Email from myself!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For some reason I get alot of spam, I have a new one today, someone sent me a spam mail from myself!

In the "From" field in Entourage (v. X) it said that it was from me, how the hell can that happen? If this person can send it to me from "me" then perhaps they might be able to send any message they like from "me". Is there any way I might be able to trace this? sorry to be dim.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chopper3:

<strong>For some reason I get alot of spam, I have a new one today, someone sent me a spam mail from myself!

In the "From" field in Entourage (v. X) it said that it was from me, how the hell can that happen? If this person can send it to me from "me" then perhaps they might be able to send any message they like from "me". Is there any way I might be able to trace this? sorry to be dim.

Thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Note: I'm only kinda sure I'm right on this. Don't bet your life on it or anything...

The "From" field just displays whatever's in the "Reply To" field of the email. So all they did was set the reply

to address to be the same as the destination address. If you want to know who really sent it, I think the internet headers will have it (in Entourage, it's under the "View" menu).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I remember doing that to my friends...

there are some websites that can do it for you...

last time I did it was in 1998 and the website is long gone...

there are "fake mailers" on the web... but they really cracked down on them...

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002
  • Reply 3 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I could set the "from" header to be anything with sendmail...not just the "reply to" one.