What a day!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Both my SlowSilver (tm) and my Athlon PC DIE today.

Took both of them to repair centre. Technician reported the G4 had a dead logic board and while the PC had a dead power supply and motherboard

The G4 of course is under warranty but the PC isn't so I have to basically pay for a new motherboard and the power supply.

This is the first time ever in my life that I have both machines die at the same hour. Holy f*ck :eek:

Both Mac and PC suck

Now I am stuck with my little iBook. Hope it won't die on me now.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Sorry to hear about your PC and Mac. Though it might not be your computers. Make sure your PC and Mac are hooked up to surge protectors. I had a lot of friends fry their computers by neglecting to protect their computers from faulty electric outlets.

Make sure they are GOOD surge protectors. Also don't hook up both computers to one surge protector-->electric outlet. You want to use a separate outlet for each computer/monitor.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    This is the one I am using. Very heavy duty

• Reply 3 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Sorry to hear about your problems Leonis. That's weird though that they both died around the same time.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    It's always a good idea to connect everything thats hooked up to your comp to a surge protector...everything going to mine, phone line, stereo, comp itselft, etc. goes through a surge protector.

That really sucks that they both died...

Is your phone/cable line protected?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Or did you adopt a half-dozen longhaired cats a month ago?

It seems like there has to be something else that killed them - two simultaneous motherboard failures on new machines is fishy. (Do you have a pet fish? Aha!)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Or did you adopt a half-dozen longhaired cats a month ago?

It seems like there has to be something else that killed them - two simultaneous motherboard failures on new machines is fishy. (Do you have a pet fish? Aha!) </strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it had to do with the alignment of the planets. You know what happens when mars, jupiter and the fourth moon of saturn align, don't you? Miss Cleo told me that it brings bad things.

That and UFO landings.

Back when I used to do some computer servicing, they called these "CIP's." It means Crack Induced Problem. Those sort of things that spring up out of nowhere to bite ya.

I didn't invent the term. It actually seems pretty non-indicative to me.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    That was nasty. We had a lightning strike come through the phone line last year. It took out the ADSL modem and the Asante Router/switch but fortunately didn't damage the computers.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    When I was working as a tech a few years back, I remember getting off work one day and driving home in a nasty electrical storm.

The next day about 40 iMacs were checked into the shop with fried modems, and more slowly trickled in throughout the week. People always forget to surge protect phone lines...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I think it is just conincidence.

There have been threads about "dead" Dual Gigger in the Apple Discussion board. Many people (including myself) have been stuck by unable to reboot after one big crash. Some of them was told by the technician that the logic board was faulty...same as mine case.

As for my Dual Athlon....can't say much since it's my friend's and all I know is that he always uses cheap parts.

But this concidence didn't help me on lottery, unfortunately
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Got the PC yesterday and the G4 back this evening.

The G4's breakdown wasn't caused by the motherboard. It was the processor card...overheated to death :eek:

Now it's my monitor's turn. Faulty deflection board. Will take it to repair shop tomorrow...