How to turn off or hide the Selfies folder/album in iOS 9?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015
Does anyone know? I find it annoying.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

It's incredibly annoying! Is it really THAT hard for them to put a switch in the Photo Preferences? Is it any wonder people think Apple is arrogant? They're just so sure that everyone wants a Selfies album that they won't let us turn it off??

I know, I know...there are real problems to worry about, but still this drives me nuts! 

And don't get me started on the undeletable Chess app on the Mac...

• Reply 2 of 7
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

What are you kidding? Its a useful smart album, like every other smart album. You find it annoying. Right. I find people like you annoying.

• Reply 3 of 7
    In no way, shape, or form have I ever used the word selfie nor taken a selfie. I am not a teenager and don't speak in that manner. I'm horrified every time I open my photos and see the word. I have photos of my toddler in that folder and none of me! I'm infuriated that Apple now dictates the names of my albums with teen talk!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    amesch wrote: »
    In no way, shape, or form have I ever used the word selfie nor taken a selfie. I am not a teenager and don't speak in that manner. I'm horrified every time I open my photos and see the word. I have photos of my toddler in that folder and none of me! I'm infuriated that Apple now dictates the names of my albums with teen talk!

You just used that word here twice.
  • Reply 5 of 7

So, the answer is: there's no way to delete it?  

• Reply 6 of 7
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Checking this a little late. Thanks to everyone for the replies. 

I've gotten used to it. 
  • Reply 7 of 7

Selfies is a predefined album, that you cannot delete or hide, just like the smart album Panoramic.The album does not actually show selfies, it will show any photo taken with the front camera of an iPhone. Just ignore the silly name "Selfies" and consider it the album where you will find the photos taken with the front camera.On the plus side - this album makes it easy to find and delete  selfies you do not want on your iPhone.Apple used to make these features optional. It was one of the great things about Apple: you could customise how your computer/tablet/phone loked like (to a certain extent). Now they've forced a "Selfies" folder, a "Screenshots" folder and a "Recently deleted" folder on us (I know the latter was there since iOS 8, but that's beside the point). To add insult to injury, they've made it impossible to hide these folders or move them to the bottom of the list. Adding photos in my camera roll to one of my folders used to be a relatively quick process (tap "Select", select the photos to be moved, tap "Done" or "Next" or whatever, and choose a folder); now they've added a necessary step to that process (scrolling down to make my folders visible). I realise it's a matter of a second or two, but the seconds add up and eventually become a lot of wasted time.