Apple Watch shipments likely to remain under 15 million through Sept., insider says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

If this is a failed product then I think many other companies would like to be producing billion dollar failed products like this. If watch production eventually gets wound down (no pun intended) then I applaud Apple for trying. 

• Reply 22 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    brucemc wrote: »
    I am not convinced they will sell nearly that many by end of September 2015 (that was my top-end number for all of 2015, including the holiday season).  That by itself would have made it the best selling new Apple product in history (beating the iPad).  So you are saying that to sell 15M units of a new product (version 1.0) in 2 quarters is "kinda small"?  By what measure?

I think he meant 15mm, as in millimetres, is small.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Kinda small, though.

"and amidst unknown levels of consumer demand" = euphemism for FAILURE.

• Reply 24 of 66
    freediverx wrote: »

For me one of the biggest potential features is Siri. The voice recognition and transcription work really well, but more often than not the response instructs you to pull out your iPhone to see the results, which is pretty much pointless.

I agree with your point in Siri bits perfect for the Watch.

In which App did you have to check the result on the phone?
  • Reply 25 of 66
    gregquinn wrote: »
    If this is a failed product then I think many other companies would like to be producing billion dollar failed products like this. If watch production eventually gets wound down (no pun intended) then I applaud Apple for trying. 

Who said it's a failed product?
  • Reply 26 of 66
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Proven track record in predictions? Heck I say they will sell far less than 50 Billion this quarter. My track record is 100% so far.

• Reply 27 of 66
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Interesting that they won't release sales figures. Perhaps they feel the actual figures are underwhelming?
  • Reply 28 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

15 millions watches is more than all the Android crap-watches has ever sold since the beginning of time, and Apple did it in a few months.

If that's a failure for a smart watch then please, show me RIGHT NOW what a "successful" smartwatch is?

• Reply 29 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

15mm? I will take that.

That's like 14 million more then all the Android watches combined last year.

• Reply 30 of 66
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh wow, can't argue with those facts and that logic. Less than 15 million in a few months for a new product category? Absolute disaster. 

If anything, Kuo implies that demand is higher than what Apple (is predicted to) ship, and as a corollary, there's no inventory of unsold watches lying around somewhere; pretty much every watch they make gets shipped directly to a paying customer.

I found the Watch immediately useful. Notifications, navigation aid, Siri, remote control for Apple TV and iPhone playback, and the activity coach. Love Glances. Great battery life under normal usage. It's a winner. It's not a toy by any means. Superfluous perhaps, but it quickly becomes essential, but you have to wear it all the time you are awake to get the intended benefits.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    mm = millimeters.
    MM = thousand x thousand in finance.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I heard one women say that the Apple Store should have mirrors for women to see how they look wearing the watch. Seems like a reasonable request for a fashion item. I wonder if Angela decided against that feature or perhaps they figure that the fashion retailers will support that mode of sales.

Apple "enthusiasts" don't need to see themselves with the product, the fact that Apple made it is enough. ;-)

I would agree that most people in general, not just women, prefer to try something on and buy it right then. The fact that it's widely known that there are no watches available for purchase in the stores, likely puts people off from even entertaining the watch at present. I probably would not have bought my original iPad if I couldn't have walked into the store without fighting crowds, try it out and then walk out with it. If I had to go home and order it at that point, I probably wouldn't have bought it then. It was an impulse buy.    

Also, I wouldn't just lump women into the category of wanting to see how the watch looks with their outfit, or the overall impression it makes wearing it. I would chalk it up to the fashion conscious, men or women. You mention "fashion retailers" supporting that mode of sales, but where and when? Not everybody is going to go to Maxfield in the US to try one on with Mirrors. I know Apple indicated partnering with some department stores, but is there any more news on that? It may be a very long time before the fashion conscious may have a mirror to help make their purchase.

• Reply 33 of 66
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

I think he meant 15mm, as in millimetres, is small.

Ahhh...

• Reply 34 of 66
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    One can not draw conclusions based on the launch of the Apple watch and the mess it was and compare it to previoise Apple product launch patterns !
    Once product availibilty and the exposure is there then one can extrapolate demand and popularity.
    The word of mouth and buzz is not there yet due to extream scarcity !
  • Reply 35 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If anything, Kuo implies that demand is higher than what Apple (is predicted to) ship, and as a corollary, there's no inventory of unsold watches lying around somewhere; pretty much every watch they make gets shipped directly to a paying customer.

Really? This is language used on macrumors:

Headline: Apple Watch Demand Flattening...

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo issued a note to investors today that claims Apple Watch demand may be slowing down, resulting in shipment forecasts being revised down by 20% to 30% to 5-6 million units in the third quarter. 

Then again, that website is a troll haven, with articles meant to attract the flies. 

• Reply 36 of 66
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

ooh, ceramic would be cool

Liquid Metal would be cooler!! Much cooler!! I hope that happens - it seems that Liquid Metal would be great material for a watch.

• Reply 37 of 66
    I'll never understand the overly optimistic estimates of Apple Watch sales.

The most successful new product ln Apple's history was the iPad, and during its first 8 months of availability (a period 3 weeks longer than the Apple Watch will enjoy) Apple sold 14.783 Million iPads.

The iPad had a clear use case, not so much the Apple Watch. So its very reasonable to expect initial Apple Watch unit sales to be lower than initial iPad sales. Frankly, I see Apple Watch sales exceeding 121 Million units by January to be a colossal success story, as first month Apple Watch sales has eclipsed industry 5 year total for the category.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Kinda small, though.

Kinda Small? The ENTIRE sales for all other smartwatches ever is around 800,000..... if they sold 15M over the next 5 years it would be an amazingly large number. To have sold $3M over the 1st day is beyond huge and is a major success.....

• Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Morky View Post

In other words they will generate more revenue from a single new product line in five months than the whole company did in fy 2004.

and 100x what all other companies combined have made selling smart watches to date.... total failure.

• Reply 40 of 66
    troyholl99 wrote: »
    Kinda Small? The ENTIRE sales for all other smartwatches ever is around 800,000..... if they sold 15M over the next 5 years it would be an amazingly large number. To have sold $3M over the 1st day is beyond huge and is a major success.....

mm = millimetres
    Lighten up.