Mickey Drexler resigns as GAP CEO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Did anybody else notice that Mickey Drexler resigned as CEO of the GAP last night (Tuesday)? There's an <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/22/business/22CND-GAP.html"; target="_blank">article in the NY Times</a> that gives some more detail.

Obviously this doesn't affect his position on Apple's board directly. He still has the retail experience that helped launch the Apple Stores.

Could you guys see Drexler as an Apple executive? Even though he has no computer background, I could even see him replace Jobs a few years down the road.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>Could you guys see Drexler as an Apple executive? Even though he has no computer background, I could even see him replace Jobs a few years down the road.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sure hope not, given what's happened to the Gap.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They might switch places. :eek:
  • Reply 3 of 10
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    He's into clothes, not computers. Interestingly this is the second go around for him at The Gap. He left about 5 years ago and then returned for his latest stint. Retail clothing is a tough business.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, both companies sell products that are over-priced, and quality is sometimes suspect... could happen.

&lt;zips up flame retardant suit&gt;

• Reply 5 of 10
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    And going around Apple Stores and moving iMacs is almost as much fun as unfolding clothes in the Gap...

I'll take Drexler over Ellison any day, though.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Ever since Gap split into ON/Gap/BR, the quality of the Gap has really gone down (design quality.. actual quality was always suspect..)

-robo
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bryan furybryan fury Posts: 169member
    ..i guess the next imac will be available in khaki...

urrgh.

Sony - PLEASE Buy Apple.!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Eh, Banana Republic is still a bit more expensive than I'm willing to pay for tees, shirts and pants. GAP is a good middle ground for clothes that don't get in the way. I've recently started purchasing A&F stuff (before the two controversies sprung up.) A&F stuff is neat looking but much less 'functional.'

Old Navy stuff just looks silly.

And Structure? Er...no...

For the most part I still just wear freebie logo t-shirts left over from the tech boom...or surfer t-shirts...QuickSilver, Gotcha, etc...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    And Ron Johnson's doing just fine as the VP of Retail. Don't see a reason to slip in Drexler...and I don't see Drexler filling any other position.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fischerfischer Posts: 35member
    Drexler ---&gt; Apple

Jobs ---&gt; Disney :eek: :eek: :eek: