AppleCare screwy again

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A lot of people here know about my Powerbook 'woes'. I've got a PowerBook G3/500, which at one point, was at Apple from October of 2000 to January of 2001 getting repaired!

Any way, I bought the (expensive) AppleCare extended warranty for this machine but each time I call up for tech support, they say my 'number' is being used by someone else's iMac in Europe!

I've had the problem 'fixed' at least 10 times now, but every time I call up again, they seem to have forgotten me, my machine, and my AppleCare status!

The latest problem? Just a few minutes ago, my PowerBook wouldn't read a Diablo II CD, one that it had read 10 minutes earlier. It ejected the disc from my desktop and the laptop would no longer read it. When I removed the CD, part of the drive came with it! Needless to say, my DVD drive is 'toast'.

But the worst part is, I call up tech support to get it fixed and once again, they have LOST MY AppleCare enrollment number!!!!!

I'm on 'hold' now, and I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Yikes, sometimes I don't know why I bother.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Damn! That sucks... you should demand that they give you another 3 years of coverage and a new # so that you are never forgotten again!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm no longer on the phone with the tech because he can't help me without a policy number. Now I'm once again on the phone with AppleCare customer support. I'll keep you updated.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    This is why I never get AppleCare and I get an extended warantee from the place where I got the computer (my iMac CompUSA and my iBook The Wiz).
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Ok, I just got off of the phone with Apple, and I have yet another 'new' AppleCare number. They say my new DVD drive will come within a few days, and then I return the old one. Hopefully, it will work out.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>This is why I never get AppleCare and I get an extended warantee from the place where I got the computer (my iMac CompUSA and my iBook The Wiz).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cant you still buy applecare later on if you wanted to anyway? If so, how long would it last? 2 more years or 3?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

Cant you still buy applecare later on if you wanted to anyway? If so, how long would it last? 2 more years or 3?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you could. I believe it would be 2 years but I'm not 100% sure, someone help him out with that question.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That AppleCare doesn't seem to expensive now though, does it Fran? I haven't priced out drives, but still... nice to have it replaced on the spot like that.

I don't think I'd get a laptop without it.

Stil can't believe all the shit you deal with on that Pismo though buddy...I feel for ya.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Applecare blows, get a warantee from wherever you purchased the computer (except the Apple Store cause you're stuck with applecare). Anyone who uses that AppleCare bullshit can shampoo my crotch
  • Reply 9 of 12
    They told me that they needed to put a charge on my credit card to make sure I sent the old one back.

Cost of DVD drive: $508! :eek:
  • Reply 10 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    One week from now: Fran haven´t recieved the drive, Apple say he have and wants him to return the old drive if they are not to charge the $508. Fran returns his drive and Apple claims they haven´t recieve it.

Two weeks from now: Fran visits LA and when the sun sets Infinite Loop one and two doesn´t exist anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    After all of this, I don't know how I could recommend AppleCare to any one. My experience has been this:

Buy computer.

Buy AppleCare.

Computer breaks, call Apple.

Apple says 'no AppleCare'.

Apple 'fixes' issue with AppleCare.

Computer returns fixed (but sometimes months later.) Apple usually wants $$$. :confused:

Call Apple.

Problem resolved?

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    Fran, (hee hee my fiance's name is Franci)

Hmm.. I have always been skeptical of AppleCare...

Anyhow, my DVD drive from my pismo died so I returned it to Apple. (actually the articulation points which held the CD/DVD in place as it spun couldn't "hang on" to the CD at high speeds of spinning so nothing would mount in 9 or X. The CD kept "scrapeing" the tray cause the CD would wobble or slip down like a loose pair of pants on the cylinder....)

They sent me back a new DVD drive in a few weeks and pulled the credit card bit also...

I was happy for about 2 weeks when, low and behold, THE SAME THING HAPPENS. The apple DVD players a pieces of shite. I now have to send it back AGAIN. Hopefully they won't send me another "new" one, but a real non-refurbished NEW one..... Grrr

Oh well... everything else has held up really well! *sigh*