Greek capital controls put squeeze on iCloud, iTunes, App Store subscriptions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sorry, but do you actually have a reputable source for that story? I Googled it, and all I got were either tabloid sites or ultra right wing blogs like Newsmax. 

You can’t deny a statement because you don’t like the source. The first link therein is directly from the government. Table III-C is what we’re after, I think. That’s the debt as of June 26. And here’s a link to the same thing for March 13. Exact same debt, despite obvious spending overages.

• Reply 22 of 25
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    ireland wrote: »
    The EU and Eurozone is a joke. Greece will hopefully be the first of a long line of countries to break up this power-grabbing sham. Ireland has gotten completely f******* by Europe.

Truth! Here in Germany the populace would be dancing in the streets.

Allowing Greece to be included in the initial Euro Zone was questioned repeatedly by everyone, including the media, politicians and assorted economic scholars.

So this comes as no surprise and many thought it would happen far earlier.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Brilliant, Rand Paul and Ron Paul, Dumb and Dumber. I wouldn't put them in charge of replacing the urinal cakes in my office. Good thing neither of them will ever get near to hold public office outside of some garbage state nobody cares about.

^^^ Fitting since you seem to be always taking a p*ss at your desk and keyboard every time you post here ^^^

* Not showing support for Peter, Paul, (Ron) or Mary here.
  • Reply 24 of 25

The Greeks were screwed by a combination of facts.

- First, their leaders reporting incorrect numbers, either by guile or incompetence.
    - Second, American banks "helping" them out with creative accounting and advanced baking techniques, among which derivatives.
    - Third, Germany and France using the exact same practices, and being therefore very unmotivated to call their Greek colleagues out on that.
    - Fourth, "austerity" practices imposed by the anglo-saxon world (e.g., America and the UK), which multiplied Greek debt by two. 
    - Five, and that one is vicious, an American-led ideology calling for the privatisation of the public sectors of health, energy, and other critical sectors, which is entirely incompatible with the existing law and social systems in most of Europe (and is the never-called-out main reason for our current woes).
    - Six, non-negligible levels of corruption and cheating, but however this one must be taken lightly, since independent audits seem to show similar levels of cheating in France, Germany and the USA, albeit at higher levels in society. (That one is, to me, very interesting...)
    - Last but not least, where is the money? It would seem a lot of money was channeled into American weapons, American financial systems, and German-French industry (for example, during the creation of massive and useless sports architecture).

The People of Greece here are probably just like the French, the Germans, or the Americans: screwed over by extremely rich, extremely dishonest people.

Fun fact by the way: Greece was of no concern until the Greek Prime Minister decided to tell the truth about the state of the country he had just gotten the reins of, causing a massive backlash of American notation agencies (which calls both the competence of said agencies, and the wiseness of telling the truth as a political, into question....). In other words, while the 6 previous causes are the root causes, the outlying causes are American notation agencies incompetence and American ideologies of austerity and privatization.

Whenever I see Americans (or, to be fair, British, French, or Germans) being all riled up after the Greeks, rather than after the system that will f**k them too when their turn comes, I feel sad for us all.

Actually... I should "big and bold" your entire post!

I don't often agree with you on anything.... but you nailed it this time!
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I'd love to see the Fed shut down permanently. If Rand Paul gets elected, it would be awesome for him to put Ron Paul in charge of the Fed so he could end it.

Plus... term limits. We need those across the board in Washington.

Never happen. The Fed is a private bank and it's directors and head are chosen from within, not the government.