Watch OS 1.0.1 update causes Apple Watches to skip heart rate tracking, users say

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
This week's Watch OS 1.0.1 update has caused some Apple Watches to track heart rate sporadically, in some cases with an hour or more between readings, according to complaints on Apple's support forums, and verified by AppleInsider's own tests.

Watch owners first began complaining about the issue on Wednesday, noting that Apple officially states that the Watch should take a reading every 10 minutes outside of the Workout app. In some cases the Watch is not only taking much longer to obtain a reading, but failing to do so at all unless wearers launch Workout or an appropriate Glance.

Workout tracking appears to functional normally for the most part, although one poster on Apple's forums said that during a bike ride his Watch was stuck searching for a heart rate, something he'd never seen prior.

One AppleInsider editor observed on Friday that until he forced a reading, his Watch hadn't recorded any heart rate data since Thursday, despite having worn the device for hours.

Apple has so far experienced a mixed public reaction to the Watch's heart rate sensor. While the technology has made the Watch a pick for a handful of medical trials, the company was also forced to admit that it may not work at all with wrist tattoos.

When it is working, however, the accuracy of the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor has been praised for its accuracy, especially when considering many wrist-worn heart rate monitors have historically been unreliable. One test conducted earlier this month found that the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor is essentially on par with the Mio Alpha, a dedicated heart rate tracker also worn on the wrist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Agree...my HR recordings are sporadic too.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    moo083moo083 Posts: 11member
    This is completely correct. I just went for a 20 minute speed-walk and just got back and noticed, first off that it thought I only got 5 minutes of exercise which seems off, but then I checked the heart rate and it said it was last measured 9 hours before.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    That is, well... it is true, sometimes there are gaps. But is has nothing to do with the update. Users would have found that out, if they scrolled back to daily stats where the update was not even published. So I can verify that this behavior was there before OS 1.0.1.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member

There are big gaps in my heart rate data, too. I also took my watch on a run last night and the Workout app said I should bring my iPhone to calibrate it. Problem is, I already did that. The distance data was completely wrong. It underestimated my run by at least half a mile. If an update is going to reset the stride calibration, it should warn you before you're like three blocks from home.

• Reply 5 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Fortunately, this does not seem to be an issue for me after the update.....

• Reply 6 of 44
    So, users battery life should be improved, too?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Well as long as the update doesn't cause your heart to skip, I guess we will be OK. :smokey:

• Reply 8 of 44
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    The behaviour looks like a bug in your tests, in other test's it seems like the time period was being stretched to an hour during periods of inactivity.

It could be a mixture of factors since apple didn't go into detail about what changes they made to the standing ring tests (which rely on part on the heart rate sensor.)

Previously if the HR sensor was unable to get the HR before the time-out period, then it wouldn't retry. (Perhaps the timeout period has been shortened?)
  • Reply 9 of 44
    dgmvwdgmvw Posts: 54member

Mine is sporadic as well.

• Reply 10 of 44
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Cramming through the updates at Cupertino? Like the latest iOS update which has a lot of problems, like not being able to connect to wifi networks (rebooting iOS device helps).

All software, of course, has bugs, but this is one they shouldn't have let happen, particularly for a new product.

• Reply 11 of 44
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I was in an Apple Store last week and put my finger under the watch. It claimed my pulse rate was 163 bpm. I was excited to see the watch, but not that excited. think I'd be dead of that were the case. I don't know if the OS update had been run on those watches and I don't know if there is any kind of calibration procedure, but that number was obviously way wrong. My pulse rate is normally in the 70s.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    zer0her0zer0her0 Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Trust View Post

That is, well... it is true, sometimes there are gaps. But is has nothing to do with the update. Users would have found that out, if they scrolled back to daily stats where the update was not even published. So I can verify that this behavior was there before OS 1.0.1.

Yea, I also noticed it sometimes would go for an hour or more w/o update. At first I thought it was because it noticed I was sitting and didn't bother doing a reading, but i've noticed it would go for 20-30 minutes while i had been walking around, up and down stairs, so on. So no idea, but def saw this "issue" pre 1.0.1

• Reply 13 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Thanks you early adopters who can not wait to be the first to install an update, you saved me from being fustrated that something was no longer working, which work well before.

Not sure how Apple QA missed this one, this seems obvious to and easy to check. I guess Apple did not allow people to use it for a little while before handling it out to the rest of us.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I was in an Apple Store last week and put my finger under the watch. It claimed my pulse rate was 163 bpm. I was excited to see the watch, but not that excited. think I'd be dead of that were the case. I don't know if the OS update had been run on those watches and I don't know if there is any kind of calibration procedure, but that number was obviously way wrong. My pulse rate is normally in the 70s.

The finger isn't where the watch is designed to do the measurement so that would surely mess up the data.

• Reply 15 of 44
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Ok, AI - if you're going to talk about products.. actually have a clue.. The Macbook Pro 15" discrete GPU was fairly significant upgrade.. about 70% preference increase. Now, the fact they switch to AMD GPU can be a big issue for nVidia fans... but thats a different subject.

You guys didn't even touch on the GPU continued move to AMD.. which .. ok.. just shows you didn't bother to actually find out.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

Can anyone who has a Watch tell me if it picks up the heart rate if worn face down instead of face up on the wrist? I am considering getting a Watch but I hear there are issues if you try to wear the Watch on the underside of the wrist instead of over the top. Thanks.

• Reply 17 of 44
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

I have a suprventricular tachycardia which is hard to diagnose unless someone happens to be measuring their heart rate when it happens. Before I was on medication my heart rate would sometimes hit over 200 and then quickly come back down to my typical resting heart rate around 63. Since I have been on medication I typically top out in the 130s if sitting or the 180s if running. Your not likely to die with a high momentary reading.

• Reply 18 of 44
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Hi, this is Gene Munster. I now advising that all investors SELL their APPL holdings due to this issue with Apple Watch heartbeat monitoring. I am also amending my prediction of Apple Watch sales from 36M in the first year to 200,000.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    the company was also forced to admit that it may not work at all with wrist tattoos.

holy loaded language, batman! did you hear that? Apple was *forced* to *admit* that it may not work on some tattoo use cases.

why "forced to admit" rather than something neutral such as "confirmed", or such?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Cramming through the updates at Cupertino? Like the latest iOS update which has a lot of problems, like not being able to connect to wifi networks (rebooting iOS device helps).

no problems here. maybe theres an .isTroll config setting set to true on yours?