Connecting MacBook Pro wirelessly to Vizio Smart Tv

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2015

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and I purchased a new Vizio Smart TV. How do I connect my laptop to my tv wirelessly so I can stream movies and/or use the tv as a monitor? I don't want to buy Apple TV because I have a ROKU. Thanks in advance for any help! I have searched for this answer everywhere it seems!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

If you are running Windows 8 on your Mac (that would really be a shame) then you can use the Roku screen mirroring software to use your TV as a monitor wirelessly. 

As for using your Mac to stream media to your Roku or TV, YMMV. Your best chance for success would be to get the Plex application for Mac OS X. Plex has a channel on Roku. If your media files are not compatible with Plex then you are out of luck with this method. https://salrocks.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/stream-from-your-mac-via-dlna-to-your-roku-or-any-other-dlna-capable-device/

Your best results in using the TV as a monitor might be to connect it using HDMI. It would be the most reliable and will work with any operating system. I think your MBP has a Thunderbolt port for video output so you'll need to obtain a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

I also have a Visio smart TV and I don't believe it can directly connect to a DLNA server.

• Reply 2 of 3
    aortizaortiz Posts: 2member

Thank you SO MUCH for the information! I have been trolling the Internet for a concise answer and got frustrated.

The only Microsoft program I am running (or forced to run) is Office due to work. Otherwise, my MPB is strictly iOS.

I'll try your suggestion this weekend with Plex and the Roku. I may end up getting Apple TV at some time once they finish tweaking it and then it won't be an issue. I can give or take the Roku.

Thank you for your advice and time! 

JessicaM
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hi Guys, based on this article, and some experimentation I did, I came up with a second method to run DLNA from your Mac. And its using Brew and minidlna as shown on this new article: https://salrocks.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/dlna-on-mac-the-ultimate-guide/

Please take a look and let me know if I need to make any adjustments :) 
    linkman said:

If you are running Windows 8 on your Mac (that would really be a shame) then you can use the Roku screen mirroring software to use your TV as a monitor wirelessly. 

As for using your Mac to stream media to your Roku or TV, YMMV. Your best chance for success would be to get the Plex application for Mac OS X. Plex has a channel on Roku. If your media files are not compatible with Plex then you are out of luck with this method. https://salrocks.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/stream-from-your-mac-via-dlna-to-your-roku-or-any-other-dlna-capable-device/

Your best results in using the TV as a monitor might be to connect it using HDMI. It would be the most reliable and will work with any operating system. I think your MBP has a Thunderbolt port for video output so you'll need to obtain a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

I also have a Visio smart TV and I don't believe it can directly connect to a DLNA server.