Final Cut Pro 10.2.1 solves bugs causing crashes, Timeline problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited May 2015
Apple on Thursday issued a minor update to Final Cut Pro X, its professional video editing suite, fixing a trio of bugs including a critical crash-on-start issue seen by some users.

The 10.2.1 patch for instance returns support for Panasonic AVCCAM video at 25p and 30p frame rates, and increases accuracy when dragging to select a range in the Timeline. Most critically, it fixes a problem that would sometimes cause Final Cut to quit immediately after launch.

The last update to Final Cut, 10.2, was released in mid-April. That version added new 3D titles, and improved masking for effects and color grading.

The 10.2.1 update is available through the Mac App Store. Final Cut Pro X is $300 new, and requires OS X 10.10.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I'm stilling running 10.1.1
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I never had that issue but good to know it's fixed.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm stilling running 10.1.1

10 .2 is a major update. How come your app didn't auto update?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    10 .2 is a major update. How come your app didn't auto update?

I opted out, for exactly these scenarios. When I saw the initial reviews of 10.2 in the App Store reported instability where the previous version hardly ever crashes, I knew I made the right choice. Besides I don't need 3D titles or some of new codecs.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    There is also a Motion update.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I opted out, for exactly these scenarios. When I saw the initial reviews of 10.2 in the App Store reported instability where the previous version hardly ever crashes, I knew I made the right choice. Besides I don't need 3D titles or some of new codecs.

I never had a crash but with a new Mac Pro maybe I wasn't affected. What are you running it on?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I never had a crash but with a new Mac Pro maybe I wasn't affected. What are you running it on?

2.7Ghz MBPr with 16GB of RAM
  • Reply 8 of 9
    martinxyzmartinxyz Posts: 98member
    I had the issue. iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 2GB VRAM, 24GB RAM etc. Just upgraded to 10.10.3 from 10.9 so I could get FCPX 10.2 (and Motion 5.2), after they'd been out for about 2 weeks, long enough for bugs to emerge and at least be mentioned on sites I frequent. Or so I thought.

They both crashed on startup every time. I pulled out plug-ins, uninstalled FX Factory and validated all my fonts. Nothing helped. I logged a job with Apple and after a 2 hour phone call, FCP X started working, possibly more through good luck than anything else. Not so Motion.

Apple remotely collected log files from my whole Mac, the unseen Pro Apps team ruminated, and after a few days they sagely suggested I validate my fonts, remove invalid ones and restart. Still didn't work. I let them know and sent the Motion crash logs again. I was just about to email them again when they came out with 10.2.1 and 5.2.1, and all is good again.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    martinxyzmartinxyz Posts: 98member

I had the issue. iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 2GB VRAM, 24GB RAM etc. Just upgraded to 10.10.3 from 10.9 so I could get FCPX 10.2 (and Motion 5.2), after they'd been out for about 2 weeks, long enough for bugs to emerge and at least be mentioned on sites I frequent. Or so I thought.

They both crashed on startup every time. I pulled out plug-ins, uninstalled FX Factory and validated all my fonts. Nothing helped. I logged a job with Apple and after a 2 hour phone call, FCP X started working, possibly more through good luck than anything else. Not so Motion.

Apple remotely collected log files from my whole Mac, the unseen Pro Apps team ruminated, and after a few days they sagely suggested I validate my fonts, remove invalid ones and restart. Still didn't work. I let them know and sent the Motion crash logs again. I was just about to email them again when they came out with 10.2.1 and 5.2.1, and all is good again.