Apple will ship new Apple TV hardware to select developers later this week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple on Monday began informing developers who won its Apple TV lottery that their new set-top boxes will begin shipping later this week, allowing them to build applications ahead of the October launch.

Developers who reached out to AppleInsider on Monday indicated that they had been contacted by Apple, informing them that they were selected for the developer program. Those who were chosen must accept and purchase their new Apple TV by Wednesday.

Apple is only charging developers who were chosen $1 for the purchase, to verify their name and address before shipping the unit.
A select number of developers will receive Apple TV units ahead of the device's October launch.
Developers who complete their purchase are informed by Apple that the unit will ship within 1 to 3 business days. With that turnaround, it's possible that some could begin receiving their new Apple TV by the end of this week.

The revamped Apple TV was announced last week, featuring a dedicated App Store with third-party software. Developers will be able to create apps for the new Apple TV just like they do on iPhone, iPad and Mac.

The new Apple TV powers its App Store with an all-new operating system dubbed tvOS. AppleInsider went hands-on with the new hardware and software at last week's event.

Beyond apps, one of the defining features of the new Apple TV is its Siri Remote, which allows users to quickly find and narrow down content by just using their voice. It also features motion sensors and a touchpad for new forms of input and gameplay with titles on the App Store.

When the new Apple TV launches to the public in October, it will start at $149 for the entry-level 32-gigabyte model, while a larger 64-gigabyte variant will cost $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Great! Maybe AI can do an over-the-shoulder review with a cooperative dev so we can get some answers to burning questions of what it possible with the new device.
  • Reply 2 of 23

Just got my email and it's on the way. Woohoo!  Now I really need to start figuring out the app I'm going to build.

• Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Great! Maybe AI can do an over-the-shoulder review with a cooperative dev so we can get some answers to burning questions of what it possible with the new device.

Was wondering the same thing myself, but perhaps they're under NDA not to reveal anything? Still, some talk I know, and I am definitely eager to find out everything there is to find out about the device.

• Reply 4 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Pretty good developer discount there; Apple don't normally do that do they?

• Reply 5 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday began informing developers who won its Apple TV lottery that their new set-top boxes will begin shipping later this week, allowing them to build applications ahead of the October launch.

But the new hardware doesn’t have a legacy optical audio port so why bother developing for it? I mean no one is going to buy such a crippled piece of junk when millions upon millions of users find it totally useless now. /s

• Reply 6 of 23

I'm pretty excited for the new Apple TV, especially now hearing VLC and Plex will both have apps on the app store. 

• Reply 7 of 23
    I cannot wait to place my order for one of these. Seriously. I haven't purchased an Apple product on day one in a few years but I'll be ready whether it's order or pre-order.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But the new hardware doesn’t have a legacy optical audio port so why bother developing for it? I mean no one is going to buy such a crippled piece of junk when millions upon millions of users find it totally useless now. /s

Personally, I am a bit dissapointed about that as it removes some flexibility. Sometimes, I like to listen to music while a game is on TV. As I do with my current ATV. Now, I will not be able to do that. Not a deal breaker, for sure.

• Reply 9 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

It does imply they are comfortable getting these into the wild. While I'm sure the agreement you have to click through contains an NDA, they know info will get out anyway. If they were not confident, they wouldn't seed them this early.

• Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Personally, I am a bit dissapointed about that as it removes some flexibility. Sometimes, I like to listen to music while a game is on TV. As I do with my current ATV. Now, I will not be able to do that. Not a deal breaker, for sure.

I don't understand how you can't do that when the new Apple TV comes out. I do that now with HDMI. I have music on via the Apple TV while watching a sports game on Directv.  

• Reply 11 of 23
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Pretty good developer discount there; Apple don't normally do that do they?

Not usually, no.  I actually thought that the lottery was just for a chance to get it ahead of time, but you'd still have to pay full price.  Like they did with the ? Watch.  Nice little surprise.

• Reply 12 of 23

In the run-up to the AW release, the site watchaware.com put up some basic demos of what some of the early apps were going to look like and the basics of their function. Hopefully we will see something like that in the coming few weeks.

• Reply 13 of 23

Just got my e-mail, placing the order now.  Now, if they would only give me a free watch!

• Reply 14 of 23
    Yay! Just saw the email, it's on the way. Now what app am I building.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

I cannot wait to place my order for one of these. Seriously. I haven't purchased an Apple product on day one in a few years but I'll be ready whether it's order or pre-order.

When you've been sitting on a generation as long in the tooth as the current Apple TV, I would imagine you wanted this thing yesterday.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Paying $20 for the HDMI to coax, or HDMI to optical converter will crippling? (If you want, you can buy 500 for you and your friends for less than $5 a pop on Alibaba...)

• Reply 17 of 23
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I love my Apple TV, but seriously how will the new one play my iTunes to my stereo via my NAD D 3020? Wireless quality is not even close to wired
  • Reply 18 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

I love my Apple TV, but seriously how will the new one play my iTunes to my stereo via my NAD D 3020? Wireless quality is not even close to wired

With this, of course...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBHX072/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d4_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=0XE94BZ5XFPVT0C83CVR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2090149782&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Reply 19 of 23
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I'm pretty excited for the new Apple TV, especially now hearing VLC and Plex will both have apps on the app store. 

As SIRI in iOS 9 can search for app content, can we assume SIRI on Apple TV will be able to search Plex content soon?

• Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

Then you have some serious wireless interference in your house. AirPlay is lossless.