Rumor: Apple taps AU Optronics to build 4-inch iPhone screens for 2016 hardware update

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Supplier AU Optronics has secured a deal to produce screens for a future 4-inch iPhone, which may be in the works to ship in 2016, a report said.

Apple is allegedly working on two devices, which the Chinese-language Economic Daily News referred to as the "iPhone 7" and the "iPhone 7c." Most reports have suggested that Apple's next flagship phones will be called the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, with a third device -- possibly a 6c -- representing a more affordable entry point.

At the moment Apple sells a full four iPhone models. Although it steers people towards the 6 and 6 Plus, shoppers can still buy a 5s or even a 5c, the latter based on the internals of 2012's iPhone 5.

A first-quarter iPhone launch would be unprecedented for Apple, which has always preferred a summer or fall release date. But while rumors out of the Far East sometimes accurately peg future hardware plans, their claims about the timing of product launches frequently miss the mark.

Connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has, however, previously claimed that Apple will not release a new 4-inch iPhone until 2016, which could back the EDN rumor. According to Kuo, Apple is considering an upgraded 4-inch handset with Apple Pay for next year, not this fall.

For the past several years the smartphone industry has trended towards screens approaching or exceeding 5 inches. Apple ultimately caved to demand last year, producing the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch 6 Plus. A 4-inch device may still have some appeal however, as both a cheaper and a more compact option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Yes, please. I did not buy an iPhone 6 because both models and form factors are just too big for me. I bought an iPhone 5s instead after the iPhone 6 came out. Yet the iPhone 5 is also too big for me; the iPhone 4 was the optimal size. I want a device that can fit in a standard shirt breast pocket and which I can hold and operate entirely with one hand. That's the iPhone 4 form factor. The iPhone 5 form factor is barely acceptable on that account. If Apple comes out with a new 4-inch phone, I'll buy it.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I don't want them to come out with a new 4", I live for the tears of whiners. /s

People need to try the 4.7", not assume it's too big.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    4 is backward.

No need.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

4 is backward. It's what I need.

If I want a bigger screen, I have options in a tethered iPad or iPad mini.

• Reply 5 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Yeah, because the size of an iPhone 6 is comparable to that of an iPad, right?
    Some of you people are hilarious.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    True mobility is the iPad. 4.7" is useless to the majority of iPad owners. 6 Plus is never targeted to be an iPad killer and it won't be.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I think Apple needs to kill all non-Apple Pay capable phones ASAP.

I also think they should keep the number of form factors to a minimum. One of the frustrations I've had with my 5c (yeah, I'm cheap) is that far fewer accessories/cases are made for it than the other models.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    There are sizable people who prefers smaller(let's say 4") size phones. I said any smartphones and not just iPhone. They don't use it for video streaming or much of internet browsing. They mostly use for calling, texting, calendar, like that.. Now, if Apple can't come out smaller screen iPhone in 2015 than lots of people will not upgrade to iphone 6/plus and not wait till fall of 2016 but will show finger to Apple and move to smaller screen android mini phones. Iphone 5s is lacking clean calling audio feature like VOLTE, and Voice over WIFI and Apple pay. So, not sure why people even consider to buy iphone 5s.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    wood1208 wrote: »
    There are sizable people who prefers smaller(let's say 4") size phones. I said any smartphones and not just iPhone. They don't use it for video streaming or much of internet browsing. They mostly use for calling, texting, calendar, like that.. Now, if Apple can't come out smaller screen iPhone in 2015 than lots of people will not upgrade to iphone 6/plus and not wait till fall of 2016 but will show finger to Apple and move to smaller screen android mini phones. Iphone 5s is lacking clean calling audio feature like VOLTE, and Voice over WIFI and Apple pay. So, not sure why people even consider to buy iphone 5s.

People who don't use their iPhone for its purpose...why are they buying an iPhone?

The bigger screens aren't just for "browsing" and "video streaming".
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Apple needs to follow the Android smartphone rules: bigger = premium, smaller = cheap junk.
    Do not deviate from established market norms how dare you Apple. /s
  • Reply 11 of 41
    ericwvggericwvgg Posts: 16member
    I can%u2019t be the only person who thinks the 5 was too big and longs for an iPhone the size of the old 4th-gen iPod Touch%u2026
  • Reply 12 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I think Apple needs to kill all non-Apple Pay capable phones ASAP.

I also think they should keep the number of form factors to a minimum. One of the frustrations I've had with my 5c (yeah, I'm cheap) is that far fewer accessories/cases are made for it than the other models.

Why? Lower tier user ain't care about Apple Pay. In fact, less than 10% iPhone 6 and 6+ owners actual use Apple Pay.

• Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

did Android have the "sizable people" too? They're 80% market shares and got no 4" phone. Android Mini? LOL...something like 4.5"? Yup...4.7" is too big, let's move to Android to get 4.5". A nut joke.

BTW, you will get your wish of 4" phone, but it's is exactly the same as 5S with NFC for Apple Pay and a plastic case.

• Reply 14 of 41
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The iPhone 6 is too large for me to use one-handed, so I won't replace my iPhone 5S until Apple release a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The article makes no sense. Why would Apple build a smartphone sized to fit in smaller pockets and be usable in one hand? Nobody wants this! [I]You're smartphoning wrong![/I] /s
  • Reply 16 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wheat Williams View Post

Yes, please. I did not buy an iPhone 6 because both models and form factors are just too big for me. I bought an iPhone 5s instead after the iPhone 6 came out. Yet the iPhone 5 is also too big for me; the iPhone 4 was the optimal size. I want a device that can fit in a standard shirt breast pocket and which I can hold and operate entirely with one hand. That's the iPhone 4 form factor. The iPhone 5 form factor is barely acceptable on that account. If Apple comes out with a new 4-inch phone, I'll buy it.

This is exactly what I did. I love the 5S. I do wish it had ?Pay, but since only half of the major retailers will support it by the end of this year, I can certainly afford to wait until even next Summer to upgrade. I also agree the 5S is just a tad too big. It's funny I was just using my 3GS this morning to pull up some info off an app that isn't supported under iOS8 anymore, and realized just how perfect that phone is to hold in the hand -- I can reach all the controls with ease and use it deftly with one hand. However, I also realized I've gotten used to the 4" 5S screen and think I would miss it going back to the 3.5" screen. The good news is, I think Apple can strike a happy medium between the 5S & 4S and squeeze the 4" screen into smaller dimensions than the 5S. But I think you're confused, the article is about a 4" screen, not the size of the iPhone 4. It will still be around the size of the 5S, but hopefully a little smaller. I was about to say Apple will never go back to the 3.5" 4S screen, but if the rumors that iOS9 is going to support the 4S, then anything is possible -- I would just be surprised if they did it.

• Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The iPhone 6 is too large for me to use one-handed, so I won't replace my iPhone 5S until Apple release a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay.

There's something called "Reachability"

• Reply 18 of 41
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

There's something called "Reachability"

Wrong direction.  I cannot reach _across_ the screen of the iPhone 6, let alone up and down it.

• Reply 19 of 41

The original iPhone was 3.5. iPhone 5 went to 4". They aren't going back to 3.5 so you'll still end up with 4" which in your case is better than nothing I suppose. I have iPhone 6 but still have my 4s as a music player. Loved that form factor.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

People who don't use their iPhone for its purpose...why are they buying an iPhone?

The bigger screens aren't just for "browsing" and "video streaming".

From recent data, it shows the current users holding iphone 4"(5s, 5), 3.6"(4s,4,3s) are over 200 millions. So, do you think all these people are not using iphone for it's intended purpose ? My college level daughter and son both prefer 4" iphone and my wife and my Dad prefers 3.6 4s iPhone.  I am sure there are plenty in world who uses iphone for it's intended purpose and still prefers smaller screen iphone.I like larger screen phone so I bought LG optimus G e970 before iphone 6 came out.