Apple says iOS 8 on 87% of compatible devices days before iOS 9 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
In an update to its developer webpage ahead of Wednesday's iOS 9 release, Apple revealed that the soon to be replaced iOS 8 is currently running on 87 percent of compatible devices.




The statistic posted to Apple's App Store Support page shows 11 percent of devices are running iOS 7, while earlier iOS versions account for a two percent share. Apple drew its data from App Store visitations on Sept. 14.

Compared to the same time last year, when iOS 7 was about to be replaced by iOS 8, adoption for Apple's current-generation operating system is down three points. Despite booming iPhone sales and the release of Apple Music with iOS 8.4, uptake rates have been moderate. In April, Apple measured iOS 8 adoption at 81 percent.

After an official unveiling in June, Apple's iOS 9 is scheduled for release tomorrow. The new operating system will bring users a number of enhancements over iOS 8, including a tweaked UI, a News app, smarter Siri interactions, iPad-specific multitasking and Transit data for Maps, the latter being a much anticipated addition.

The new OS is designed to take full advantage of Apple's upcoming iPhone 6s and 6s Plus smartphones with support for pressure-sensitive 3D Touch finger input. Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro gets special attention with a subsystem for recognizing pressure- and tilt-sensitive Apple Pencil input, compatibility with Apple's new Smart Keyboard and support for big-screen multitasking.

Apple usually releases new iOS versions at around 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, though an official launch window has not been provided for iOS 9.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    This is awesome.

    There's a YouTube video of a guy who switched to iPhone from an iPhoney.

    During one part he says "I got an update like yesterday!!" Shocked at Apple updates.
    I almost felt sorry for iknockoff owners.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Corinthian leather and green felt have officially been added to the endangered species list. :smokey:
  • Reply 3 of 38

    Should be interesting to see the adoption curve for iOS 9. There's a lot of reasons it might beat even iOS 7's record-

     

    -it doesn't drop support for any hardware

    -it only requires 1GB free space

    -coincidentally, app thinning will free up 1GB over the coming days for many users

    -it offers what people actually want- better battery life

  • Reply 4 of 38
    I wonder what would be a real iOS 8 ratio across all iOS devices in the wild including "not compatible" ones
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post



    I wonder what would be a real iOS 8 ratio across all iOS devices in the wild including "not compatible" ones



    Why would you wonder that? Apple's stats reflect exactly that, and correlate well with completely different methodologies such as this one. There is no legitimate reason to doubt Apple's numbers at all. Well, except for the confusion that AI introduced by using the term "compatible" which does not appear anywhere on Apple's website. Their stats are based on app store downloads which can come from any device.

  • Reply 6 of 38

    YAY! For the first time in my life.......I'm in the majority!!! :D

  • Reply 7 of 38
    proline wrote: »

    Why would you wonder that? Apple's stats reflect exactly that, and correlate well with completely different methodologies such as this one. There is no legitimate reason to doubt Apple's numbers at all. Well, except for the confusion that AI introduced by using the term "compatible" which does not appear anywhere on Apple's website. Their stats are based on app store downloads which can come from any device.

    People with iOS 7 and older are less likely to visit the App Store given that many apps aren't compatible. It's a valid question.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    People with iOS 7 and older are less likely to visit the App Store given that many apps aren't compatible. It's a valid question.
    No actually it isn't. Unless you're saying they're less likely to use the web, seeing as the source I gave above is for all web usage, which shows even higher iOS 8 adoption than Apple. Nobody has put forward an argument with any merit that questions these stats after many years- time to give it a rest.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    I have a 5s and stayed on OS7 until this past weekend. The glitches I encountered on my iPad kept me from 8 until now. Normally I update my phone about 3 months after the launch, sacrificing a different and less important device than my phone first. Like it or not, I grabbed iOS 8 now because I Would have been forced to jump from 7 to 9. Yup you guessed it - I'm a corporate IT employee and let others and my less essential device be reserved for the beta testing. :).
  • Reply 10 of 38
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,133member
    My iPad 3 was made barely useable when I upgraded to iOS 8, so I quickly advised my friends and family who had iPad 2 or 3 not to upgrade, most are still on iOS 7.

    iOS 8 was a poorly optimised bag of hurt for people with older devices when it was released, although subsequent updates have alleviated this a bit.

    From what I've read iOS 9 is supposed to give a bit of life back to the older iPads, I hope that's the case.

    I'm still one of those who felt screwed when the iPad 3 was tossed to the curb such a short while after launch, got burned on that purchase. 2 years old £500 device essentially bricked by iOS 8!
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saarek View Post



    My iPad 3 was made barely useable when I upgraded to iOS 8, so I quickly advised my friends and family who had iPad 2 or 3 not to upgrade, most are still on iOS 7.



    iOS 8 was a poorly optimised bag of hurt for people with older devices when it was released, although subsequent updates have alleviated this a bit.



    From what I've read iOS 9 is supposed to give a bit of life back to the older iPads, I hope that's the case.



    I'm still one of those who felt screwed when the iPad 3 was tossed to the curb such a short while after launch, got burned on that purchase. 2 years old £500 device essentially bricked by iOS 8!

     

    You got go back from a IOS 8 upgrade, you can even remove it easily from your device (unlike 7) so why not do it?

  • Reply 12 of 38
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    proline wrote: »

    Why would you wonder that? Apple's stats reflect exactly that, and correlate well with completely different methodologies such as this one. There is no legitimate reason to doubt Apple's numbers at all. Well, except for the confusion that AI introduced by using the term "compatible" which does not appear anywhere on Apple's website. Their stats are based on app store downloads which can come from any device.

    Are you sure AI introduced "compatible?"

    If it is just compatible then the figures are slightly off. The iPhone 4 was on sale in certain markets this year and last.
  • Reply 13 of 38

    I'm in the 2% "Earlier" category.

    Because I want my iPad 2 to run smoothly as the day I bought it. And it does.

  • Reply 14 of 38
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

     

     

    You got go back from a IOS 8 upgrade, you can even remove it easily from your device (unlike 7) so why not do it?




    iOS 7 is no longer digitally signed by Apple and has not been for a long time now, I supposed I could look to do a full restore and launch an IPSW file. But I have had issues in the past with restoring a backup from a newer version onto a device reformated to a an older version of iOS.

     

    With the subsequent updates it's now more of an annoyance that my iPad feels sluggish even with simple tasks as opposed to "This is completely unuseable now".

     

    I got burned with the iPad 3. Did not realise at the time that it was effectively an iPad 2 with slightly beefed up specs to support the retina display.

     

    It's a shame, because I have never had buyers remourse with any other Apple Product that I ever bought.

  • Reply 15 of 38
    sphericspheric Posts: 1,766member
    I'm surprised at how well my old iPad 2 runs iOS 8. It's really okay for casual use.
  • Reply 16 of 38

    My wife updated to iOS 8 on her iPad2 a few weeks ago (she got fed up of being nagged about the update) and now spends all her time yelling at it because it's so slow and constantly crashes. The biggest issue is the message 'this webpage encountered and error and so was reloaded'.

     

    I've been suffering with iOS8 on my iPad 3 since it came out, so have got used to how awful the experience is, but we're both hoping iOS 9 is a little better.

  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

     

    My wife updated to iOS 8 on her iPad2 a few weeks ago (she got fed up of being nagged about the update) and now spends all her time yelling at it because it's so slow and constantly crashes. The biggest issue is the message 'this webpage encountered and error and so was reloaded'.

     

    I've been suffering with iOS8 on my iPad 3 since it came out, so have got used to how awful the experience is, but we're both hoping iOS 9 is a little better.




    That webpage encountered error is really annoying.

  • Reply 18 of 38
    I'm writing this to you on an iPad 3 running iOS8. I have no problems at all with the device and I use it heavily. I'd suggest you reset your to factory settings and start over if you have serious issues -- they are not reflective of most people's real world performance.

    I do wonder why AI put the word 'compatible' in there. I actually think that would be a better statistic, what percentage of devices that can run ios8 do run it? Apple doesn't appear to be saying that, but AI is proposing that is what is being quoted. I'd love to hear why they quote it that way? Maybe they have details that are not apparent?

    P.S. I do think an iPad 2 is a device that should stay on older software as it just doesn't have the guts to keep up with the latest. It will be interesting to hear if iOS9 has made that situation any better as some have speculated.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see some iOS 9 reviews have already started to drop. And the memo went out, the template has been set. "Revolutionary" is the buzz word this year. I can save people time reading these reviews:

    iOS 9 isn't revolutionary, just an incremental update that borrows heavily from Google and Microsoft and still doesn't do everything I want but since it's a free update and it didn't brick my phone yeah you might as well go ahead and upstate.
  • Reply 20 of 38

    Updated my iPad 3 to iOS 8 and it has been great through every update. Now on 9. You should have factory restored and reinstalled.

Sign In or Register to comment.