Brussels Apple Store offers glimpse at radical design changes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple's new store in Brussels, Belgium -- officially opening Saturday -- will sport a look and layout unlike any other location, suggesting trends for upcoming outlets.

Image Credit: <a href=@jpswansea on Twitter" />
Image Credit: @jpswansea on Twitter

Although the company's signature display tables are in place, the shop also has wooden product shelves that more closely resemble a fashion outlet or bookstore, photos obtained by AppleInsider show. Beats headphones, for example, are hung on wooden knobs, and even iPhone cases are arranged in a more attractive manner.

The Apple Watch is highlighted through both display tables and a wall presentation. A Saturday launch of the Watch in Belgium was confirmed earlier on Thursday.

Image Credit: <a href=@jpswansea on Twitter" />
Image Credit: @jpswansea on Twitter

Several trees occupy the middle of the store, and Le Soir footage shot at a press preview features a giant video display towards the back.

A number of reports have indicated that Apple is moving its stores in a more fashion-oriented direction, spearheaded by retail head Angela Ahrendts -- formerly the CEO of Burberry -- and newly-appointed chief design officer Jonathan Ive. A major driver of the change is believed to be interest in attracting more luxury shoppers to the Watch.

The Brussels outlet shares similarities with a proposed shop near Memphis, hinting that future expansions will share the same design cues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder how many of these changes are going to come to Apple stores in shopping malls. Where I live four out of our five Apple stores are in shopping malls.

Where is the Genius Bar? Or is Apple getting rid of that?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I see TEN trees, not two.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Am I seeing several shrubs inside the apple store?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Not sure i am a fan of the trees. A little cluttered.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Nothing looks radically different to me. Upgraded shelf style? Yes, but it all looks like a tweaking/evolution of the way Apple Stores have long been designed.

(Except the trees! If every Apple Store is going to get indoor trees, that might qualify as a "radical design change!")
  • Reply 6 of 31

Not the first time Apple has used indoor trees...

Apple Store Bondi

• Reply 7 of 31

The pictures in this article don't do any justice. They made a lot of display changes with that headphones and phone cases are displayed on the floor. Those tree double as a seating area for people waiting on the Genius Bar. They introduced more textures and materials other than just the aluminum look of the overall store. They got rid of a few of those big backlit picture advertisements that they had and also the iPad smart signs that took over a lot of table space. Also, in the first picture against the back wall is a giant display used for workshops, advertisements, etc. 9to5 article included like 3 times the amount of pictures that give you a better idea of the changes.

• Reply 8 of 31

I think it's gorgeous!

Love the wood and the pull-out drawers for stock.

The Apple Watch will prove to be a significant gateway product for new Apple customers, and these new spaces seem like they'd be very inviting for walk-ins.

• Reply 9 of 31

Unless those are apple trees, I don't get it.

• Reply 10 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these changes are going to come to Apple stores in shopping malls. Where I live four out of our five Apple stores are in shopping malls.

Where is the Genius Bar? Or is Apple getting rid of that?

Apple will NOT get rid of the Genius Bar. That's a signature part of their service. It's likely where it is in other stores, near the back somewhere. Or upstairs, if there is an upstairs.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Heh heh!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh heh!

Also, I can imagine bugs crawling around, on and in computers and other stuff inside the store because of these trees. What a baffling decision on Apple's part... Why, oh, why is Jony Ive being given influence over areas of the company in which he has no expertise? Gads...

• Reply 13 of 31

Also, I can imagine bugs crawling around, on and in computers and other stuff inside the store because of these trees. What a baffling decision on Apple's part... Why, oh, why is Jony Ive being given influence over areas of the company in which he has no expertise? Gads...

There are no bugs!

Just features!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I love trees so much I'd put up with bugs.

• Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There are two trees... so they must be a 'pear'  :)

• Reply 16 of 31

maybe you should write cook and let him know he's running it wrong?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    s.metcalf wrote: »

Which reminds me... Those store pics look cool, futuristic, minimal, and different than anything before.

Jobs and team didn't go for "resembling" current chic stores. They showed everyone else what could be.

While the "ahrendts store" looks nice, it isn't any better than the current store designs and may actually be s backward step in term of not only style, but style and layout leadership as well. This looks like Apple is following others. Not leading the way.

I know this is just s little "teh internetz" opinion. But I really hope someone with authority reads mine and s few others.

Jobs bulldozed the way forward because that's what it took to move ahead. The new team, though in some ways even greater than Jobs, are more apologists and appeasers.

Hopefully that stays in the rightful places and Apole continues to grab industries by the horns and show them how it's done.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

A subtle Art Nouveau hint - like the building itself - would've been nice.

• Reply 19 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How exactly is this store going backwards? I don't see it as a radical redesign but then I don't think Apple stores need a radical redesign they just need to become a bit warmer. Also there are trees inside 1 infinite loop and the newer employee cafeteria so maybe that's where Apple got the idea from.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Not to mention the oxygen. Think of all the oxygen! What's that going to do to the precious machines in there?

Sometimes I think Jony Ive is going all human on us.

/s