Misfit, Speedo team up for new Apple Store-exclusive Shine swim tracker

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
People who swim for fitness or competition will have a new option for tracking their progress some Sept. 1, when the Speedo Shine swim tracker --?a collaboration between wearables firm Misfit and swimwear brand Speedo --?will hit Apple Store shelves.

The new $79.99 Speedo Shine is a swimming-adapted version of Misfit's Shine fitness tracker, with what Misfit calls "proprietary lap counting algorithms" that more accurately track swimming lap counts. It currently synchronizes with Misfit's own iOS app, and will support Speedo's Speedo Fit app in the near future.

Speedo Shine maintains the same water resistance and activity and sleep tracking features of the original Shine, so users won't need to swap devices. The Shine also tracks walking running, cycling, and differentiates between light and deep sleep.

"Speedo's purpose is to inspire people to swim," Speedo marketing executive Jamie Cornforth said in a release. "The new Speedo Shine is a big step forward and will give swimmers the information they have always wanted, the ability to accurately track their laps, distance, calories and time. The new Speedo Shine also allows swimmers to take this information and seamlessly add it to their wider fitness data, providing an accurate and complete view of their total health and fitness regime."

Misfit -- cofounded by former Apple CEO John Sculley --?will also offer a special silver version of the Speedo Shine, which the company calls "Pure."

In addition Apple's retail stores, the Speedo Shine will be available for purchase Sept. 1 on Misfit.com and SpeedoUSA.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Pretty cool.

I'm always losing count of my laps. Swimming is probably one of the best health activities. No pounding on the joints, etc.

I work on my swimming mainly for the day I can't run the trails anymore.

After a run, swimming laps feels almost like a fully body massage. The water is great.  :)

Best

• Reply 2 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Thank goodness I saw the watch, when I saw the name Speedo, a bigger bulge in the front came to mind, you happy to see me or are you just counting laps. My sister and I used to put dildos in our swimsuits, nothing huge, just normal sized and go swimming at the public pool. Than we would send a friend into the crowd to record some of the comments people were saying. "Wow, they don't look like guys", "stop staring Timmy, but mommy why are they wearing, shutup Timmy", "I can't believe they let those kinds of people in here", "I think I'm gay now". Yes, we were sick kids but it made us laugh none the less, until our mom saw us doing it once, trying to explain where we got the fake penis's without admitting we went into an adult book-store was probably the hardest thing, no pun intended, 

• Reply 3 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

This is DOA without heartrate tracking.

• Reply 4 of 10
    I wish they made a version that could prompt you when you've reached a lap, calorie or time goal. Also, does this interface with the Health iOS app?

I love my Apple Watch, but it needs a companion to help track swimming.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Thank goodness I saw the watch, when I saw the name Speedo, a bigger bulge in the front came to mind, you happy to see me or are you just counting laps. My sister and I used to put dildos in our swimsuits, nothing huge, just normal sized and go swimming at the public pool. Than we would send a friend into the crowd to record some of the comments people were saying. "Wow, they don't look like guys", "stop staring Timmy, but mommy why are they wearing, shutup Timmy", "I can't believe they let those kinds of people in here", "I think I'm gay now". Yes, we were sick kids but it made us laugh none the less, until our mom saw us doing it once, trying to explain where we got the fake penis's without admitting we went into an adult book-store was probably the hardest thing, no pun intended, 

Alright.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Hilarious! :)

When I was 17, I was in a pool with my friend and there was a cute lifeguard. I started swimming and splashing as much as I could. I looked like a steamboat in the pool. She came up to me and said if I "knife" the water with my hand instead of slapping, I would swim better. I looked at her and said "Huh, OK." I  swam the length of the pool, did a flip turn like Tarzan. Came back to her and said, "Like that?" She said I was an a**hole.

She was right.

Best.

• Reply 7 of 10
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

What has been read, cannot be unread.  :err: 

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

What has been read, cannot be unread.  :err: 

Yeah, what was the point of that little story?

Sometimes even putting someone in the Block List is useless when others quote them. I like how you handled the quote though. Thanks!

• Reply 9 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

I thought that was pretty funny.

• Reply 10 of 10
    quenchquench Posts: 14member
    Relic, thanks for the belly laugh????.