iHub - the digital appliance?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A while ago there was some discussion of internet appliances and the general consensus was, "Why buy one when a real computer costs just a little more?". But I think a digital hub appliance might be a good idea. Maybe the only thing holding Apple back is that LCDs need to get cheaper because a CRT version wouldn't be that appealing. Right now Apple is selling a low end iMac to the education market for $699. I think the iHub would need to cost between $349 and $499.

Here are the factors that could make the iHub successful:

- Apple has several iApps that take very little time to learn. In fact, each iApp should be advertised with the amount of time it takes to learn.

- The Apple retail stores are already giving free classes. You would be given free lessons on all the apps that come with the iHub.

- The basic activities that novices use their computer for are well known and Apple can cover all the areas.

- The Aqua interface is user friendly and breaks into distinct parts. The only thing a basic user would need real instruction in is understanding the concept of the file system. The Unix files could be hidden. And on the iHub, you wouldn't need half of the control panels.

The iHub would only be upgradable when Apple chooses to update the apps or add new ones. This wouldn't be a full function computer, which would reduce complexity. Here are the apps that should be included:

iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iChat, Preview, Stickies, Address Book, Mail, TextEdit

OmniWeb or IE , OmniOutliner (amazingly simple and great app)

maybe AOL

AppleWorks and Quicken

The last two would obviously require a little more training. I know the idea of selling a limited appliance computer is difficult, but the software that Apple has is just so good and far ahead of it's counterparts that it's possible. Plus you have salespeople and classes to explain everything the buyer needs to know. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Digital Hubs and iHubs are pure marketing. The reason why they're so difficult to explain to people is centered around the fact that iTunes, iPhoto etc are no different than running Soundjam, Portfolio etc. Because they come from Apple they're marketed as Digital Hub devices when that's total crap. Where's the "special" linkages to each program. Shouldn't I be able to have iPhoto automatically crop a photo to NTSC resolution and place it into iMovie. The Dig Hub concept won't take off truly until it becomes indespensible and bulletproof. Apple has not "enabled" me to do anything with iApps that I haven't been able to do before. RDF in full effect!