So to criticize Apple is a reason for banning/suspension?

Posted:
in Feedback edited June 2015

Just asking politely - is the act of criticizing Apple or some of its policies/management decisions now a reason for banning/suspension?

 

As a longtime Apple customer, I am not at all happy with some or most of Mr Cook's decisions - now are we to understand that AI requires a conformist/apologetic view all over the place?

 

Thanks for clarifying.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,539moderator
    brlawyer wrote: »
    As a longtime Apple customer, I am not at all happy with some or most of Mr Cook's decisions

    If you make the same comments in multiple threads that have nothing to do with that topic then you are being a nuisance poster. You mentioned you were banned from Macrumors for doing this:

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161575/going-out-with-a-bang-my-good-riddance-message-to-macrumors

    There's a saying about doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. You usually get enough chances to change here (much to other people's frustration who would prefer instant permabans) but eventually you run out of chances.

    If venting about something you don't like is going to be constructive to a discussion then it's ok, otherwise don't add it, especially don't add it at every opportunity.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post





    If you make the same comments in multiple threads that have nothing to do with that topic then you are being a nuisance poster. You mentioned you were banned from Macrumors for doing this:



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161575/going-out-with-a-bang-my-good-riddance-message-to-macrumors



    There's a saying about doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. You usually get enough chances to change here (much to other people's frustration who would prefer instant permabans) but eventually you run out of chances.



    If venting about something you don't like is going to be constructive to a discussion then it's ok, otherwise don't add it, especially don't add it at every opportunity.



    Sorry, but my decision to leave MacRumors had nothing to do with being an "nuisance poster" - the point I am trying to make is the following:

     

    - I do not agree with Cook's most recent decisions concerning the AWatch, divident distribution, Beats purchase as well as his pathetic handling of recent launches as far as the supply chain is concerned;

     

    - However, I am always excited to hear about new Macs (regardless of the fact that such news are seldom seen these days), OS X and so on, and have only used Apple devices for the last 20 years.

     

    But you will NOT see me praising the AWatch for the simple reason that I do not agree with its premise - does this mean I am not allowed to post my opposition against it? What about moderation standards concerning other users who love to call me and others offensive names, even when no personal attacks have been made? Are they suspended as well?

     

    Thanks again for taking the time to clarify this.

  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,539moderator
    brlawyer wrote: »
    the point I am trying to make is the following:

    - I do not agree with Cook's most recent decisions concerning the AWatch, divident distribution, Beats purchase as well as his pathetic handling of recent launches as far as the supply chain is concerned;

    - However, I am always excited to hear about new Macs (regardless of the fact that such news are seldom seen these days), OS X and so on, and have only used Apple devices for the last 20 years.

    The constructive route to take then would be to post your excitement in Mac threads, which you don't seem to be doing much of, rather than posting all the negatives in threads you don't care for. Stating a negative once or twice is enough for people to know how you feel.

    The Mac forums are:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/4/current-mac-hardware
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/3/future-apple-hardware
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/5/mac-software
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/6/mac-os-x
    brlawyer wrote: »
    But you will NOT see me praising the AWatch for the simple reason that I do not agree with its premise - does this mean I am not allowed to post my opposition against it?

    The opposition you've added in previous posts hasn't been constructive to the discussions. You've said you don't like the Watch, Beats, Tim Cook etc numerous times, people have heard it, there's nothing more for you to say.

    If you make a comment that's destructive to a discussion e.g off-topic, it'll typically just be removed. Do it often and it shows you're trying to be disruptive.

    Apple has made a watch and they will continue making it. They spent a lot of money on Beats, that deal is completed. They are also subject to Intel's release schedule for Macs. That's just how it is.
    brlawyer wrote: »
    What about moderation standards concerning other users who love to call me and others offensive names, even when no personal attacks have been made? Are they suspended as well?

    If your post is disruptive in the first place then the posts are all removed. The responders get infractions if their responses are excessive, enough of those will lead to a suspension. Usually people who ask this aim to continue to make disruptive posts, annoy people they don't like and try to get them banned. Moderation is to maintain healthy discussion and if your posts cause the disruption then that's where the fault lies.

    It's quite straightforward to avoid getting infractions:

    - never insult another forum member
    - don't try to introduce rants or off-topic discussion into threads where they don't belong

    If you ever make a post where you see those things happening, don't post it.
Sign In or Register to comment.