App Downloads are SUPER slow

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

I have an iPhone 5S, running iOS 8.4.1.  In the last couple weeks, the time it takes to download new apps, update existing apps, or download music (all over wi-fi) has dramatically slowed down.  Last night it took 25 minutes to download a 50 mb update to an app, and on the weekend it took nearly 8 hours to download an album from iTunes.  Our wi-fi seems to be working fine for things like streaming video, surfing the internet, etc.  I've not noticed any slowdowns there at all.  My wife is having the same issue with her 5C.  Any ideas what's going on here?  I've had to resort to downloading app updates over my cellular connection because that is working like normal.  But, I don't have unlimited data, so I can't keep that up forever. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2

I have been having this problem too for the past week. Apple Music, Mac App Store, and iOS App Store downloads have all been excruciatingly slow over home wifi, even as everything else works normally, and Speedtest shows very fast wifi speeds on all devices.

Apple wanted me to restore all my devices, but I knew it had to be router or server related somehow, given how the problem was showing up.

Here's what worked for me: I changed the DNS settings on my home router from their default values to to OpenDNS. After I did that, all downloads went right back to normal. 

The OpenDNS IP addresses are:

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/

Hope this helps!

Steve

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemarks79 View Post

Here's what worked for me: I changed the DNS settings on my home router from their default values to to OpenDNS. After I did that, all downloads went right back to normal. 

The OpenDNS IP addresses are:

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/

Hope this helps!

Steve

Thank you thank you Steve!  I was stuck in hour 2 of an 11-hour 850MB app download and decided my time was better spent trying to chop that up.  I didn't know much about DNS but googled OpenDNS and followed your advice.  After changing my servers, pausing the download, and then resuming, suddenly I only had 17 minutes left.  Woohoo!

For anyone also using a Mac, here's how I went through the fix (OS:X El Capitan v10.11):

1. Click the Apple tab in the top-left corner

2. Click System Preferences

3. Click Network

4. Click Advanced

5. Click DNS

6. Write down the numbers you see in the DNS Servers box in case you ever need them again

7. Click the plus sign under the DNS Servers box

8. Type 208.67.222.222

9. Click the plus sign again

10. Type 208.67.220.220

11. If you're in the middle of a slow download, pause it for a few seconds and then resume it.

12. If it's still slow, you may need to re-open the programs you're using or reset your computer.  I didn't have to, but you never know.