Apple Pay comes to 23 more US banks, sees early signs of UK support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member

Nope. It's the banks themselves and their powerful lobbying influence on friends in high places (aka Harper and his cronies). They are furious that Apple wants to hide personal and marketable (and valuable) transaction details from them in a tokenised and anonymised payment method. Really mad. They don't want to lose this control over customer data and will drag their heels as long as possible, whining to their friends in government to not allow this. Fucking Canadian banks, they're almost as bad as the Rogers/Bell duopoly we have here, reaming us on cell phone rates.

• Reply 22 of 29
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Great to see the penetration rolling along apace.

Meanwhile, actually out in the field, a local McDonald's failed to provide me the service effectively twice in a row...

This is almost as awful as admitting I was at a McDonald's twice, recently.

How did it fail? I've used it often with McDs (and others) with great success.

As have I on other occasions at other locations.  

The first time I got a buzz but a "try again".  They had to call a manager to try to "reboot" their handheld, by which time I was handing them cash.  The second time, their was simply no response from their device at all.

I should admit that, in the 45 years I've lived near this McD's, they've screwed up 40% of my orders, so user error is probable.

But that was really my point - that the challenge is still education, both about features and functionality.

• Reply 23 of 29
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's absolutely absurd, and I blame Canadian banks, as Canada is an obvious Apple Pay target for Apple, and I don't imagine they haven't put effort into it.  I see no reason why the UK should get Apple pay support before Canada. 

And why should Canada get it before UK? Because you say so?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    boredumb wrote: »
    The first time I got a buzz but a "try again".  They had to call a manager to try to "reboot" their handheld, by which time I was handing them cash.  The second time, their was simply no response from their device at all.
    I should admit that, in the 45 years I've lived near this McD's, they've screwed up 40% of my orders, so user error is probable.
    But that was really my point - that the challenge is still education, both about features and functionality.

That sucks. McDonald's historically is very good about keeping their stores efficient and productive, even if the are franchises, but I know what you mean. There was one McDonald's in very low socio-economic neighborhood very conveniently off the highway that I would never go to because it was so bad. I mean like waiting 30 minutes when there are only 2 or 3 cars ahead of you in the drive-thru. Perhaps it was a fluke — since it's hard to imagine any fast food restaurant staying in business with such poor service — but it happened enough times that the odds are it was commonly slow, with wrong orders and overall bad service.

Did you see that Los Angeles McDonalds have moved to person-less kiosks for your orders and payments? The article's headline made it seem like it was an answer to the $15/hr minimum wage suggestion, but I didn't read the article to find out how much of that was accurate.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

That sucks. McDonald's historically is very good about keeping their stores efficient and productive, even if the are franchises, but I know what you mean. There was one McDonald's in very low socio-economic neighborhood very conveniently off the highway that I would never go to because it was so bad. I mean like waiting 30 minutes when there are only 2 or 3 cars ahead of you in the drive-thru. Perhaps it was a fluke — since it's hard to imagine any fast food restaurant staying in business with such poor service — but it happened enough times that the odds are it was commonly slow, with wrong orders and overall bad service.

Did you see that Los Angeles McDonalds have moved to person-less kiosks for your orders and payments? The article's headline made it seem like it was an answer to the $15/hr minimum wage suggestion, but I didn't read the article to find out how much of that was accurate.

Was it this place?

• Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Was it this place?

lol - no, that's clearly a subway...didn't even know they had drive-thru's.

I will agree that fast-food is generally a lethal weapon...

But how did Pesci ever become famous with that voice?!??! 

• Reply 27 of 29

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

No, I hadn't seen that, but, although I live fairly near to LA, the chances of my sleepy little burg receiving

or utilizing anything very advanced (?Pay may be the only example) is pretty minimal (average voter age is about 87).

We may be the only town ever to shutter an Applebee's (not using them as an example of 'advanced', btw),

which should tell you where I live, if you're better than I at internet research.

Which is also why I have to explain ?Pay everywhere I go, and even the young ones don't seem to 'get it'.

(And heaven forbid people should live decently if that's all the work they can get.)

• Reply 28 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    First National Bank... of where?

First National Bank of Bank?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But how did Pesci <em style="line-height:1.4em;">ever</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">become famous with that voice?!??! </span>

Being from the NY area, and being in Robert Deniro's camp helped immensely.