size regardless), it would have been a smart move to keep everything in OS X resolution independent. A preference pane with a simple slider would rocked, just let the user adjust the OS scaling using the slider, that way text can be sized perfectly and the user can max out the resolution on their display for optimal image quality.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is there a reason that the size of icons and text can't be adjusted? Would this really be such a problem? It seems like such an obvious option to include.