UK's Barclays in 'constructive' talks to add Apple Pay support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Responding to a flurry of public complaints, U.K. bank Barclays said on Twitter that it is in negotiations to add Apple Pay support, and that efforts "remain constructive."




"We can assure you that we've been talking with Apple about how our customers could use Apple Pay in addition to our existing mobile and payment services, and that these talks remain constructive," the company said in an official statement. Some people messaging the Barclays Twitter account were threatening to leave the bank if it didn't add Apple Pay, which is coming to the U.K. in July.

The company was the only major bank in the region omitted from an Apple announcement on Monday. Some other early participants will include HSBC, NatWest, Santander, Ulster Bank, and the Royal Bank of Scotland. More are already lined up for the rest of 2015, such as Halifax and Lloyds.

A number of merchants are already on board as well, among them Boots and Marks & Spencer. Londonites will crucially be able to use Apple Pay within the city's public transportation network.

Since Apple Pay's launch in October 2014, Apple has been working to expand the platform as rapidly as possible. There are now over 300 supporting financial institutions in the U.S., and future expansions are also rumored for Canada and China. A recurring issue has been retail support, which has been limited mostly to major national and regional chains, with gaps present there in many cases.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Guess they were facing a real twitstorm.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pjwilkinpjwilkin Posts: 74member

    Barclays are going to loose customers if they don't have Apple Pay support come July

     

    I suspect Barclays are dickering about hoping they can delay things, or extract more favourable terms from Apple

  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

     

    Barclays are going to loose customers if they don't have Apple Pay support come July

     

    I suspect Barclays are dickering about hoping they can delay things, or extract more favourable terms from Apple




    I can almost guarantee it's more favorable terms they're after. They're a bank.

  • Reply 4 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member

    I can almost guarantee it's more favorable terms they're after. They're a bank.

    Hopefully they don't get what they want and Apple turn the screws tighter and they realize they have zero choice.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    And this is the bank that has an Apple Rewards Visa card.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,677member
    I for one will not carry any card that does support ApplePay. I will also avoid stores that don't support it.
  • Reply 7 of 15

    How will Apple Pay work on the London Underground? Will you be required to confirm the payment using Touch ID?

     

    If that's the case, it will be a terribly slow way to get through the barrier compared to an Oyster, Credit/Debit Card or regular ticket. Imagine what it will be like during rush hour with hundreds of people squashed behind you!

  • Reply 8 of 15
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

     

    Barclays are going to loose customers if they don't have Apple Pay support come July

     

    I suspect Barclays are dickering about hoping they can delay things, or extract more favourable terms from Apple




    I don't think so. There are probably bunch of stupid fat ass brass as in any big company that have initiated useless projects just to justify their positions. These projects were short sighted and are most probably clashing with Apple Pay. Because current aren't. Read: Apple Pay has rendered them useless and obsolete. Now they are probably trying to save they sorry asses by trying to negotiate with Apple to either include their miserable stuff or even to get some damage payments for which they manipulate with number of clients they have.

     

    Well, they can count me out. Official complaint is sent and if there isn't Apple Pay in July: bye suckers!!! 

  • Reply 9 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

     

    Barclays are going to loose customers if they don't have Apple Pay support come July

     

    I suspect Barclays are dickering about hoping they can delay things, or extract more favourable terms from Apple


    You meant "lose"? BTW, Barclays in US was on board with initial roll out of Apple Pay. I don't see any reason they will delay in UK.

  • Reply 10 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gizmo2k2k wrote: »
    How will Apple Pay work on the London Underground? Will you be required to confirm the payment using Touch ID?

    If that's the case, it will be a terribly slow way to get through the barrier compared to an Oyster, Credit/Debit Card or regular ticket. Imagine what it will be like during rush hour with hundreds of people squashed behind you!

    have you ever used AP? it's near instant you can pre-seed your thumb on the pad to initiate scanning, then hold it over the reader.

    even faster -- on Apple Watch double-press the side button, hold over the reader and its authorizes.

    theyre faster than cards.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    have you ever used AP? it's near instant you can pre-seed your thumb on the pad to initiate scanning, then hold it over the reader.



    even faster -- on Apple Watch double-press the side button, hold over the reader and its authorizes.



    theyre faster than cards.



    Still much slower than just tapping zero security Oyster card on TfL reader...

  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gizmo2k2k View Post

     

    How will Apple Pay work on the London Underground? Will you be required to confirm the payment using Touch ID?

     

    If that's the case, it will be a terribly slow way to get through the barrier compared to an Oyster, Credit/Debit Card or regular ticket. Imagine what it will be like during rush hour with hundreds of people squashed behind you!


     

     

    Typically RFC enabled credit cards have a low limit for simple swipes - that limit is usually more than any individual fare on the London Underground (or buses). I can't see why Apple Pay should have to work any differently. Besides, having used the Underground for many years, there are still plenty of people who get to the barriers and only then start fishing out their Oyster card from their coats, handbags, etc. I don't see the phone even with the necessity of a fingerprint scan being any worse than that.

  • Reply 13 of 15
    plovellplovell Posts: 818member
    I love the use of "constructive" as a substitute for "we're at Marble Arch, not Tyburn".

    The reality will set in soon enough.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 116member

    Barclays have spent money on things like PayTag that have had zero traction (probably because most sane people could instantly spot the potential for fraud and possibly mugging too) and are now watching Apple eat their lunch. Good.

  • Reply 15 of 15
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 116member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

     

     

     

    Typically RFC enabled credit cards have a low limit for simple swipes - that limit is usually more than any individual fare on the London Underground (or buses). I can't see why Apple Pay should have to work any differently. Besides, having used the Underground for many years, there are still plenty of people who get to the barriers and only then start fishing out their Oyster card from their coats, handbags, etc. I don't see the phone even with the necessity of a fingerprint scan being any worse than that.




    That limit is currently £20 rising to £30 in the autumn.  However a number of companies (including TfL) have said that they will not cap 'authorised' NFC transactions like Apple Pay.  I expect this to be the default situation over the next couple of years as card terminals are upgraded.

Sign In or Register to comment.