Cadillac to support Apple CarPlay on 'majority' of upcoming 2016 cars

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
General Motors' Cadillac division on Tuesday announced that it will add support for Apple CarPlay to most of its 2016 vehicles, the first group of which will launch later this summer.




Shoppers should in fact be able to get CarPlay on any model with an 8-inch multi-touch screen, the one exception being the SRX Crossover. Cadillac is also promising to add Android Auto support, but only further into the 2016 production run.

To access either CarPlay or Android Auto, drivers will have to tap on a "Projection" icon on their screens. Apart from touch controls, people will also be able to trigger Siri or Android voice commands by hitting a button on their steering wheel.

During Monday's WWDC 2015 keynote, Apple announced several ehancements to CarPlay such as wireless connections, support for new screen sizes, and automaker-made apps capable of controlling in-car functions such as heating and air conditioning. Cadillac did not say how many of those improvements will be implemented into its lineup.

GM is making a major push into CarPlay and Android Auto this year. In May it announced plans to put the platforms on 14 Chevrolet models.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,108member

    Now that is one ugly, cheap, plastic-laden looking dash if I ever saw one... Just reinforces my view of domestic cars as complete trash.

  • Reply 2 of 18
    Would be great to see if any of the Apple blogs can come up with a list of cars that have CarPlay available out of the box
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,171member

    Most of, wow, all six models. Great work Cadillac, you've really outdone yourself this time. And it's not going to make it on the most popular model. Genius.

  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

     

    Most of, wow, all six models. Great work Cadillac, you've really outdone yourself this time. And it's not going to make it on the most popular model. Genius.




    And it's still the wired version that you have to connect via USB. Maybe we'll see the wireless CarPlay in 2017 or 2018 models.

  • Reply 5 of 18
    Hopefully it's wireless car play , I'm sure it would be nice for women to leave their phone in their purse and be able to have full functionality of it. Hopefully more cars will be added , I'm due for a new car in the next year or so .
  • Reply 6 of 18

    Wireless carplay was announced only yesterday. So, yes, it won't be before mid-2016 until you start seeing wireless CarPlay options

  • Reply 7 of 18

    Cadillac has been great the last 10 years and the latest models are awesome!!! Who ever said the dash is cheap plastic laden is just biased against domestic cars to justify buying some foreign brand. Gotta see it in person and is on par with German luxury cars. Also of course good to see GM adding latest tech but seems like the options will be either Car Play or Android head units. Will Cadi's with Car Play have better resale value? heh

  • Reply 8 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,432member

    Hideous! No wonder Jony is moving to the UK.

  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

     

    Also of course good to see GM adding latest tech but seems like the options will be either Car Play or Android head units. Will Cadi's with Car Play have better resale value? heh


     

    Pretty sure the one system will support both CarPlay and Android Auto. The way I read it is that CarPlay support will come first, but Android Auto support will be added (to the same system) later in the year. Hopefully the owner can upgrade that themselves.

  • Reply 10 of 18
    gordygordy Posts: 970member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

     

    Cadillac has been great the last 10 years and the latest models are awesome!!! Who ever said the dash is cheap plastic laden is just biased against domestic cars to justify buying some foreign brand. Gotta see it in person and is on par with German luxury cars. Also of course good to see GM adding latest tech but seems like the options will be either Car Play or Android head units. Will Cadi's with Car Play have better resale value? heh


    Ditto, former STS & current SRX owner here with no complaints at all.

  • Reply 11 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,816member
    Pretty sure the one system will support both CarPlay and Android Auto. The way I read it is that CarPlay support will come first, but Android Auto support will be added (to the same system) later in the year. Hopefully the owner can upgrade that themselves.
    If it's similar to the already available Hyundai version it's a simple software update from the manufacturer. Hyundai even announced that a consumer will be able to do the system update themselves via flashdrive later this year rather than having to visit the dealership.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

    I recently rented a Malibu for two weeks.

    It's dash sure looked like the one shown,

      but the center panel display looked very different and messy.  Must be MS's !

  • Reply 13 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 18,894member

    Kudos to cadillac!

     

    I wish more models from more European automakers offered CarPlay for 2016 US models. The only one I am aware of that is fully committed is Volvo's new XC90. Audi's website says that "Audi has indicated that CarPlay will be available on some all-new Audi models arriving in U.S. showrooms by 2016." BMW has nothing in its 2016 lineup, afaik. I've been unable to find any concrete information in either the Jaguar or Mercedes websites.

     

    The rollout is a bit disappointing, frankly.

  • Reply 14 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    calvinbhai wrote: »
    Wireless carplay was announced only yesterday. So, yes, it won't be before mid-2016 until you start seeing wireless CarPlay options

    sort of. Apple announced wireless last year when they announced CarPlay in iOS 8, but they revoked it. so surely it's been in the works...so hopefully it wont take aftermarket head units much time to implement it.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     

    Kudos to cadillac!

     

    I wish more models from more European automakers offered CarPlay for 2016 US models. The only one I am aware of that is fully committed is Volvo's new XC90. Audi's website says that "Audi has indicated that CarPlay will be available on some all-new Audi models arriving in U.S. showrooms by 2016." BMW has nothing in its 2016 lineup, afaik. I've been unable to find any concrete information in either the Jaguar or Mercedes websites.

     

    The rollout is a bit disappointing, frankly.


     Although some European cars interest me and are great highway driving cars, they have a problem in their lack of full sized spare capability.  Run flats and compact spares are not suitable for our long distance highway driving, particularly after prime time and on week ends when there is no tire service available.  OK for urban driving only, where their great highway capability is not used.

     Regarding spare tires, many cars are now being  delivered with patch kits, which are next to useless. Many highway flats, particularly are at night, are from running over junk and the tires become not patchable junk. Patch Kits should be outlawed !!!

     * So be sure you know what is in that spare tire well. A few of my friends have been quite surprised and spent hours waiting on the highway at night to be picked up.

     If only they would make compact spares strong enough for  100/1,000 metric   (60/600 imperial) with an all weather tread,

    they would be passable. At least they now are close to the outside diameter of the mounted tires.

     

    Interestingly a German make which started the use of compact spares, now has full sized spare capability.  I wonder what happens to all those compact spares that are removed.

    That German company makes many cars in the SE USA, as do BMW and Mercedes.

  • Reply 16 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 18,894member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

     

     Although some European cars interest me and are great highway driving cars, they have a problem in their lack of full sized spare capability.  Run flats and compact spares are not suitable for our long distance highway driving, particularly after prime time and on week ends when there is no tire service available.  OK for urban driving only, where their great highway capability is not used.

     Regarding spare tires, many cars are now being  delivered with patch kits, which are next to useless. Many highway flats, particularly are at night, are from running over junk and the tires become not patchable junk. Patch Kits should be outlawed !!!

     * So be sure you know what is in that spare tire well. A few of my friends have been quite surprised and spent hours waiting on the highway at night to be picked up.

     If only they would make compact spares strong enough for  100/1,000 metric   (60/600 imperial) with an all weather tread,

    they would be passable. At least they now are close to the outside diameter of the mounted tires.

     

    Interestingly a German make which started the use of compact spares, now has full sized spare capability.  I wonder what happens to all those compact spares that are removed.

    That German company makes many cars in the SE USA, as do BMW and Mercedes.


    Your experience with run-flats is somewhat anecdotal. For instance, the last two cars I've owned are BMWs with run-flats. Never had an issue, and pretty much every tire service fixes run flats.

     

    In the last three decades of car ownership, I've had a flat exactly once. So it is most certainly not a reason to not choose a European vehicle (btw, many of which are now made in the US).

     

    But all that's anecdotal too.

  • Reply 17 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    josha wrote: »
     
    Your experience with run-flats is somewhat anecdotal. For instance, the last two cars I've owned are BMWs with run-flats. Never had an issue, and pretty much every tire service fixes run flats.

    In the last three decades of car ownership, I've had a flat exactly once. So it is most certainly not a reason to not choose a European vehicle (btw, many of which are now made in the US).

    But all that's anecdotal too.

    My experience with flats is real, every few years. Obviously I drive in tougher conditions, both winter and summer.
    Winter now has another problem in the CDN Prov I live, winter tires are necessary. All seasons are no longer acceptable, for ALL passenger vehicles.

    I see many BMWs in the winter which have slid off the road and are going no where, obviously the wrong tire tread.
    That's 2WD or 4WD, little difference and both in the city and on the highway. I can't imagine what the cost of a set of run flat winter tires cost, if they are even available here.
    Fortunately very few of the many BMWs or Mercedes here are seen at the ski hills.

    I've read that if you go any distance on run flats they aren't repairable and even the rim may need replacement.
    That's called the $1,500 flat !

    The main problem here is hitting road junk in the night or in snow; tire not repairable in most cases.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    bk0781bk0781 Posts: 1member
    For those that say its a cheap mess the car in the pic is a v series cadillac. Its supposed to be all blacked out. The interior quality is anything but cheap even compared to my mercedes ill take the new caddys anyday. Ive owned two cts' in the last 8 years and they were awesome.
Sign In or Register to comment.