Stevie Shows Wynton His iPod

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Paste-y.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    for those too lazy to register ;-)

How did STEVIE WONDER and WYNTON MARSALIS get to the front of the Apollo Theater for their red-carpet entrance before Jazz at Lincoln Center's benefit on Monday? By going out the back door and having Mr. Wonder's driver take them around the block ? a 15-minute trip, it turned out, because they were caught in the limousine gridlock on 125th Street. All the nonperforming celebrities were busy making their entrances, too.

Mr. Wonder used the time they were inching through the traffic to demonstrate his Macintosh iPod portable music player for Mr. Marsalis. "Of course, then Stevie gave me the iPod to hold onto ? they didn't have any place to put it when they were walking the red carpet," said ASHLEY R. SCHIFF, the chairwoman of Jazz at Lincoln Center's Jazz Associates Committee, who had been in Mr. Wonder's sport utility vehicle with them. "Throughout the whole evening, I was worried, because I didn't know how to turn it off and then I would be responsible for running out the batteries in Stevie Wonder's iPod."

Once the concert began, Mr. Wonder not only played the piano as Mr. Marsalis's septet performed John Coltrane's "Giant Steps," he also led the crowd in a jazzed-up version of his own hit, "Living for the City." The concert also featured SAVION GLOVER in a dance piece to music by Mr. Marsalis, and solos by SIR ROLAND HANNA and VANESSA WILLIAMS. WHOOPI GOLDBERG was the M.C. In the audience were DEBORAH ROBERTS and her husband, AL ROKER; ANGELA BASSETT; SUE SIMMONS; BOBBY SHORT; RICHARD D. PARSONS, the chief executive of AOL Time Warner; CHEVY CHASE, who was a guest auctioneer at an auction after the concert; and PETER JENNINGS, whose $10,000 bid earned him breakfast with Mr. Wonder.