Pharrell performs at Apple campus in celebration of Earth Day, dons Apple Watch onstage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Continuing Apple's Earth Day festivities, the company on Wednesday held a concert at its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where musician -- and early Apple Watch recipient -- Pharrell performed.

Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted out a picture of the performance, captioned, "Thanks @Pharrell for an unforgettable Earth Day celebration," using the music icon's Twitter handle. Others in attendance also posted photos of the event to social media sites, including one showing Pharrell holding up his Apple Watch Edition to the crowd.

Pharrell was among the first high-profile celebrities to be seen wearing Watch in public well before public availability, in his case at a taping of NBC's talent show "The Voice" in early April. He later uploaded a short Instagram video showing off the device configured with a Mickey Mouse watch face.

Since then, the marketing campaign has extended to Katy Perry, Drake and British rugby star Will Carling. Most recently, Beyonce was spotted wearing a yellow gold Apple Watch Edition with custom gold link bracelet, a combination first seen on the wrist of fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld.

Today's concert is part of a wider Apple campaign touting the company's environmental responsibility initiatives. Earlier today, for example, employees at Apple Stores around the world wore green shirts and put up special signage, changing the leaf in Apple's iconic logo green.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok so this video of Tim, Eddy, Phil and Jeff dancing to 'Happy' like dorks is kind of :embarrass

11184456_392577560934778_230265649_n.jpg

Meanwhile at the Condé Nast Luxury Conference Jony Ive looks completely bored and is probably wondering why the chairs are so damn small. :D But at least he didn't have to sit through an Al Gore lecture on global warming. ;)

Rupert+Adams+Conde+Nast+International+Luxury+gjZV-zHtCrll.jpg
  • Reply 2 of 17

Jimmy pulled some strings.

• Reply 3 of 17
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok so this video of Tim, Eddy, Phil and Jeff dancing to 'Happy' like dorks is kind of :embarrass

11184456_392577560934778_230265649_n.jpg

Oh my...well, I can say one thing.

Gil Amelio would NEVER have done that.
    Spoiler:
  • Reply 4 of 17

I am guessing that Pharrell (I honestly don't care much for his musical capabilities, but that's just me) must have demanded (and Apple obviously acquiesced to his demand for) an Apple Watch.

The Edition, no less.

• Reply 5 of 17
    I am guessing that Pharrell (I honestly don't care much for his musical capabilities, but that's just me) must have demanded (and Apple obviously acquiesced to his demand for) an Apple Watch.

The Edition, no less.

I've seen him wearing multiple Watches on The Voice, not just the Edition. The one in the photo above appears to be the SS with light pink sport band.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've seen him wearing multiple Watches on The Voice, not just the Edition. The one in the photo above appears to be the SS with light pink sport band.

I don't watch The Voice. I did not realize he's been wearing multiple Watches on it.

• Reply 7 of 17
    I don't watch The Voice. I did not realize he's been wearing multiple Watches on it.

Yeah I think he was wearing a red sport band on Monday and light pink one on Tuesday.
  • Reply 8 of 17

If she wasn't dead I would swear my old maid aunt posted this. She managed to find cynicism much easier to find than a boyfriend...and no one in the family wonders why.

But curious, if it's a serious post,why the snark-ism about Pharell demanding and Apple acquiescing? He's a decent guy, like his music or not, and from 43 million downloads of his mega-hit, he got around $2300 in royalties, maybe some more in publishing rights. Doesn't bother some people as it doesn't bother them to pirate features and television, but there are people who do that work for a living. An honest living. How about a developer (which I'm not) getting 43 million downloads of a game he/she created and gets $2300 for their efforts?

• Reply 9 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    He had 3 huge songs in the last few years,
    so he's kind of popular. He's also well regarded in fashion circles too
    (so, that makes it a double wammy).

Blurred Lines (with Robin Thicke)
    Happy (Solo)
    Get Lucky (with Daft Punk)
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

He's a decent guy, like his music or not, ....

I have no doubt that he's a fabulously decent guy. (I think you were referring to my post; if not, please just ignore this response).

• Reply 11 of 17
    Oh man it gets worse. Can Tim, Phil and Eddy be any dorkier?

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah I think he was wearing a red sport band on Monday and light pink one on Tuesday.

Sooo... you're saying multiple versions of the ?watch then...??

• Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

You're right, he's not afraid to make fashion statements... AND he carries them off very well! (I'm thinking right now of the huge Canadian Mountie hat that was punched out of shape)  :-)

• Reply 14 of 17
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    foggyhill wrote: »

Blurred Lines (with Robin Thicke)
    Happy (Solo)
    Get Lucky (with Daft Punk)

I liked Get Lucky. Not enough to buy it, though.

IMHO, the only musical artist deserving to be referred to with one name was Elvis, and he's dead.

Bono, Madonna, Prince, Sting, and all the one-note, one-name hiphoppers? Nahhh.

(showing my age here, sorry, the last CD I bought was by Pink (Full name: Alecia Beth Moore) in 2001)

True journalism dictates that upon initial reference of a one-namer in an article, you provide their real name-you know, the one on their contracts?

Just a matter of time before Jony Ive becomes Jony, or even merely "J".

I'd buy him an H and another N....

/i /s
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Pharrell used to be featured in Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ad campaign. [@] so a little surprising
  • Reply 16 of 17
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    xixo wrote: »
    I liked Get Lucky. Not enough to buy it, though.

IMHO, the only musical artist deserving to be referred to with one name was Elvis, and he's dead.

Bono, Madonna, Prince, Sting, and all the one-note, one-name hiphoppers? Nahhh.

(showing my age here, sorry, the last CD I bought was by Pink (Full name: Alecia Beth Moore) in 2001)

True journalism dictates that upon initial reference of a one-namer in an article, you provide their real name-you know, the one on their contracts?
    Just a matter of time before Jony Ive becomes Jony, or even merely "J".
    I'd buy him an H and another N....
    /i /s
    Yes.
    I am not aware he was pushing the one name thing, so I'm not sure why the article is. Not mentioning his surname makes it look like the writer thinks "Pharrell" is his surname.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    lame pandering, but Apple knows it will pay off. Honestly I think "Happy" is one of the lamest, popular songs I've ever heard. Not catchy, not inspiring, repetetive, boring garbage. The anthem of people who pretend they are happy.