Apple supplies developers with new betas of iOS 8.4, OS X 10.10.4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
While the focus this week is on iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, those won't become available to the public until this fall. In the interim, Apple has new updates for iOS and OS X that remain in testing, patching bugs and issues for each platform.

The fourth beta of iOS 8.4 and the fifth beta of OS X 10.10.4 were both provided to developers on Tuesday, a day after iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 were formally announced. The new build of iOS 8.4 is identified as 12H4125a, while OS X 10.10.4 is build 14E33b.

Apple's iOS 8.4 features a revamped Music application that will presumably feature support for the upcoming Apple Music subscription service. Apple has said that Apple Music will debut on iOS devices, as well as iTunes for Mac and PC, on June 30, which might hint when iOS 8.4 will arrive.

The latest build of iOS 8.4 still has a number of known issues, Apple warned developers on Tuesday, Most of these are associated with the revamped Music app, including bugs that prevent AirPlay streaming, Home Sharing, Genius Mixes, and various issues with iTunes Radio.

While iOS 8.4 will feature a redesigned Music application, such major changes are not expected in OS X 10.10.4, which is expected to be largely for fixing various bugs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Wouldn't the issue with iTunes Radio be that Apple's killing it?

Though I haven't officially heard what they're doing with it...

• Reply 2 of 6
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Wouldn't the issue with iTunes Radio be that Apple's killing it?

Though I haven't officially heard what they're doing with it...

I wondered the same thing.  I occasionally use iTunes Radio and don't really want to pay for Music streaming, although the family deal isn't bad.  Not bad until I think that my kids aren't downloading albums every month as it stands, so paying $15 every month is a bit out of what we would normally spend just on music.

• Reply 3 of 6
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I wondered the same thing.  I occasionally use iTunes Radio and don't really want to pay for Music streaming, although the family deal isn't bad.  Not bad until I think that my kids aren't downloading albums every month as it stands, so paying $15 every month is a bit out of what we would normally spend just on music.

The radio service in Apple Music is still free, it's more than Beats 1, there's nineteen total channels to listen to, which is something. But I don't know what happens to iTR.

• Reply 4 of 6
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The radio service in Apple Music is still free, it's more than Beats 1, there's nineteen total channels to listen to, which is something. But I don't know what happens to iTR.

I have not yet had the time to dig into this, but will iT Radio survive as a free service?  I see that Radio is still on iTunes on El Capitan and iOS 9 beta, but they didn't really say whether it will be around, did they?

• Reply 5 of 6
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I have not yet had the time to dig into this, but will iT Radio survive as a free service?  I see that Radio is still on iTunes on El Capitan and iOS 9 beta, but they didn't really say whether it will be around, did they?

It looks like it does. There are curated stations just like iTR, and you can also create your own. That's still free according to Apple's site.

• Reply 6 of 6
    kouaichkouaich Posts: 1member

How do I get the IOS 8.4 Beta? I am not a dev but i did register for the beta program. Thx