First look: Hands on with the new Phantom 3 Professional iOS-connected camera drone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
DJI's new Phantom 3 Professional flying camera drone has a distinctly more premium feel when compared to its predecessor, thanks largely to an overhauled hardware controller that's a massive improvement to what was already a great accessory. AppleInsider offers a first look.

The new Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter looks largely the same as its predecessors, aside from some new gold trim intended to make it stand out from the lower-end model. But the star of the show on the drone itself is the all-new 4K video camera, capable of capturing super smooth, ultra-high resolution video footage from the skies.

The 4K camera is attached to the same style of gimbal found on the previous-generation Phantom 2 Vision+. But the lens on the new camera is larger, though the camera unit itself remains relatively small.

The rest of the upgrades to the drone itself are internal. The device has an improved 23 minutes of flying time, it's faster, and it also includes a vision sensor for indoor flight.

Right out of the box, though, the most obvious upgrades are to the physical controller.

We liked the previous DJI controller, and said so in our reviews. Having a physical controller is ideal for a relatively expensive flying camera, as opposed to touchscreen controls used by some other models.

But the new controller for the Phantom 3 has been overhauled in a big way. Up top, the clip is much larger and more robust, capable of holding a full-size iPad. A pair of extending arms also allow smaller devices, like an iPhone, to be securely snapped onto the mount.

The sides and back of the transmitter have been outfitted with rubberized, comfortable grips. There are also hardware buttons for easily recording footage and bookmarking segments, making it so a user no longer needs to take their thumbs off of the control sticks to touch the screen on their iPhone or iPad.

Around back, there's also a full-size USB port where a user can plug in a Lightning cable to connect to their iPhone and iPad. This bypasses the Wi-Fi connection process -- and thus, the entire Wi-Fi boosting hardware module that was connected to previous generation controllers.

All of this supports new 720p high-definition app-based monitoring from the drone's camera, ensuring users can see everything crystal clear while the Phantom 3 is in flight. DJI says the 720p video monitoring is supported at a line-of-sight range of 1.2 miles.

AppleInsider will have much more in our full review of the DJI Phantom 3 Professional in the coming weeks. It's available for $1,259 from partner B&H with free expedited shipping.

The entry-level Phantom 3 is expected to become available soon, priced at $999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I'd love to get one of these. I'm just afraid I'd crash it on day one.

• Reply 2 of 18
    My Phantom 3 professional was flying for about 2 seconds before it dropped out of the sky (i.e. from 2ft) and was toast afterwards. Sent in for repair 2 months ago (!!) and still waiting for the unit to be processed. Calling them will send you in a waiting line for at least 20min ever single time

This company has the most horrendous customer support and if your drone should need repairs, it will it will take at least 2 months before you have it back. Just for those who are considering to buy one of them 1.4 k$ pieces...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhangart View Post

My Phantom 3 professional was flying for about 2 seconds before it dropped out of the sky (i.e. from 2ft) and was toast afterwards. Sent in for repair 2 months ago (!!) and still waiting for the unit to be processed. Calling them will send you in a waiting line for at least 20min ever single time

This company has the most horrendous customer support and if your drone should need repairs, it will it will take at least 2 months before you have it back. Just for those who are considering to buy one of them 1.4 k$ pieces...

Hmmm... Single post.  Possible astroturfer?

No offence but I'm skeptical about reviews (positive or negative) when the person has just joined a site for the specific purpose of posting that review... 

• Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

No offence but I'm skeptical about reviews (positive or negative) when the person has just joined a site for the specific purpose of posting that review... 

I read the reviews on B&H and there are some similar comments from verified buyers. There are also many positive reviews there as well.

• Reply 5 of 18
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    I can concur the earlier review on support, they are horrid. The drone is great, but lower gimble mech is delicate, a hard landing will destroy it, and they are expensive and hard to find. I called, emailed, posted, etc, never got a response from them.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

I wonder if AI looked at the shrink wrap license to see if it had terms involving disparagement in reviews. There is at least one company that does that:

http://www.businessinsider.com/kleargear-faces-lawsuit-after-fining-couple-for-negative-review-2013-12?op=1

YMMV...

• Reply 7 of 18
    lhangartlhangart Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

@ krreagan: no idea what an astrosurfer is :-) Been reading the site for 5 years now and signed up because I wanted to warn potential buyers about the absolutely unacceptable customer service of DJI in the US.

Believe me, I am not taking out the torches and pitchforks easily but it is so maddening what they are pulling off that I decided to bother enough to sign up and spread the warning. If it was for a 80$ drone, I would not care but they took 1.4$ from me in April, and I am still waiting for a functional product. Hope you understand why i did go all the length with signing up and writing a comment. Please find my repair history enclosed in the pic below.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lhangart View Post

@ krreagan: no idea what an astrosurfer is :-) Been reading the site for 5 years now and signed up because I wanted to warn potential buyers about the absolutely unacceptable customer service of DJI in the US.

Believe me, I am not taking out the torches and pitchforks easily but it is so maddening what they are pulling off that I decided to bother enough to sign up and spread the warning. If it was for a 80$ drone, I would not care but they took 1.4$ from me in April, and I am still waiting for a functional product. Hope you understand why i did go all the length with signing up and writing a comment. Please find my repair history enclosed in the pic below.

I thank you for doing so - i have yet to buy a drone - but have been thinking about it for a while - i dont want to spend that much but  do want really decent quality video. Any drone, by its nature is likely to suffer damage, and this is an item where customer service and spare parts are much more important than for products that stay on the desk. 

• Reply 9 of 18

Check this one out, it has a gimbal too and only sets you back by 200$.

• Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Any drone, by its nature is likely to suffer damage, and this is an item where customer service and spare parts are much more important than for products that stay on the desk. 

I'm seriously considering this model. I checked B&H and they have hundreds of spare parts for all the previous models. Every nut, screw, wire and even the stickers. You could build the entire drone from their spare parts. The Phantom 3 Pro is new so they don't have any parts yet, but I'm guessing they will soon.

• Reply 11 of 18

In my case, the gyros were gone. Plus, DIY repair void the warranty. 

• Reply 12 of 18

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/

I found out my entire city is a no-fly zone due to the airport.

• Reply 13 of 18
    I know the support for the phantoms is not very good, but I've had 4 and have not had any issues. Plus, having one of these quad copters drop form 2ft is not high enough to do any real damage that would require it to be sent back. I've dropped mine several times for one reason or another but no damage that wasn't fixable on the spot.

The DJI support does blow, but as long as you are doing your firmware updates, calibrate your compus whenever you travel further than 20 miles from your last calibration and you really shouldn't have any issues. I have hundreds of hours on these (Phantoms%u2019) at this time and have not had any systems fail during flight.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I know the support for the phantoms is not very good, but I've had 4 and have not had any issues. Plus, having one of these quad copters drop form 2ft is not high enough to do any real damage that would require it to be sent back. I've dropped mine several times for one reason or another but no damage that wasn't fixable on the spot.

The DJI support does blow, but as long as you are doing your firmware updates, calibrate your compus whenever you travel further than 20 miles from your last calibration and you really shouldn't have any issues. I have hundreds of hours on these (Phantoms%u2019) at this time and have not had any systems fail during flight.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

I thank you for doing so - i have yet to buy a drone - but have been thinking about it for a while - i dont want to spend that much but  do want really decent quality video. Any drone, by its nature is likely to suffer damage, and this is an item where customer service and spare parts are much more important than for products that stay on the desk. 

I spoke with a friend who is into model aircraft.  He said if I wanted a quadcopter, get a cheap one to play with first to learn the basics then shoot for something more expensive.  He said they recommend this Syma one to get started...

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=toys-and-games&field-keywords=Syma+X5C+4+Channel+2.4GHz+RC+Explorers+Quad+Copter+Drone+with+Camera

• Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I spoke with a friend who is into model aircraft.  He said if I wanted a quadcopter, get a cheap one to play with first to learn the basics then shoot for something more expensive.  He said they recommend this Syma one to get started...

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=toys-and-games&field-keywords=Syma+X5C+4+Channel+2.4GHz+RC+Explorers+Quad+Copter+Drone+with+Camera

hey - thanks for this, after stone comment, i thought i would hold off until BH have parts for this new one. I may order your friends suggestion - i have kids - they can always use it afterwards

• Reply 17 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

hey - thanks for this, after stone comment, i thought i would hold off until BH have parts for this new one. I may order your friends suggestion - i have kids - they can always use it afterwards

You can boost the range with a modification to the controller.  Youtube has lots of videos on it.

• Reply 18 of 18

All these things are true about the Phantom drones:

They are amazing technology that work incredibly well (for the vast majority of owners).

They are great value. It's a 4K motion stabilized flying camera for $1250.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is one of the fastest ways to blow $1250.

They have horrible customer support and have the Chinese attitude that the customer is always screwed.

They have technical issues and bugs that requires regular reading of their user forums to know what software versions to install.

If you are not careful, the high speed blades could injure you or someone else.

They are top heavy and like to tip over when landing (air catching is best but see above).

My Phantom 2 Vision + was one of the best purchases of my life and I will be getting a P3 Pro once all the bugs are worked out.